What's new

I've Never Had A Job ...

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I think its bad (overall). At some point in time you're gonna have to prove how you have what you've got. I'm not so faithful about soc.sec. so I wouldn't count on that, but if LEO finds out about you, all your stuff can be taken if they bust you. Go get a job at a nursery and learn more about growing....if anything it'll help out both areas of your life. I don't really enjoy my work so much any more but im a few years from retirement and so it makes no sense to stop now....good luck to ya.

Norkali

You fall into the category of EXTREMELY unemployable.

No work history and a degree that has never been put to use, there is going to be a few million people in front of you if you ever look for a job.

You must be ballin' in a med state, better hope that bubble never bursts. Because you'll be asking "do you want fries with that?"

Unless you have a charismatic, intelligent, and creative personality, this is probably true, sadly.

If you ever want a house or property, hopefully you can pay cash. Because you'll never get a loan.

And this.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
you need to pick up some internships in whatever career your degree is in.

all these old heads don't understand how dramatically times have changed.

there are no more entry-level jobs.

now you have unpaid internships.

you should have been bussing tables, delivering pizzas, flipping burgers, etc while you were a teenager. a totally blank work history is going to ensure you never get a job.

hell even "not real" jobs (which are the new labor jobs, only without benefits and unions and raises and pensions) like being a barista at starbucks are going to hesitate to hire you.

it sounds like your parents have some money if you never felt it necessary to work in high school. if that is the case, swallow your pride and ask them to do some networking and see if they can't get you an interview or two.

luckly for you, the free labor of unpaid internships makes their hiring standards a bit lower. this is what is gonna get you the expeirence and references to put together an actual resume.

GL to you.

Suspect

Veteran
Do whatever keeps you and your peoples happy. There's no shame in either working or not.

dddaver

Veteran
Lotta positives. Lotta negatives, the worst being getting the IRS on your ass, taking your shit, throwing your ass in jail. And I hope you're putting something away because SS and healthcare won't be there for you. But, being free, cool. Just better plan on what happens later. (I forgot, credit must be a problem, since in this country (US?) EVERYTHING runs on credit, so PROBLEM. :woohoo:

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I think its bad (overall). At some point in time you're gonna have to prove how you have what you've got. I'm not so faithful about soc.sec. so I wouldn't count on that, but if LEO finds out about you, all your stuff can be taken if they bust you. Go get a job at a nursery and learn more about growing....if anything it'll help out both areas of your life. I don't really enjoy my work so much any more but im a few years from retirement and so it makes no sense to stop now....good luck to ya.

Man that's the perfect suggestion, seriously. I'm jealous I didn't think of it? :) I mean if you gotta work then make work, work for you. Well played sir. :)

Snoopster

Veteran
I know a guy thats has spent the last 30 some years living and working in Mexico. Now that he is nearing 60 he discovered he has no Social Security etc cause he didn't work in the U S. Now some may say thats not such a bad thing, you can hustle your ass of and if your not careful you wake up and your 60 something and don't have any retirement. Think about the future, yeah its hard to do when your 25, I used to think that way, then one day you wake up and the last 30 or 40 years has flown by like you won't believe. So just remember to put some aside for the future. Do I sound like some one old man well its only cause I found out how fast it all flies by.

Good advice for anyone.

When I was in my 20s and had some extras cash I put it in IRAs. There is no way social security will be around when I am ready to collect it. My dad gets it and it covers his utility bill with some change left.

I am not planning on my government doing shit to help me.
I might be able to retire by 57 1/2.

HempKat

Veteran
you need to pick up some internships in whatever career your degree is in.

all these old heads don't understand how dramatically times have changed.

there are no more entry-level jobs.

now you have unpaid internships.

you should have been bussing tables, delivering pizzas, flipping burgers, etc while you were a teenager. a totally blank work history is going to ensure you never get a job.

hell even "not real" jobs (which are the new labor jobs, only without benefits and unions and raises and pensions) like being a barista at starbucks are going to hesitate to hire you.

it sounds like your parents have some money if you never felt it necessary to work in high school. if that is the case, swallow your pride and ask them to do some networking and see if they can't get you an interview or two.

luckly for you, the free labor of unpaid internships makes their hiring standards a bit lower. this is what is gonna get you the expeirence and references to put together an actual resume.

GL to you.

Don't under estimate us old heads, internships aren't nothing new. Personally though I can't see advocating someone working for free. The closest I can say is acceptable is working as part of a college program where you don't get paid but you earn credits toward your degree. Which can be a big savings because of not having to take other purely academic classes to accumulate enough credits. Plus such programs usually transition immediately into jobs if your work is good. I know a number of people from my generation that started out this way and now make 5 and 6 figure incomes as programmers and Computer Engineers.

Back on point though that doesn't apply here since he's got a degree already and as I said I don't condone working for free. You do realize that crap only exists because people are so desperate to get work they'll do that. No small wonder though we crank out college grads every year saddled with debt equivilent to buying a single family home. You young people should stop making it so easy for these companies to take advantage of you. Over the past decade or two average incomes have declined, benefits have disappeared and you're being expected basically to be more productive for less compensation. In some fields it's become so fierce that people have allowed themselves to be tethered to their jobs with thier Crackberries and such almost as effectively as if they were under house arrest because their employers are expecting them to be productive for the company, even when they're at home. At a bare minimum internships should at least pay minimum wage. When companies start giving people at least that much respect, then I'll reccommend internships.

HempKat

Veteran
Good advice for anyone.

When I was in my 20s and had some extras cash I put it in IRAs. There is no way social security will be around when I am ready to collect it. My dad gets it and it covers his utility bill with some change left.

I am not planning on my government doing shit to help me.
I might be able to retire by 57 1/2.

Yeah unfortunately for most people under the age of around 55 or so they aren't likely to get social security unless they become disabled in the near future or they (the government) actually get around to fixing it if that's even possible?

supermanlives

Veteran
out of curiosity do you mind telling what degreee you got? owe any student loans? i know quiet a few young folks with worthless degrees and huge student loans. i went with trades and certified mechanic. i can always make money. hell i can do cheap brakejobs in my driveway. as a kid i was warned to have multiple skills and its served me well.

Latest posts

Latest posts