What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

It looks like my Boveda 62 Packs are actually about 45 to 48 ???? Really??

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I don't want to get into the love/hate argument about Boveda. I know some people love and some hate. I used them when they first came out and I don't use them much any more. However, I keep them around in case I fuck up and over-dry something. Right now I have 2 different purchases of Bovedas. 1 is the large 67 size, which is almost always what I use. And the other is the smaller size 8. All are 62RH

The size 67's are about a year old. The size 8's are a few months old. Maybe 6.

OK, now to my story.

I am harvesting and drying a bunch of pot lately and I use the little cheapo hygrometers during the drying and curing to keep track. I know these are cheapo but I have been using them for many years and I love them. I might toss 2 or 3 into the same jar and take an average. They are usually withing 5 or 7 so that's enough for me to know if a jar is sweating at 80%+. Not perfect... adequate.

Recently, I harvested about 10 or 15 ounces so I needed a bunch of my hygrometers. Over the years I have bought many of these and right now I probably have 50 or 60. What I do in a case like this is to take about 10 or 15 hygrometers and put them in a half gallon Ball jar with a couple Boveda 62's and when I need a hygrometer I pick the one from the jar which is closest to 62. Duh. Dick fucking Tracy.

Sometimes I use a pie plate covered in Saran wrap or a clear Pyrex cake pan with a rubber lid placed upside down with the hygrometers on the lid. Either way, air tight shit. And, then pick the hygrometer closest to 62.

So, the other day I am jarring and I am grabbing hygrometers off the plate and I am noticing that I have very few the 62RH reading. Most were in the mid 40's. WTF? I know these things do wear out and loose accuracy. In the past, I have pulled them apart and cleaned the sensor with alcohol and sometimes that brings them back. I have tossed more than a few into the trash.

However, this time, I didn't have enough accurate hygrometers to finish the job so I get on Amazon and I order 20 more hygrometers. Got them today ( I love Amazon LOL)

When I got the 20 new hygrometers I took them out of their box and put them into a jar with a couple Boveda 62's. This was a few hours ago and I noticed that almost every hygrometer was reading about 45. WTF? I thought to myself. Did I get an entire batch of bad hygrometers?

So, I put my Oregon Scientific sensor in the jar and bingo.... 45%. Damn. I put 3 more sensors in the jar. Another Oregon Scientific and a Caliber IV and a Hygroset. Everything reads mid-40's.

Now, I understand that a Boveda can dry up but I never knew they actually changed RH during their life.

So, I run a few tests. As I see it, out of 4 Boveda 62's from the same purchase and all the same age and same condition, one is around 55%, and 2 of them are real steady at about 45%.

The little 8 gram packs are showing about 60 but I have about 6 or 7 of the packs in one jar so it's an average.

Damn, I was never a huge lover of Boveda and not a hater. But, at least I thought they were fairly accurate. I hate to think I am putting a 45% Boveda into my wonderful 65% cannabis.

Summary and conclusion: "This Shit Don't Make No Sense"

First thing I would do is check the meters for accuracy, ie: the salt water test. I probably have 30 or 40 of the same meters and this year i threw out 10 of them because they wernt accurate anymore.