What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Issues

RB56

Veteran
Those pots are way too big. I would suggest taking them out and putting them in Solo cups or something like that for now or else you're going to have all kinds of issues with feeding going forward.
I agree with this - not just too big for the plants in their early stages, too big for coir, unless you have a very specific plan minimize watering requirements, in which case soil would probably make more sense. I use an aero cloner, so I only use Solo cups when starting seeds, then into 2 liter pots then into the 2 gallon pots where they finish. 5 gallon pots with coir are for LARGE plants , like plants that would be too big for one to fit in your tent. I'd probably finish this run with what you've got, but I'll bet when you break things down, you'll find a root ball that would fit in a 1 or 2 gallon pot.

Also wanted to mention that your plants shouldn't start to stink until they get bigger. If you're trying to budget purchases, you could probably install the duct fan and ducting first, then add the charcoal filter in a few weeks.

Kingkanna

I agree with this - not just too big for the plants in their early stages, too big for coir, unless you have a very specific plan minimize watering requirements, in which case soil would probably make more sense. I use an aero cloner, so I only use Solo cups when starting seeds, then into 2 liter pots then into the 2 gallon pots where they finish. 5 gallon pots with coir are for LARGE plants , like plants that would be too big for one to fit in your tent. I'd probably finish this run with what you've got, but I'll bet when you break things down, you'll find a root ball that would fit in a 1 or 2 gallon pot.

Also wanted to mention that your plants shouldn't start to stink until they get bigger. If you're trying to budget purchases, you could probably install the duct fan and ducting first, then add the charcoal filter in a few weeks.

Would you suggest 5 gallon coco then for outdoor then? Because I'm taking clones before I put into flower, and It will be roughly that time to transplant them into bigger pots for outside. I'm doing 15 plants outside and 4 in my tent next run.

RB56

Veteran
Would you suggest 5 gallon coco then for outdoor then? Because I'm taking clones before I put into flower, and It will be roughly that time to transplant them into bigger pots for outside. I'm doing 15 plants outside and 4 in my tent next run.
I've never had the pleasure of growing outdoors. I'm sure someone else in this thread can advise.

Kingkanna

Do I need to flush for a week before taking clones? I have read that I need to flush each pot with 2 gallons ph neutral water per gallon pot. So I have 5 gallon pots which is 10 gallons a pot daily. With 3 pots that's 30 gallon daily, for 7 days before cutting for clones. Is this neccessary to do?

RB56

Veteran
Do I need to flush for a week before taking clones? I have read that I need to flush each pot with 2 gallons ph neutral water per gallon pot. So I have 5 gallon pots which is 10 gallons a pot daily. With 3 pots that's 30 gallon daily, for 7 days before cutting for clones. Is this neccessary to do?
I've never heard of this and I've never done this. Not saying there isn't anything to it since my knowledge is entirely based on what I've learned myself and far more, what I've learned from this site. Probably all sorts of things I've never heard of. OTOH, my cuttings always root, so safe to say all of that flushing isn't necessary.

G

No bro.

You dont want to take clones from dry plants as you want the clones to be full of moisture so they stand up to the cloning process better. So water a few hours beforehand. Same amount and same nutes as you always do.

Much better to start in small pots and pot-up as the roots fill the medium. You got stagnant waterlogged coco, unused, just sitting otherwise. Coco plants perform much better when the roots have completely filled the growing container. Plants put into flower before adequate rootzone development suffer.
5 gallon pots will be fine outside, you will be watering multiple times daily if you grow large plants in good weather.

Kingkanna

Yes i will post photos tomorrow. Gonna veg for 2 more weeks take clones then flip to flower. Now im wondering how much sugar i should add during flower per galoon of water.

Kingkanna

Week 3 veg

Attachments

• 20200110_004727.jpg
    20200110_004727.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 35

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Probably trying to "make" molasses or something"? I dunno. I would slow down Kingkanna, you can easily get overwhelmed with information and techniques and who says to do what. I would focus on getting a grow or 3 under your belt, then you can start worrying about all the other "stuff".

MrBungle

It is good to look ahead.... but not that far ahead! Lets get through veg.. then flip over to flower, and follow the instructions on your nutrient bottles for now.... Sugar can attract bugs... I would avoid that all together....

Kingkanna

We are in flower now took clones today now comes the fun part of keeps the temp from getting to low in the winter in the northeast... tent currently at 68 degrees.

Latest posts

Latest posts