What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Isobutane and Stability....

Gtir

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
So you're having nice stability w the new mix?

Is it possible that's just a result of new solvent w less water in it?

My initial run with isobutane was the first time I used it after distilling, and could not get stable...

Now with the added propane its perfect stability. Between hard shatter and pull n snap...

Easy to carry in your hand and easy to snap little pieces off, but still pliable....

Gtir

My initial run with isobutane was the first time I used it after distilling, and could not get stable...

Now with the added propane its perfect stability. Between hard shatter and pull n snap...

Easy to carry in your hand and easy to snap little pieces off, but still pliable....

I will try this tommorow, I've been experimenting w solvent mixes for a while now. You bought the 70/30 ISO/propane from ecogreen right? They don't sell a ISO/n

Gtir

How did you mix the solvents? Did you move them w the liquid side or vapor side? Because if you moved by pulling vapor then that changes the mix.

krunchbubble

Veteran
I will try this tommorow, I've been experimenting w solvent mixes for a while now. You bought the 70/30 ISO/propane from ecogreen right? They don't sell a ISO/n

IsoBUTANE from ecogreen

Butane/Propane from a new supplier who I am happy with, Ultra Pure Enterprises...

krunchbubble

Veteran
What is your pressure/temp of your solvent tank?

I dont have a pressure or temp gauge on my tank, upgrading to a SS one here soon...

I notice running this mix, it seemed about 20psi higher then straight nbutane. Where as the oil at 20psi with this mix, looks like 0 psi with nbutane...

aphyllo

Hello, I only use isobutane (white clipper not the yellow one) as it is the only ultra refine gas available here. I have made great shatter with it, very stable with good color made from buds only

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello, I only use isobutane (white clipper not the yellow one) as it is the only ultra refine gas available here. I have made great shatter with it, very stable with good color made from buds only

Usually canned butane is a mixture of propane, isobutane, and butane. Without a little propane there's not enough pressure to keep a flame going at cold ambient temperatures.

You can test what you have yourself with a thermometer, squirt some into a container, and observe the boil off temps,

Propane boiling point −42.25 to −42.04 °C; −44.05 to −43.67 °F; 230.90 to 231.11 K

and then,

Isobutane boiling point −11.7 °C; 10.9 °F; 261.4 K

and finally,

Butane boiling point −1 to 1 °C; 30 to 34 °F; 272 to 274 K