What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ISO-3 by D Gold

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Some of ya'll mature brothers and sisters will remember D. Gold's ISO-1 and II Isomerizers from the 70's, and some of ya'll young researchers may have cast eyes upon one or at least a picture.

Starting with the ISO-1, below is a picture from a brochure. First concept, direct and utilitarian, followed by a picture of the ISO-2,
which was both functional and elegant in design:

Hee, hee, hee, followed by the Super Flower Tower, actually built and distributed by others, after D Gold stopped marketing his ISO-2.

https://www.superflowertower.com/images/operation-overview-super-flower-tower.pdf

D. Gold says, “Regarding the Super Flower Tower link, I never had anything to do with those folks, and knew nothing of their product until I saw it on e-bay. I suppose that I should have been pissed that they copied the ISO-2 exactly, but I had no plans at the time to market anything, and was happy to see my design back on the market and available for people to use. I guess they figured that the patent had expired or that nobody would care.

I really don’t know if they actually made any machines or not. When I first saw the website a few years back, the machines were listed as “out of stock” when an order is placed, as is the case today. Maybe they just took pictures of an ISO2 and put together the website to test market, and never followed thru with production.”

Imagine our joy and amazement, when D. Gold announced that he has now whomped up an ISO-3, and presented us'ns with SN-0001 to have our way with.

Clearly an evolved design that has moved from direct and utilitarian, through elegant, to KISS. The sort of thang that happens, when you continue to mull over a concept for half a century or so....................

The way these puppies work, is that heat in the lower chamber, slow boils off what ever solvent is in the second level container, and the vapors condense against the chilled head, and rainfall back through what ever is in the basket.

If it is plant material in a filter bag, in the basket, it soxhlet extracts, and if it is the 500 ml beaker, it refluxes and collects the alcohol, leaving the concentrate behind in the pot.

That means it can do whole plant extractions start to finish, or be used to recover the ethanol from a QWET extraction, or BHO winterizing.

Something for both the camps looking for full plant extract, and those looking for concentrates to vaporize.

To put thangs in prospective, D Gold has been deeply involved in the medical cannabis movement since the 70's, and for those interested in where that has taken him, check out:

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/d-go...shares-cannabis-extraction-history-unfolding/

More on ISO-3 testing at https://skunkpharmresearch.com/iso-3-by-d-gold/

Attachments

• ISO II by D Gold.jpg
    ISO II by D Gold.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Ready to roll-1.jpg
    Ready to roll-1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 88
  • ISO-3 components.jpg
    ISO-3 components.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 82
  • ISO I by D Gold.jpg
    ISO I by D Gold.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mo peectures. Having trouble loading them all, so will try again tomorrow.

Attachments

• Turn on.jpg
    Turn on.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Insert basket.jpg
    Insert basket.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Pour in sample.jpg
    Pour in sample.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 60
  • Filter.jpg
    Filter.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 64

Ollie

Veteran
Thanks for posting in, its a joy to see the proper tools of trade being introduced to and within the community. Both safety and end-product quality wise.

Big up

mostarda

Wow,
it's amazing.
Thank you to D.Gold and many thanks to you, Grey Wolf,
for testing it.
I'll continue to follow the news about it!

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Original Isomerizer

Original Isomerizer

The picture of the original Isomerizer in the lead post was not the production version, I've attached an ad with a picture of the original Isomerizer. About a thousand of the original isomerizers were produced, I had one, using ice in the top condenser, and a powerful hot plate heater you could do the whole process in a snap, a processing tool, not a toy. Sorry but the comparison of a real oven to a Hasbro Easy Bake keeps coming to mind... :biggrin:

"In 1977 I made and marketed a machine called The Isomerizer. It made oils, isomerized CBD to THC, made hash concentrates, etc. I started a factory in El Segundo that made about a thousand of the original isomerizers, followed by about 20,000 of an upgraded model called the Iso-2. Sold them thru High Times, head shops and record stores. The feds sued us to stop after two years because we weren’t shy about saying what it was used for. It was patented as The Isomerizer, a do-it-yourself marijuana intensipurifier, tar and nicotine remover, perfume, incense, and essential oil making machine."

I have a standing offer of several thousand dollars for an original Isomerizer just for the purpose of sharing it's exact design inside and out with the world. I made the offer at the Cannabis Alchemy by D. Gold thread where the above quote by David Hoye/D. Gold can be found.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=332963

Attachments

• isK7MXr.jpg
    isK7MXr.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Check edits to my first post regarding the Super Flower Power:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ Nice write up, and the pics are sharp at Skunk Pharm, thanks GW!

From the improvements you suggested to David I think it's obvious you understand the breakthrough of the basic design. Maybe your curiosity is piqued enough now to inquire of him further on the construction and process details of the original. Was it a spiral of corrugated one inch brass tubing that made up the condenser column in the upper chamber? I only have one picture in my mind of it, and it's an angle view, I can't see all the way down to the inside bottom of the chamber. And the bottom arrangement, I can't recall what separated the bottom vessel from the water bath pan. In Cannabis Alchemy pieces of rope are shown as an example to separate the two, but I'm drawing a complete blank in that area. Ask David what the air pump was for, I can only guess at this point in time.

Illustrations from Cannabis Alchemy by D. Gold,

https://archive.org/stream/CannabisAlchemy/cannabis-alchemy#page/n0/mode/2up

I don't recall the original Isomerizer having a separate inner vessel for the oil/solvent solution as in the illustrations, just the vessel shown with the handle that sits in the water bath pan. Inside was the filter basket with or without collection cup depending on whether you were extracting oil or reclaiming solvent.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 9.29.39 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 9.29.39 AM.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 9.30.29 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-12-19 at 9.30.29 AM.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dave's here,

D. Gold Alchemy
1474 University Avenue, Suite 76
Berkeley, CA 94702
Phone: +1-510-982-1774
Email: DGoldAlchemy@gmail.com

http://dgoldalchemy.com

That link's been up at Skunk Pharm Research's blog since 12/24/'16,

https://skunkpharmresearch.com/2016/12/17/iso-3-by-d-gold/

And was brought to my attention by Gray Wolf at the direction of Dave this morning... he's willing to answer questions. All I want is enough info to post up in public domain the exact design plan and process details for the original Isomerizer, which then can be upgraded with better heat control, etc. upon actual implementation by a DIY'er.

hamstring

Veteran
Hey guys as a newbie wanted to ask a couple of questions about the rig.

I am currently running QWISO and would love to move to QWET but the cost of 180 proof ethanol is restrictive. I am just a home hobbyist who shares his extracts with his friends so large quantities are not my goal.

Any ideas of cost of the rig and amount of material you can process for a QWET recovery?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey guys as a newbie wanted to ask a couple of questions about the rig.

I am currently running QWISO and would love to move to QWET but the cost of 180 proof ethanol is restrictive. I am just a home hobbyist who shares his extracts with his friends so large quantities are not my goal.

Any ideas of cost of the rig and amount of material you can process for a QWET recovery?

You process the plant material outside the machine with QWET and use it to recover the alcohol.

You only have plant material in the machine when soxhleting.

It holds about 200 ml of ethanol to the bottom of the basket. We recovered larger volumes by just keeping it topped off.

hamstring

Veteran
Thanks GW

Im telling you the price is right no doubt about that!! I"m shaking up aprox 25 -27 oz of ISO and material in a quart jar 2 times resulting 50oz or more of liquid iso. The end result is between 6-9 grams of concentrate depending on quality of starting material. I have yet to try a all bud run but its on the list once Im through with the popcorn/shake.

Seems like a 200ml container is a very small amount and the starting material is better off to be a BHO wash?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks GW

Im telling you the price is right no doubt about that!! I"m shaking up aprox 25 -27 oz of ISO and material in a quart jar 2 times resulting 50oz or more of liquid iso. The end result is between 6-9 grams of concentrate depending on quality of starting material. I have yet to try a all bud run but its on the list once Im through with the popcorn/shake.

Seems like a 200ml container is a very small amount and the starting material is better off to be a BHO wash?

200 ml isn't a whole lot, but by topping it off regularly, we recovered around 800 ml.

It is designed for personal use at a price affordable to ma and pa, not for commercial extraction.

Those swearing by full plant extract will appreciate the soxhleting capabilities, more that someone seeking dabs. If you want dabs, it's best to start with a QWET extraction, and recover with the ISO-3.

If you are seeking full extract, you can cycle it until the material turns straw color if you like, or anywhere in between.

XRM

Thanks for the trip down merrorylane

been a long long time but i seem to remember our iso -2(?)
had a brown or kinda woodgrain base

IDK that was a longtime ago

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Davexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Today at 12:28 PM

To (SkyHighLer & Gray Wolf)

Hi SkyHighLer,

Love your road name!

Here are a few things about the Iso-1 ... as best I remember. I haven't seen one for decades.

1. The heating element was 400 watts and was designed for an iron. We bought them out in Colton.

2. The main purpose of the Iso-1 was isomerization of intact herb. Back then, the herb from Mexico had a lot of CBD, sometimes much more than the THC. Isomerizing the CBD to THC greatly increased the THC levels in many cases, and changed the THC to it's preferred delta 9 form. The goodies were extracted via Soxhlet action, the sauce was then isomerized, then the herb was put back into the sauce. The air pump was used, with heating, to dry the herb. The bulk of the alcohol was distilled and collected. The final fumes were sent down the drain.

3. The condenser was a corrugated gas connector tube, twisted into a column. Ice water was used to cool the condenser.

4. The heating was by boiling water.

5. The light bulb technology in the ISO 2 was inspired by the perennial toy for little girls, the EZ Bake Oven. Credit for the idea to use the light bulb goes to a guy from Manhattan Beach known as Murph the Surf. A bright guy ... no pun intended!

6. 200 proof isopropyl was supplied with the unit.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open for an Iso-1. Already have had inquires about the new machine from several ISO 2 owners; I'm sure a true pioneer will pop up soon!

I remember the instructions from the ISO-1. 5 typewritten and xeroxed pages, I think.

Bringing back the ISO 3 started a lot of the old creative juices flowing again, and I am enjoying it a lot. There are several new gizmos in the works now. I very much like the fact that you appreciate the history and will keep you up to date on anything new.

<snip>

Best,

Dave

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Feb 17 at 1:25 PM

<snip>

Hi SkyHighLer,

Just wanted you to know that we have been shipping for a few days.

As the guy who I consider to be the unofficial historian of the Isomerizers (we could make that official if you like), you should have an Iso 3 in your collection. As I am always running tests, I usually have a model around that is in great shape, but technically used instead of new. I usually give these away to friends or patients in need. I will put your name on the list for a tester if you would like. (I know from your posts that your level of acumen is far above the simplicity of this machine so you would have no need to buy one, but I think you really oughta have one nonetheless.) Let me know and I will get one to you before too long.

I should be able to find you an ISO 1 before too long also. Lots of happy ISO 2 owners have come out of the woodwork as a result of the ISO 3, and I expect that someone with an ISO 1 will write me soon. I will try to get someone to give you access to it for free, in the name of preserving history.

I wrote an update on the website today - it will probably be up tomorrow - thanking people for participating in our testing program. Many folks have agreed to provide input. Although it may sound a bit hokey, I love the idea of "Team Iso" consisting of Alchemists who are interested in helping us develop some new technology, now and on new innovations in the future. You are, of course, invited to participate.

We have a few new concepts in the works. At this point, my work will probably consist of new ways to accomplish necessary things, as opposed to the pure science into new molecules and such. That part of the game is being throughly covered by the crew up on The Pharm. Graywolf, Joe, Carla and company are much deeper into the pure science than I am capable of these days, now that we have added actual solid science to what was previously best described as basement Alchemy.

I wonder about your feelings on cannabinoid synthetics? I hate most everything I have seen in the press about Spice, K2, bath salts, etc. but still can't help but wonder if there is something lurking there that may be of immense benefit as a medicine or euphoriant. If I had to lay odds that any of the 400+ compounds Huffman made were better than natural cannabinoids, I would probably bet against that happening. But the possibility exists for phenomenal results. I feel deep down that if there is any so-called universal medicine - one that successfully treats most any disease - it will come from cannabis in one way or another.

Hope you are doing well and hope to meet you someday.

Dave"

Latest posts

Latest posts