What's new

Island Sweet Skunk

schrooomy420

hmmm :D well, today was a good day. Opened a package to find 4 nice looking cuttings of steve's sweet skunk clone. Time to see if she is as good as everyone says. :D

dmt

Veteran
iss= special inbred og cali skunk#1 from the 70's. i'll bet bs got it from them(fed/next g). d

chefboy6969

OverGrow Refugee
Veteran
dude this is a really old thread and the ISS from fed and is originally Breeder Steve of Spice of Life Sweet Pink Grapefruit (sweet smell!) crossed with a 1992 edition of Sensi's Big Skunk#1, then stabilized.

Here's more info :
Steve was breeding in the early-mid 90's with Nl/Haze, Sensi's Big Skunk, and Sweet Pink Grapefruit (SPG) clone. At first Steve was sure he pollinated the SPG clone with a Big Skunk male and labeled it that way. When he tested this seed stock, he found one exquisit female he later labeled "The plant you have to grow" and gifted the clone to Ziggy at Federation Seeds who was breeding himself on Vancouver Island. This clone was named "Sweet Skunk" by Steve and the seed stock Federation made from her was named "Island Sweet Skunk". After Steve grew Sweet Skunk several times it became apparently obvious the male plant that pollinated the SPG clone was actually a Nl/Haze male and not a Big Skunk male. But the name Sweet Skunk stuck and will still turns heads of old smokers who know her well and most often as "ISS" which is almost taboo to mention in certain company in my part of town.
peace
Chefboy

homebrew420

"Spice of Life Seeds Sweet Skunk was released in 1995, a hybrid of the Sweet Pink Grapefruit and a '95 Sensi Seeds Big Skunk male. It has undergone a few generations and the only plant still growing from the original F1 is the one out of five hundred extremely Sweet Sativa that appears in all Grapefruit hybrids. It is fantastic, although not representative of the strain as a whole." from breeder steve gleamed from the archives of cannabisworld.
There are other postings which speak of breeder steve giving the next generation/federation seed folks the sweet skunk cone and them according to steve knocking off the sweet skunk clone and calling it island sweet skunk.
cheese was'nt inbread, well no more than what sensi had done to it. Thought cheese was a special selection from an 89 skunk#1

I thinks that is a different strain. From what I have understood reading old Cannabis Canada mags it was has been around for a very long time. The Sweet skunk SOL was using is different. I am growing ISS now and oddly enough there is only little stretch so far. I was expecting that so I flowered her when she was about 8 inches. she is now 12 after a month. THe pistils are really fluffy and huge. looks great. Oh and the smell God help me the smell! truly something to behold. It is indescribable. I love it. It supposed to be lemony when smoked? plan to get her big next time.

homebrew420

Island Sweet Skunk

Indoor
The Island Sweet Skunk (ISS) has been grown on Vancouver Island in BC for many years as a stabelized Sativa-Skunk cross. The ISS has sugary fat buds with long, thick hairs that turn golden orange after the 6th week. Tall vigorous growth with a dramatic increase n bud density for the last 3 weeks of it''s flower cycle. This strain has been tested at 19.6% THC when finished, making it a major favorite amongst the medical community, as it takes less to properly medicate. Admired for its strong Sativa like high, the ISS has a very unique taste and odour that stands out from any other strain we've ever come across. typically finishing outdoor by late October, ISS is one of the main strains that gives BC a reputation as being a leader in the breeding of world class medical marijuana. For size & strength, ISS gives the best bang for the buck.

Flowering time: 60 to 70 days

From Federations description

homebrew420

Not to trump seedbay, but Federations strains can be bought at
www.theamsterdam.com. It is a seed shop run in BC by the lovely Karen. Abeautiful blonde with a knack for selling excellent seeds. I have had the pleasure of growing out a few of Federation seeds' strains. They were all excellent. All Federation seeds are well made. They will work with a strain for 3-5 generations until it is stable. SO all seeds will be consistant, and excellent. I grew out both the Romulan and Mikado from the amsterdam and they were excellent. I HIGHLY recommend them as they are excellent genetics. Plus, if you buy from Canada, you'll get the good exchange rate, too.

On the site The amsterdam has ceased operations. F'ing LAME. One can still get them at ********* though.

dmt

Veteran
the story i get from island growers is that it originally made its way to canada from socal with war dodgers. they claim its pure ibl sk#1 from the 70's, and i believe em. if they are wrong and you are right then kudos to you. but, if you happen to buy breeder steves sweet skunk, and the iss, you'll see they arent the same. honestly, imho, the iss is so old school smell, flavour and growth, gotta be og cali classic. i know friends of bs and he gave them a 14 week "sweet skunk" sativa that is not iss either. ive seen/grown them all and aside from some orange sk1 hairs(always dominant) in crosses, they dont look, smell or finish the same way. this is just my experience. maybe the old school 14 week ss was crossed to the bs ss and cubed to retain the a 9 week ss and they named it iss cuz thats where it was bred. im not a know it all nut i know what i know, thats all. the iss is spectacular, especially the oranger tangier pheno. she a beaut no matter what. its hard to tell once a strain is for sale what its true origins are, becuase profit will always corrupt marketing schemes. for my old school faves, iss is up there with sk1, nl5 and columbian gold and oaxacan from mexico. love it. d

G

Green Supreme

ISS is a White Widow male bred to Breeder Steve's Sweet Skunk cutting in order to make beans{Wannabeans}. Peace GS

dmt

Veteran
ISS is a White Widow male bred to Breeder Steve's Sweet Skunk cutting in order to make beans{Wannabeans}. Peace GS

my reference is the first big book of buds. vietnam vets gave the seed to federation from a 1970's og cali sk#!. you should write to ed rosenthal and tell him he's lieing to everyone. ive grown both varieties, there is no ww or breeder steve genes in iss. grow it, and you'll know it and love it. maybe breeder steves sweet skunk is an iss/ww. fed had it first(the iss). id post a pic of the page but dont have a scanner. its page 66. hope this helps, d

G

Green Supreme

You kill me. Sorry you must be right in the loop teehee. Feds first, you are too funny man. I met a lady at a seed shop once that said something similar. Peace GS

dmt

Veteran
no im sorry, i guess iss is a white widow hybrid lol good luck with that, d

the post is island sweet skunk, not sweet skunk.
but i guess they are the same thing cuz breeder steve bred them and they are sold by different companies masquerading as something else. you guys must be from nelson, hahaha lay off the purple pineberry hahaha

G

Green Supreme

Hahah good one Kootenay. Say what you want about Koots dmt but he is closer to it all that than you obviously know. Keep going you are showing the world what you know lol. Peace GS

H

hulkbogan

no im sorry, i guess iss is a white widow hybrid lol good luck with that, d

the post is island sweet skunk, not sweet skunk.
but i guess they are the same thing cuz breeder steve bred them and they are sold by different companies masquerading as something else. you guys must be from nelson, hahaha lay off the purple pineberry hahaha

I am from the Island. I am 99% sure that federation ISS is just a knockoff of sweet skunk.. the reason you found them grow different is because ISS is a worked hybrid of breeder steves sweet skunk. Everyone knows federation is shady, they were "breeding" marc emerys F2's of popular amsterdam strains before he got busted. Seem's like most of their strains are hybrids of popular BC clones.

dmt

Veteran
dudes, most hybrids are strains of popular clones, world wide. if you grew iss you would know its a skunk #1. but an isolated sativa pheno. white widow hahaha guess the full moon got to all you guys, and the bountiful harvest bc got from this amazingly long hot summer. post 24 hrs after trimming, so you can clear your heads, or wear a mask to avoid the "trim stone" hahaha, you guys are awesome. il bet i know who you work for , d

ps dont tell me that northern lights was originally from holland either hahaha

pss dudes, dont we have some snow to ride bro? no bro, doesnt snow till november bro. oh, no bro? no! hahahahaha

dudes, im just being sarcastic and not trying to flame yall. my imagination gets the best of me sometimes lol. i know what the 14 week sweet skunk is, and i know all of bs's crew, and dj's and dr clone and chimera. iss finishes in 50-60 days. it is not the 10-14 week strain in that article. that is all im saying. you guys should start a sweet skunk thread, cuz this is an iss thread, lol, d

H

hulkbogan

iss finishes in 50-60 days. it is not the 10-14 week strain in that article. that is all im saying. you guys should start a sweet skunk thread, cuz this is an iss thread, lol, d
ISS finishes in 50-60 days because Federation hybridized the 10-14 week Sweet Skunk with white widow (which was crossed to a skunk male when brought to amsterdam as a female clone) ... I am sure Federation probably selected for a shorter flowering time and less sativa leaning plants maybe thats why your ISS finishes quicker. I thought this was common knowledge but apparently not?

Feds ISS = Sweet skunk (Grapefruit x Big skunk) x (White widow x skunk#1) ... maybe thats why they look like skunk and finish quicker ???

dmt

Veteran
^^^^ buy both sets of seeds and see for yourselves. like i said, i guess ed rosenthal is wrong, and you guys are right. each to their own,d

Latest posts

Latest posts