What's new

Is White Widow ir-relevant - or is there a breeder who makes it Relevant ?

St. Phatty

I had a chance to grow and smoke Grimm Brothers White Widow about 12 years ago. It was fantastic. Not a high-yielder, medicinal as hell, great for heartburn.

And, taste-wise, there was one plant that had a Hazelnut smell.

My understanding is that Grimm Brothers "tried em all", grew out about 100 White Widows, picked the best ones, and kept on going with her.

I just ordered more Purple Trainwreck, some Freedom Romberry, and 2 Grand-daddy Purple Seeds Phantom Cookies. They (knock on wood) are giving me some Kush freebies, too.

I was also thinking about placing a second order, for some White Widow.

I'm thinking that maybe, strains like OG Kush have perhaps made White Widow not ir-relevant, but no longer the 'Gold Standard' for pure resin. Like for when you are growing for personal stash, and yield is less of a concern.

But then, I wonder - maybe there's some strains of White Widow out there, that make her still relevant.

Dinafem has a White Widow. Actually several Widow strains, but one just-White-Widow.

So - is there a breeder & seed company that sell a White Widow that is still relevant ?

Basically looking for recommendations of other than Dinafem. Nothing wrong with Dinafem, just curious who is doing the best work with White Widow today. Greenhouse maybe ?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You have loads of choices for White Widow....here's a few out there...and many more to research...

Vision, Rokerij, Delta9, G13....ok, then there's White Label, Seedsman, Nirvana, Female, Barneys and maybe a dozen more, not being able to write them all down....besides Grimm.

Greenhouse, Green Label, Ministry of Cannabis, Pyramid...and the list continues. Google it.;o)

Enough said?

WelderDan

Veteran
I find Widow to be boring. One of the most potent smokes I've had was the Widow, but the taste is just... boring. Same goes for the buzz. Potent, but boring. I won't turn it down, but it's not my thing.

sweet-emotion

Veteran
The original WW is Mr. Nice's...which is called Black Widow. Besides that, I tried Seedsman WW (freebie) and was a really food plant, nice yield, great citrus and catpiss smell and taste, powerful smoke, but maybe a litlle boring, as someone already said.

Is the black widow still good now a days or is it all weak and shit like most older strains now due to crappy breeding practices. Never had the chance to smoke real verifiable WW. Would be nice to give it a run.

St. Phatty

Thanks for all the replies.

Black Widow is pricey, Dinafem White Widow is pricey.

I was hoping to hear someone RAVE about a White Widow. And a little help deciding whether to spend the $$ for the Dinafem, $40 for 3 seeds.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
I grew FMS WW and Dinafems WW side by side. The Dinafems was a steaming pile of crap, the FMS was pretty good in some areas it had excellent bag appeal, big chunky buds with a nice yield, but not much smell and an it was potent but an unmemorable high.

I think there is better more interesting stuff out there personally but it's a decent strain if you have a space to fill from time to time. From what I have seen the Black Widow is more sativa looking then most other WW's. I think the BW is an F1 where as most of the other WW's you will find are going to be pretty well inbred.

You can't go wrong with FMS WW, I think they're like $35 a pack for 5 fems.

St. Phatty

I grew FMS WW and Dinafems WW side by side. The Dinafems was a steaming pile of crap, the FMS was pretty good in some areas it had excellent bag appeal, big chunky buds with a nice yield, but not much smell and an it was potent but an unmemorable high.

I think there is better more interesting stuff out there personally but it's a decent strain if you have a space to fill from time to time. From what I have seen the Black Widow is more sativa looking then most other WW's. I think the BW is an F1 where as most of the other WW's you will find are going to be pretty well inbred.

You can't go wrong with FMS WW, I think they're like $35 a pack for 5 fems.

Good feedback, FMS= Finest Medicinal Seeds, I am thinking.

I got some DinaFem Blue Widow in my last order, I might try that.

What I am wondering about the original White Widow, which I think Brothers Grimm was a good representation of, is - why did I like it ?

I'm thinking it may have something to do with it having a different cannabinoid profile. More CBD perhaps ?

BudGenius has some lab results -

https://budgenius.com/search.html?cmd=search&query=White+Widow

"CBN Modifies "high", byproduct of THC degradation"
http://budgenius.com/White-Widow-Whittier-Hope-Collective-BG0010001E413.html

Hmm ... oh well. Not like I'm going to die of an under-dose. :woohoo:

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
we grew some of mr nices black window, and his 'old' ssh+mango haze... in a word 'ok'... in our experience his beans are overhyped, as are almost all the beans we have grown over the years...
the best wwidow we grew was from nirvana years ago...and the best herb we have ever grown was jock horror from nirvana...

both were 10buck packs of seed, the widow was excellent, and the jock was 'SUPERB'... but being noobie's didn't taking cuttings, and have never grown any weed, from any breeder anywhere near to it...

Brelva

Gage Green Seeds make a few white widow hybrids that blend the renowned 'sweet thang' aloha white widow cut with more modern genetics like kush and trainwreck. That'd prolly be your best bet for an updated white widow. 5K Puff and Salvation are two of their hybrids that contain the widow, I think there's a couple others too.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran

My understanding is that Grimm Brothers "tried em all", grew out about 100 White Widows, picked the best ones, and kept on going with her.

From what I understand, Chu Majek offers S1's of the Grimm's WW. It's a so called 'low cost' seed and goes by the name Widow... got a freebie, popped it lately, and due bad weather it's still tiny and like all the other late season seedlings (who didn't got eaten by snails) has troubles starting.
Anyway, I had their Rosetta Stone, the same freebie S1 from a Grimm's cut. Which BTW, was a cross with a Greenhouse Seeds white widow, the same father as in their WW I think. Well, for a freebie it was quite ok, a bit low yielding, smell in veg like pure mint but the buds don't taste good at all (not bad either), and the high is like I remember White Widow back in the 90s: boring, shallow, hollow, empty, dull...
I never was a fan of the WW... Never understood how people could like that stuff. It's potent smoke, sure, but the whole rest... as delicious as eating plain paper. WHY of all things do I have to get WW and hybrids thereof as freebies!

madalasatori

Veteran
I ran dinafems recently and it was top notch, very potent great high and stunk to high heaven, a really rich unique smell. Anyone bashing dinafems WW can't have smoked the WW I grew. Everyone who smoked it agrees.

S

SPG.

First real Plant i grew was WW in late '99-2000 Was'nt BG tho.. Paradise seeds,sure
:smoke:

St. Phatty

From what I understand, Chu Majek offers S1's of the Grimm's WW. It's a so called 'low cost' seed and goes by the name Widow... got a freebie, popped it lately, and due bad weather it's still tiny and like all the other late season seedlings (who didn't got eaten by snails) has troubles starting.
Anyway, I had their Rosetta Stone, the same freebie S1 from a Grimm's cut. Which BTW, was a cross with a Greenhouse Seeds white widow, the same father as in their WW I think.

They talked about Sly being the breeder of the White Widow, and Mr. Soul managing the Princess trilogy. I think Rosetta Stone, the original, was one of Princess' sisters, i.e. they were both from the bud that yielded the Princess and the other unique individual whose name I can't remember.

But it makes sense that they would share breeding stock, like you said, the White Widow male being used, I guess because they liked it.

I went on my own mini-White Widow quest at the time, perhaps motivated by the desire that led me to buy Phantom Cookies seeds yesterday - just want really good weed ! :dance013: ... and enjoy collecting seeds.

I've kept the seeds from those old Grimm White Widows, but I'm def. having germ. problems.