What's new

Is Travel Channel TRYING to kill you with food?!

Red Fang

Veteran
I am not saying they should necessarily do shows on tofu burgers and kelp, but ARE they trying to kill you or get you to commit suicide by food? At a time when the obesity rate, cholesterol levels, diabetes, and heart disease are at or near all-time highs, do they even try to promote good health? Hell no!

Instead, they do shows like Bacon Paradise or shows on burgers, ice cream, or in the case of Man vs Food, extreme gluttony. These are not the foods or values we should be promoting. Those eating challenges should be banned PERIOD. How many people even come close to eating it all? And if they don't, a lot of food is wasted. Instead of a meals tax, there should be a tax for how much you leave on your plate!

What is the solution? I am sure shows on vegetarian eating would tank as soon as they aired, let's face it the average idiot (including me) loves these foods. But who knows healthy shows may do well. There should be some balance at least. I would love to learn how to make vegetarian meals to cut back on meat. I would love to see shows on the best restaurants in my area and around the world (not just the priciest, or the freakiest, but good everyday places to eat). I would love to see a show on best beaches, not for luxury hotels or other reasons, just the beach itself. And ok maybe the general scence too. How about you?
Also I think travel channel should be about making you a better educated traveler (not the mind rot that is usually there), the history channel should be about history (not aliens or monsters), and so on. But that is for another thread. Tell me how you think TV could improve.

Wiggs Dannyboy

Last Laugh Foundation
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, those shows that are glorifications of gluttony are complete shit in my opinion. It takes absolutely no talent to make a dish that is LARGE, and thats what many of these shows are all about.

Gotta love "No Reservations," with Anthony Bourdain and "Bizarre Foods," with that Zimmern guy. Thats interesting stuff.

Red Fang

Veteran
totally man. And Bizarre Foods is good, it can be interesting at times, as Bourdain can be. Other than that, total rubbish all of it. I wish they had cooking shows to teach healthy cooking too.

bentom187

Veteran
Gotta love "No Reservations," with Anthony Bourdain and "Bizarre Foods," with that Zimmern guy. Thats interesting stuff.

agreed ,these shows are good natured,and zimmerman makes me glad im vegitarian lol.
gotta love the locales bordain visits.

the other shows make me wanna vommit.

MMJcali

i think in roman times, gluttony was against the law.

Also, I remember when the history channel had all of those awesome documentaries about the civil war. I really miss those shows.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
I saw a 42" pizza the other day and a place that refused to sell slices and was pissed. Pizza should have crust, not be two plates long, and should be available without buying the whole pie.

Bourdain is the man, and Zimmer seems pretty cool too; teh guy eating 6-8lb meals vs. the clock should be offered the death chamber or jack lalann's vacated job.
-
Keep your BMI under 20 or teh ol 21 gun salute to your vena cava.

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
The man v food WANKER can't even do the gluttony challenges anymore... something about being bad for his health huh!

Now he has dumbasses who desperately want to be on TV do the artery spackling for him.

Hate that guy. Reminds me of every fake ass annoying waiter who thinks he's fuckin george carlin.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
teh TWIT who got 'coke thin' on tehfoodnet, called said WANKER a gluttonous antihero. This was of course after 7+ seasons, and probably at least 2+ eps. dedicated to pancakes, cheese, and pork.

Ramius

Veteran
No Reservations is the best show on TV, Anthony Bourdain is the man. The locations he visits are stunning, along with the interesting back stories.

Fuck that Man vs Food crap, it's disgusting to watch and full of fat greasy Americans drooling at the sight of a burger

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
I can feel you man!
A couple of weeks ago i was unlucky enough to watch my 1st Man vs Food.
What a awful show promoting wrong diets and all kind of stupid stereotypes.
Must be sponsored by some loosing weight drug or similar shit. Disgusting to me as someone trying to have a balanced diet and outrageous to me as a trained chef.
But if we see all the other TV shows why would we expect any better just because we are dealing with food?
I like No Reservations but i don't like Bourdain that much, my brother loves him but i find him too vain and self-centered. Just my opinion of course ;)

Ramius

Veteran
I can feel you man!
A couple of weeks ago i was unlucky enough to watch my 1st Man vs Food.
What a awful show promoting wrong diets and all kind of stupid stereotypes.
Must be sponsored by some loosing weight drug or similar shit. Disgusting to me as someone trying to have a balanced diet and outrageous to me as a trained chef.
But if we see all the other TV shows why would we expect any better just because we are dealing with food?
I like No Reservations but i don't like Bourdain that much, my brother loves him but i find him too vain and self-centered. Just my opinion of course ;)

That's just part of his charm :) Don't take him too seriously, he knows the things he says are meant to be taken in good jest

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
Anthony Bourdain is a twat. Motherfucker thinks he's a beat poet or some shit. People who vicariously gobble his ego turds are pathetic.

AndreNicky

is tofu healthy?

No

@op-You can make almost anything they make on the travel channel with quality ingredients and its gonna be somewhat healthy.

Kelp is only good if you like bromides and heavy metals. Tofu is a frakenfood as far as I'm concerned.

supermanlives

Veteran
i like all the shows. watching them fatties chow down makes me think about my diet and how unattractive fat people are.i will never be fat

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i think in roman times, gluttony was against the law.

Also, I remember when the history channel had all of those awesome documentaries about the civil war. I really miss those shows.

They do these shows cause Americans are fat and eat alot of food. It's what sells and makes them $$. And in the end $ is all they care about, not your health.

Last edited:
H

h^2 O

I do think that these food shows are along the lines of gluttony and American obesity issues....kind of like how McDonald's will probably end up facing huge class action suits just like big tobacco companies.
However, I do believe in free speech and freedom of the press, and don't think that obesity-related television shows which glorify greasy and fattening foods should be censored.
I LOVE the Travel channel for Steve what's his name's Europe...best travel show out there. Though, I usually catch it on PBS. Maybe it actually is a PBS show.

cyat

Veteran
No

@op-You can make almost anything they make on the travel channel with quality ingredients and its gonna be somewhat healthy.

Kelp is only good if you like bromides and heavy metals. Tofu is a frakenfood as far as I'm concerned.

glad u know!