What's new

Is this recipe too much for my plants ?

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Guy-
Can you get some bone meal? Wal-Mart usually has it. Or try Lowes or Home DePOT. Then use this recipe EXACTLY. Don't add or subtract ANYTHING.

6 parts Pro Mix HP
2 parts perlite
2 parts worm castings
Powdered (NOT PELLETIZED) dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soiless mix.
If you use a 3 qt. saucepan as “parts” in the amounts given above, it equals about 1 cu. ft. of soiless mix and you can just dump in a cup of powdered dolomite lime.
But, a "part" can be anything from a tablespoon to a five gallon bucket. Just use the same item for all of the "parts".

Now, after you get that all mixed up, add this as directed to the soil mix...

1 tablespoon alfalfa meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
2 tablespoons bone meal per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
1-tablespoon kelp meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
1 tablespoon per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of Greensand
Mix all the dry ferts into the soiless mix well and wet it, but don't soak it with worm castings, black strap molasses and water @ 1 cup worm castings, 5 tbs. black strap molasses and 5 gallons of water. Stir and mix it a few times a week for a week or two so the bacteria can get oxygen and break down the bone meal and make it available. And don't let the mix dry out, keep it moist and add water as needed. It'll also have time to get the humic acids in the worm castings going and the dolomite lime will be better able to adjust the pH of a peat based mixture too.
With this recipe, all you need to do is add plain water until harvest.
When I'm working with seeds, I punch a hole in the bottom of 16 ounce cups and fill them with plain LC's Mix. Lightly wet the mix in the cups and germ one seed in each cup. At the same time I mix enough LC's mix along with the blood/bone/kelp to fill all the 3 gallon flower pots I'm going to use for the grow. After about two weeks, the seedlings and the blood/bone/kelp mix are ready. I transplant the seedlings into the 3 gallon pots and just add water until harvest.
When you go to flower and pull up the males, save the mix in the pots. It is ready to be used again immediately. Just remove the root ball and transplant another seedling into it.

Follow that recipe EXACTLY. You should have no problems at all.

Burn1

GuyInTheChair

thanks BurnOne, I will use those exact directions and see how they do. Just using plain water sounds as easy as it gets, sweet !
what am I gonna do with all the pbp, lk, guano, mollasses and all the rest ? :)

GuyInTheChair

ok so I'm about to start mixing up this recipe and had one question, since I'm going to be using a 5 gallon bucket to measure the parts, how many gallons of soil are in a bail ?

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If I remember correctly, using a 3.8 cu. ft. bale with this mix filled a 55 gallon barrel.

GuyInTheChair

ok so I mixed all the soil today and have one question. When you say to water with the worm castings, molasses and water to wet it down, do you mean let it bubble for a few days in a bucket before using it or just add the worm castings to the water, stir in some molasses and water right away ? thanks !

GuyInTheChair

hey Burn1, I just want to make sure I got the recipe correct here... in your Organics For Beginners thread, the nute mix that you recommend is blood, bone, kelp, and greensand. In the recipe you gave me, you said alfalfa, bone, kelp and greensand. Is the recipe you gave me correct or did you mean to write bone meal instead of alfalfa ? I already mixed it up so I hope this is right ! thanks again !

I believe either should work, whatever is easily available. brew the ewc, blackstrap & liquid karma(if you want) for 24-48hr's and then water the plants with it. be sure you are brewing that tea in unchlorinated water.. meaning if its city water let it bubble for a good day - day and a half then add in the ingredients to the correct amount of water.

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok so I mixed all the soil today and have one question. When you say to water with the worm castings, molasses and water to wet it down, do you mean let it bubble for a few days in a bucket before using it or just add the worm castings to the water, stir in some molasses and water right away ? thanks !

You can bubble it if you like, or mix it up and use it right away.

hey Burn1, I just want to make sure I got the recipe correct here... in your Organics For Beginners thread, the nute mix that you recommend is blood, bone, kelp, and greensand. In the recipe you gave me, you said alfalfa, bone, kelp and greensand. Is the recipe you gave me correct or did you mean to write bone meal instead of alfalfa ? I already mixed it up so I hope this is right ! thanks again !

You didn't have any blood or bone in your recipe. I suggested you get some bone meal and use the alfalfa meal you had instead of blood. The recipe I sent you is correct.
Burn1

GuyInTheChair

ok so I have to mix a bit more soil and then I'm done, then I'm gonna soak it all with the tea, and keep it moist for a couple weeks. Should I keep it covered or does it matter ? it will be indoors. I was thinking of adding nematodes while the soil is cooking, is this a bad idea ?

Can this mix be used for veg and flower or strictly flowering ? I'm excited to see how the plants like this new mix, it's a lot easier than my last recipe and easier for me to remember!

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Guy-
Here's the way I do mine...

I mix the plain LC's Mix first. I set aside enough to germinate my seeds in 16 ounce plastic cups with a hole punched in the bottom for drainage. I germinate the seeds there.
Then I mix in the blood/bone/kelp and wet it. I like to stir it up every couple of days so the bacteria can get air. (But that isn't absolutely necessary.) After it breaks down for a couple of weeks, I pour it into 3 gallon nursery pots. By then, the seedlings should be ready to transplant into the 3 gallon pots. I leave them in there until harvest. All you need to do is water them. Easy.
Burn1