What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is this cao and organic ?

Bio boy

Like to make foilar I was gonna get cao but I have this and it looks almost the same stuff ? It’s like for brickwork but it’s lime I need for cao

Attachments

• 8B16933B-57E9-43DC-BEBC-0EA04059EE40.png
    8B16933B-57E9-43DC-BEBC-0EA04059EE40.png
    806.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Calcium oxide is your preference. Calcium oxide has a pH of 12.5 and the hydrated lime has a pH of 12.4 so not much difference in pH.

Calcium oxide has a heavy density (65lb/ft³) and is more reactive than hydrated lime.

Quicklime (CaO) is more effective than hydraulic lime (Ca(OH)2) but however, there is only slight difference in the final results. If Quick lime is using, care should be taken by workmen otherwise skin burns etc. may occur. So, in most of the cases hydraulic lime is used either in dry powder form or by mixing water.Dec 3, 2018 Google

Bio boy

Calcium oxide is your preference. Calcium oxide has a pH of 12.5 and the hydrated lime has a pH of 12.4 so not much difference in pH.

Calcium oxide has a heavy density (65lb/ft³) and is more reactive than hydrated lime.

Quicklime (CaO) is more effective than hydraulic lime (Ca(OH)2) but however, there is only slight difference in the final results. If Quick lime is using, care should be taken by workmen otherwise skin burns etc. may occur. So, in most of the cases hydraulic lime is used either in dry powder form or by mixing water.Dec 3, 2018 Google
Thanks creeper, lil confusing like haha caO is what I want yeah but isn’t this mainly caO like the same ? I can’t see a lot that really damages ? Clay silica and mg ?
I am stupid lol I am asking seriously what’s the difference ? I can order caO but I got 50kg of this hydra lime already if they are the same it would be pointless?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks creeper, lil confusing like haha caO is what I want yeah but isn’t this mainly caO like the same ? I can’t see a lot that really damages ? Clay silica and mg ?
I am stupid lol I am asking seriously what’s the difference ? I can order caO but I got 50kg of this hydra lime already if they are the same it would be pointless?
Calcium oxide responds and does a much better job than hydrated lime

40degsouth

Hey Bio boy.
I’m just wondering what you’re trying to achieve with this type of foliar??
As Creeperpark has pointed out it’s highly alkaline and l don’t think the calcium is available, unless it’s micronised, to like 5nm or something.
If it’s for IPM then I’m pretty sure Bordeux spray has lime in it.
I’ve used it on the garden because it acts very rapidly but it can create severe ph fluctuations that can really mess with your soil. You also shouldn’t apply it if you’ve just incorporated compost or manures because it creates a chemical reaction, in which, the nitrogen off gasses so, three weeks before or three weeks after.
Yes I’ve used it, yes it’s good stuff when applied correctly and yes it’s cheap……but if you’re looking for a cheap source of calcium I’d stir up some gypsum in some water and have a look at it or char some egg shells Korean Natural Farming style 👍👍👍
Cheers,

WingzHauser

Calcium hydroxide is not omri approved for fertilizer use. Doesn't stop weed brands from selling it as organic calmag tho.

SolarLogos

Save your egg shells, then bake them in the oven at 350F for 30 minutes to get rid of contaminates. Grind the egg shells when they cool off. Put a couple of tablespoons of ground egg shells in a jar (tall one, this will foam up) and add a half cup of vinegar to the egg shells. It will foam and when it settles down, you can stir it a couple of times throughout the day.
After a day or two, the vinegar will become clear and whats left of the eggshells will settle to the bottom. The pH of the vinegar will change from about 3.5 pH to around 6.0 pH. The vinegar will change from 25 ppm to around 3,000 ppm. I then use a teaspoon in a gallon of water or however much I need. I usually shoot for around 300 ppm for foliar. You can also take yourself it if you need calcium, it's much more available than most calcium supplements.
Peace

40degsouth

Hey SolarLogos, it’s great to see you around.
Thanks for your numbers, that’s some great information right there and going into my “calcium” album. I know the resulting concoction is called calcium acetate and you can also use it to make tofu 👍👍🤗🤗

Latest posts

Latest posts