What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is this cabbage edible?

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
and if so when can i cut it and eat it?
attachment.php

Attachments

• fg 011.JPG
    fg 011.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 16

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
Looks quite edible to me.
Have a bite of one of the new leaves and you will get a rough idea about taste.

Headbandf1

Bent Member
Veteran
in American they use it as decoration around fruit an salad bars, so its not poisonous but I believe that it isn't very tastie or tender. Good Luck

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Decorative cabbage and kale are not generally consumed.One they taste like crap, two commercial grown ornamentals are heavily fertilized and sprayed with a slew of pesticides and fungicides.I spent nearly 20 years in the decorative/landscape plant business, I personally would not eat it. But that just my opinion.

paulo73

Convicted for turning dreams into reality
Veteran
That really looks like a over grown red cabbage.
Might be a bit hard but usually it´s used in salads, coleslaw and in pickled form.
Good stuff with a smelly side effect ;)

barnyard

try a leaf and see what you think...

try a leaf and see what you think...

some chopped cabbage with raisins and balsamic vinegar, yummy stuff

fresh cabbage is also a good substitute for lettuce in treats like tacos, hotdogs...it provids a nice crunchy dimension

my vote would be for a purple cabbage with the head yet to fully develop...whatever type she's a beauty!

Sheriff Bart

Deputy Spade
Veteran
cabbage salad
eat it whenever you're ready....it will prob grow out more though, and taste usually improves with cooler weather