What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is there such a thing as a "good" Blueberry?

B

BasementGrower

Dutchpassion and Chimera worked with DJ Shorts Genetics to make there lines?

this is y people like THSEEDS say u gotta by 2-3 packs to fnid a keeper. because they proly take packs of there strains and just hit a male and female together call it the strain and let u find the winner and do the work.. kuz if everyone found a keeper in every pack they wouldnt make any money. duh..

like any industryy that makes millions.. its more profitable to be a DIRTY GRIMEY FUCK
then it is to be a nice PEaceful Generous PERSON.

i saw a thread on rollitup.. that this dude that is a no name breeder.. made some crosses.. of shit he had nothing to do with .. and now is releasing them under his name for 50 bucks for 5 fem seeds.. and 45 for 6 reg seeds. this dude is fucking nuts. ive never heard of how people could do this.. if htis is the case. then whoever stole my seeds.. could sell about 2000 seeds in 10 packs for like 80 bucks a 10 pack. and make a lot of people happy and make a fuckin arm and leg off everyone!!!! shitt

i couldnt believe it its rediculoous

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I tried spliff seeds blueberry. If you like indica smoke then it is just right, it is not the euphoric high. Only grew out two fems and one had a real strong blueberry smell.

etinarcadiaego

Even in Arcadia I exist
Veteran
Let me start by saying that the very first seeds I ever ordered, and hence the first plants I ever grew, were DJ Shorts Blueberry. This was in the days of Seeds Direct. I absolutely loved it! So I am not hating, I am simply asking an honest question.

Everyone agrees that Blueberry is a great strain to breed with, and there are some PHENOMENAL crosses out there. But most people also tend to agree that Blueberry itself is kind of hit or miss. What I mean is, you either find a good yielder, OR it has the light blue color, OR it has the euphoric high, but apparently it always tends to lack something that would put it in the "keeper" category.

For instance, of the 10 Blueberry seeds I planted back in 1996, I ended up with only 1 plant that had the blue color, the blueberry smell and taste, and a wonderful smiley high... but it was a shit yielder. That was the only reason I didn't keep her. But to this day that high, smell, and flavor are up there in my top 2 of all time. The only thing that has beaten that, for me, was SS Bubblegum.

So my question is: Is there such a thing as a blueberry backcross or stabilized line that has the taste, the smell, the high, but also some good yield? Because I am just a personal grower, only grow for myself and my wife, and I can't justify putting a plant in my stable that won't earn its keep.

Thanks in advance!

Hey man!

I feel your pain, I too have run several different breeder's BB and am typically disappointed with the results. A plant may have one or two valuable traits such as potency and coloration, but typically lacks other qualitative attributes such as good bud structure, high calyx:leaf ratio, or a strong BB aroma.

Finding a "total package" Blueberry is probably the most challenging enterprise I've ever undertaken as a grower, but it a rewarding one, too be sure.

I found my current keeper in a 30 pack of BB's from Peak Seeds. I've discovered, at least for me, that I need to run about 2-3 times more Blueberry seeds to find a keeper as I typically would. I used to keep the mutants and let every female plant flower, now I don't and discard plants with pronounced mutations.

Here's a couple shots of my current keeper:

picture.php

One more:

picture.php

Hope this helps!

Great looking plant you have there.

I recently germinated 50 Dj blueberry and had 100% success. It's interesting seeing all the complaints in his forum here I wonder if some batches were stored or transported rougher than others?

buttyrekka

ive got a great Bb cut that came from DP fem seed.
View Image
View Image

it grows a bit strange - always foxtails however i grow it. but the smell, taste and high is outstanding and its a reasonable yielder..

ive crossed it with Dank.Frank's outstanding digiberry bx1 male, and i'm about to pop those seeds, and if they are any good i'll make F2s and send them to the bay.

VG

hey verdent your's looks just like mine,great in crosses totally unstable indoors very good out lots of mutants from seed here's a pic...

49814IMG_0702.jpg

mine was from dp regular 100%germ 5 males 4 mutants(never got bigger than 6 inches)1 female great smoke:tiphat:

vertigo0007

Don't want to detract from the topic at hand, but I couldn't help but notice a minor oversight. DJ Short or Seedsdirect were not open in 1996.

I, too, seem to recall a couple years back reports of DJ Short circulating his mother stock at various clubs in NorCal. Haven't seen/heard much ado made about it since, so draw what conclusions from that you may...

Cheers,
Kanza

You seem to have missed an oversight. Isnt the blueberry mother is over 30 years old? Now, im retarded, but my math says youre wrong. Or did u mean specifically seed "sales"?

BBxNL I think it was atomic seeds or something like that. Decent yielder blueberry smell but really more of an indica high real stony

Budmentor

I've been away for awhile but wanted to chime in on this topic. Last month I picked up some beans to work with. I have original sour d, chemdog, ak47, c99, blue dream and pineapple purple haze in clone so breeding was on my mind.
Ed Rosenthal Super Bud, 65% sativa 35% indica, pineapple and grapefruit smells, all seeds became female
DP Blueberry fem, 100% gemination no leaf mutants, vigorous, several mild aromas, uniform growth mostly branching indica look
AK47 reg, 100% germ, first to pop <24 hrs, extreme vigor, well branched, ranging from mostly indica to mostly sativa
BOG's Lifesaver, 100% germ, extreme indica look, huge leaves and stems, well branched, very sweet smell early
Cannabiogen Paki Chitral fem, 100% germ, extreme indica look, most well branched, underside of several leaves show purple, more compact than lifesaver, low odor
FINALLY, those OTM freebies, 100% germ, all four show extreme sativa characteristics, all have very sweet sativa aroma (bubblegum/fuel) great vigor, slowest to germ (almost gave up on them when all the indicas were germed and growing)
So, I'm wondering just what OTM really is. Definitely a sativa, I actually thought she was and old Mex strain. No alligator tail leaves like Southeast Asia, Colombian is more delicate. I see Caribbean sativa in these seeds. I'm hoping for a male to hit every female with.
I had 100% germ on all my seeds and no mutants. Just lucky I guess. As these strains develop I'll keep everyone updated. Might even break out the camera.
Not trying to highjack this thread, just giving my input on OTM and DP BB.
Any suggestions on crosses?

T

turtle farmer

Great thread and Great info
Greensides beat me to it,but the Blueberry Northern Light cross by Dr. Atomic is fantastic.
I've been running it since late '97 and it wins in all catagories..In fact I won a cannabis cup in Nor Cal with her.
She has a nice blue hue in veg,she turns a nice dark blue in flower..Very potent with a relaxing buzz,the yield is most excellent,especially when SCROG is involved..And the best blueberry smell I've ever had... And don't even get me started on the hash making from her..Great strain for pain relief..Now I need to find an old pic of her if I can..
I read that Dr Atomic has re made the same cross and calls it Blueberry Jam now.
Keep it green....

Apomixis

I'm sticking by my statement. I wasn't implying anyone was being deceitful, just looking to shed some clarity on the issue. Being as that this forum didn't come online until 2003, I'm going go out on a limb to say Seedsdirect wasn't in operation 7 years prior(1996). Being as that OverGrow wasn't even online in '96, I'm personally finding it hard to believe...

As for DJ, clearly he was breeding but as for selling seeds in '96? The Dutch Passion collaboration was in '98, whom to my knowledge was DJ's first vendor. I do recall the usual tiff that occurs when breeder's outsource there work, which eventually lead to DJ's own banner (Delta Nine Collection).

Please, anyone feel free to correct me where I'm wrong. For we all should be here to learn

-Kanza

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
I thought the delta 9 collection was around before the collaboration with dutch passion?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Well hell, I did some hardcore thinking about it... When you said OG wasn't around in 96 I had to remember, what forum was I on before OG? And then it hit me... That's right, before OG I was on Cannabis Culture! And that made me remember, that's right, my first order of seeds ever was actually through Marc Emery's seed bank! The reason I kept thinking of Seeds Direct is that I ended up ordering my SS Bubblegum through them, and that was after I was at OG.

So, knowing that I purchased my DJ Short Blueberry through Emery's seed bank, is it possible that happened in 96 or 97?

Apomixis

Should clarify DJ's releases were always under the banner of Delta 9, regardless of distributor.

'96-'97? Cannabis Culture was released in the summer of '98, which to my knowledge was the first they featured seed listing's. Don't recall if Cannabis Canada featured them but I'm leaning towards, "No".

Regards,
Kanza

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Dang, I did too much acid. Well all I know with 100% certainty is that I ordered DJ Short Blueberry and grew it and smoked it all before the end of 99, so I guess that's where I should settle this. And it left a huge mark on me, because after all these years, I still long for that high, that taste, and that smell. Knowing that I've only become a much better gardener since then, I would love to try it out again.

This thread has been so extremely informative and helpful! Everyone who has contributed here is now my new best friend. Thanks guys!

H

huarmiquilla

howdy

how you do?

am keen to dutch passion blueberry muffin blueberry within f2
indeed female variety express banana such to seed, within f2/s2 what have you such blueberry muffin

potent....lovely

similar DJ F-13, total germinate....similar total dampen off

am respect cannabis
am respect seed to life

dutch passion work more with respect to blueberry one perspective
DJ outsource one perspective

DJ recent to comment with ego, such to claim ownership and such
am not preference such ego

one perspective search within f2
one perspective outcross blueberry

am keen to source sachet of DJ, such many variety
respect to seed, respect to cannabis

not respect to ego
chant down babylon

positive vibrations

stickshift

I'm sticking by my statement. I wasn't implying anyone was being deceitful, just looking to shed some clarity on the issue. Being as that this forum didn't come online until 2003, I'm going go out on a limb to say Seedsdirect wasn't in operation 7 years prior(1996). Being as that OverGrow wasn't even online in '96, I'm personally finding it hard to believe...

As for DJ, clearly he was breeding but as for selling seeds in '96? The Dutch Passion collaboration was in '98, whom to my knowledge was DJ's first vendor. I do recall the usual tiff that occurs when breeder's outsource there work, which eventually lead to DJ's own banner (Delta Nine Collection).

Please, anyone feel free to correct me where I'm wrong. For we all should be here to learn

-Kanza

Gladly, Sagarmatha was the 1st company he supplied seed stock to in Amsterdam circa 95 the seeds were for sale (when did emery start? 94?), he first made contact in 93 in Amsterdam.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I just found some more valuable information!

According to this thread from here at IC Mag, between 95 and 96 DJ was having his blueberry sold through a "2nd European company" (which we now know was DP). I also found, from wikipedia, of all places, that Marc Emery was selling seeds at Hemp BC as early as 94. He then started a magazine in 95 which was called Cannabis Canada, which was renamed in 98 to Cannabis Culture.

Lol. So based on that, I think what happened is I bought Blueberry seeds from DP, through Marc Emery, in or around late 96.

Now, if only I could use the internet to fill in all the other gaps in my memory from my 20s, I would be all set! Thank you internet archives!