What's new

Is there any way to kill bulb mites?!?!

jokin-n-tokin

So I have bulb mites. I think they came in from some compost I tried. I have 2 think different plants going in soil both definitely infected with them. They were climbing all over the one plant and sucking sap from the leaves. I got them off by spraying with clarified neem, but I am now certain they are still in the dirt and causing a general lack of vigor. It also seems they make the plant wilt when the dirt is kept moist for some reason.

I thought i had killed them, but i just tried a experimental germination and they ate the freaking tap!! It turned brown and withered, never even poked its head up. So I am quite certain they must still be in the dirt of the other two.

I will be throwing all this soil out and cleaning with bleach when these plants are done, but is there anything I could do to kill these little fuckers in the dirt? I am planning to try a neem meal tea but doubt it will work as the azadactrin in regular neem oil did not seek to kill them (clarified has none) I think the clarified oil suffocated them. Could I use this as a root drench? Would this work in soil?

My temps are normal around 75f and I try to keep the room clean, they seem to live in the soil anyway and have not ventured out onto the plants in three weeks or so.

Anybody know of anything that kills them on contact? I keep it organic but at this point may contemplate other options...

Here's a pic of the mites
mite1.jpg

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
https://extension.umass.edu/floriculture/fact-sheets/bulb-mites

i had to look em up. according to this these bulb mites if that's what they are couldn't be causing your plants harm as weed doesn't come from bulbs. what color are these mites you have and where on the plant did you see them?

look at the undersides of the leaves. easiest way is if you can hold the plant above you in front of a light rather than flipping each individual leaf over (lol i bet that would get old fast) do you see any mites under them? if you do turn the underside to the light, do they run around over back to the dark side? you might have spider mites. i have soil mites, if you have any sort of organic in your soil mix you have em too. they eat dead matter and are nothing to worry about, they're actually helpful. but if it's spidermites you need to act fast or they're gonna destroy your garden.

jokin-n-tokin

https://extension.umass.edu/floriculture/fact-sheets/bulb-mites

i had to look em up. according to this these bulb mites if that's what they are couldn't be causing your plants harm as weed doesn't come from bulbs. what color are these mites you have and where on the plant did you see them?

look at the undersides of the leaves. easiest way is if you can hold the plant above you in front of a light rather than flipping each individual leaf over (lol i bet that would get old fast) do you see any mites under them? if you do turn the underside to the light, do they run around over back to the dark side? you might have spider mites. i have soil mites, if you have any sort of organic in your soil mix you have em too. they eat dead matter and are nothing to worry about, they're actually helpful. but if it's spidermites you need to act fast or they're gonna destroy your garden.

They look exactly like the picture I gave. Milky white, bulbous and smooth. They definitely where sucking sap from the leaves. They where all over them and they where making the yellow discolored splotches usuallu accociated with the borg.

They only seemed to run from lght when scoped, and they also appeared to have laid translucent/milky white eggs on the undersides of leaves. They where on the undersides of leaves and the stalk. I first spraid with hot pepper treatment that seemed to have no effect (this was when I thought they where the Borg) i then spraid three times with the clarified nren oil and they haven't been back on the leaves since. The ones on the leaves looked exactly the same as the ones still in the soil under the scope.

Frankly I am baffled. I have read up on bulb mites quite a bit and have never found anything saying they eat leaves, but I am quite sure that's what they are because they both looked identical. Also if I am not mistaken the Borg would not have been overcome so easily, and should have been effected by the hot pepper oil.

Yea man its all organic. I tried a new cheap mix made of biochar, ewc, rice hulls, and local compost. (I actually fucked up here because its to alkaline, next time I'm adding peat)

But yea I'm baffled. It seems like the plants need a insane amount of water. I got fungus gnats too maybe that's why?

CoCoSativas

Now this I have a legit answer too. Co2. Discharche a can in the room, the ppms will go up to like 10 000, leave it for a hour then vent.

Say goodbye to buggies. This is something you want to do carefully tho, use common sense and dont harm yourself doing it

jokin-n-tokin

Now this I have a legit answer too. Co2. Discharche a can in the room, the ppms will go up to like 10 000, leave it for a hour then vent.

Say goodbye to buggies. This is something you want to do carefully tho, use common sense and dont harm yourself doing it

What do you mean a can of co2? Where would I get a can of co2?

jokin-n-tokin

be aware high Co2 , over 10,000 ppm can kill you.

Yea I know bro its heavier than oxygen and displaces air... Its in the basement so I would set it at night n come back in the morn... If I feel at all lightheaded I would leave n open garage from the outside...

But where would I get a dispensable can of co2?

CoCoSativas

Mack 10 is right. Doing what I am talking about can be dangerous. Like kill you kind of stuff. BE CAREFUL AND USE COMMON SENSE. Dont linger in the joint after you discharge that. Get out of there. After a hour, open a window from the outside if possible.

Mrbelvedere is right. Welding supply joint.

This method will eradicate bugs without failure. They will not survive this. I garentee it.

This is the one use I have for co2 bottles. Otherwise I dont use then in my grow.

I have done this myself on a large crop that was infested. After I killed everything with the co2 I went around with a little hand vac (real weak piece of sh't) and sucked off all the dead buggies. It was gross but pretty funny. I was pretty smug because I beat the little bitches

CoCoSativas

Yea I know bro its heavier than oxygen and displaces air... Its in the basement so I would set it at night n come back in the morn... If I feel at all lightheaded I would leave n open garage from the outside...

But where would I get a dispensable can of co2?

It only takes a hour. I dont know if the plants lke that ppm for that much longer. Ive never tested that out though, as I was told it only takes a hour. Its true, one hour, bugs gonzo.

The person who showerd me this has a 10 bottle system in their op. It has a red discharge button at the top of the starirs beside the exit. Theres a green button to vent the room right underneath it. When I asked about the system he explained it to me.

I decided then thats the pest control that makes sense to me. No sprays no chemicals. Strait up gas and they die, 100%

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i would usually leave you to your devices, but since you're talking about removing all the oxygen from your environment in order to kill bugs which can't possibly be what you're seeing.

i suggest checking again. everything you're describing sounds like spidermites.
these bulb mites don't even feed on leaves. they burrow into bulbs. weed is not a bulb plant. tulips are. it's all in the link.

at least before you go through with essentially possibly suffocating yourself to death.

Holdin'

Moon-grass farmer
Veteran
With all due respect...

Trying to eradicate a pest with co2 is a bunch of nonsense...

There are no mites that I can think of that will attack the root zone AND the foliage. As far as I know, bulb mites have been seldomly confirmed to be found as a cannabis pest, if at all.

Back to the drawing board to figure out exactly what you have, then devise a proper plan of action.

You may just have a predatory mite chillin' in your soil, which happens to venture out onto the stalk/foliage.

You may have simple spidermites attacking your foliage, while some sort of predatory mite living in the rootzone. Predatory and beneficial mites are commonly found in compost/soil...

Or some other combination, or nothing to worry about at all. Need some actual pics of your plants, suspected foliage damage, and a shot of the pest if possible.

CoCoSativas

With all due respect...

Trying to eradicate a pest with co2 is a bunch of nonsense...

There are no mites that I can think of that will attack the root zone AND the foliage. As far as I know, bulb mites have been seldomly confirmed to be found as a cannabis pest, if at all.

Back to the drawing board to figure out exactly what you have, then devise a proper plan of action.

You may just have a predatory mite chillin' in your soil, which happens to venture out onto the stalk/foliage.

You may have simple spidermites attacking your foliage, while some sort of predatory mite living in the rootzone. Predatory and beneficial mites are commonly found in compost/soil...

Or some other combination, or nothing to worry about at all. Need some actual pics of your plants, suspected foliage damage, and a shot of the pest if possible.

Buddy its a fact that people use co2 to kill bugs in commercial greenhouses. Ive done it myself. You might want to actually know what you are talking about before you say something is nonsense.

I know this thread is dead but heres an external referance. Its been bothering me for a bit so I found more information on it. It bugs me when people say something is bullshit amd its so far above their head.

When CO2 concentrations get even higher, to 10,000 PPM (1% of air), it becomes poisonous to animals. Humans will suffocate at levels that high. In some cases greenhouse growers will use this to their advantage by raising the CO2 concentration to 10,000 ppm or more to kill bugs like spider mites (but of course they're careful to keep humans and animals far away!).

Heres the link read it yourself.
http://www.growweedeasy.com/co2#how-much-co2

Thats just the first one I found. Theres more. Lots more. Co2 is commonly used to kill pests...

But its nonsense because you didnt know, right?

Theres lots of good growers on here but really, pick up a book, or go walk around a pro horticulture facility before you think you are the god of growing. Its all over all the forums and its so frustrating. Everyone thinks they know everything after a couple years and some nice crops.

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing: