What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is there an overview of the chemo types of the different varieties?

CharlesU Farley

Everybody has their own way of classifying cannabis, depending on who you read. The system that I settled on many years ago kind of combines the different old school variations, with a numbering system.

Type I is what used to be considered a Sativa... tall, rather rangy plants with thin leaves, that get you high but not stoned, I think it's called NLD these days. Narrow leaf drug, high THC / low CBD content. If you have any education on cannabis whatsoever, you understand that term. The term I use is Type I/Sativa.

Type II used to be called Indica... a short, squat, wide leafed plant, that not only get you very high but also gets you very stoned. High THC / high CBD content. What I think is known as BLD these days, broad-leafed drug. Personally, my favorite of the varieties. The term I use is Type II/Indica

Type III used to be called ruderalis. I think most people consider it auto flowering now, but I am totally ignorant of this variety because it doesn't get you high, so I totally ignored almost everything about it. When I was in high school, me and some friends would go out to Shelbyville, Kentucky and pick ruderalis that was growing wild. That county in Kentucky used to be the largest temp producing state in the country in the 1940s, when they still used hemp rope. It did give us a slight buzz, so it had a little bit of THC and probably some CBD. I don't call this anything, because I ignore this entire category, all I have to see is _auto_ or _feminized_ and that thread or question is dead to me.

As the hippies used to say in the '60s (I'm a '70s guy, so we were always "heads") "That's not my scene, man".

Type IV/Hybrid is what most people consider a hybrid, a combination of Type I and Type II. Essentially, a bastard of the cannabis world. I'm not sure there's any adequate three letter acronym description for the leaf type on this category. Depending on how the developer mixed and matched the various Type I and Type IIs, the stature/structure, leaf size both length and width, and THC versus CBD ratio, is going to be a combination of the two and will dramatically vary. It'll get you both hand stoned, depending on the mix. I know the landrace fanatics will vehemently disagree, but the most famous, well-known cannabis "brand names" this type. The term I use is Type IV/Hybrid.

And of course there's multi, poly hybrids. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Everybody has their own way of classifying cannabis, depending on who you read. The system that I settled on many years ago kind of combines the different old school variations, with a numbering system.

Type I is what used to be considered a Sativa... tall, rather rangy plants with thin leaves, that get you high but not stoned, I think it's called NLD these days. Narrow leaf drug, high THC / low CBD content. If you have any education on cannabis whatsoever, you understand that term. The term I use is Type I/Sativa.

Type II used to be called Indica... a short, squat, wide leafed plant, that not only get you very high but also gets you very stoned. High THC / high CBD content. What I think is known as BLD these days, broad-leafed drug. Personally, my favorite of the varieties. The term I use is Type II/Indica

Type III used to be called ruderalis. I think most people consider it auto flowering now, but I am totally ignorant of this variety because it doesn't get you high, so I totally ignored almost everything about it. When I was in high school, me and some friends would go out to Shelbyville, Kentucky and pick ruderalis that was growing wild. That county in Kentucky used to be the largest temp producing state in the country in the 1940s, when they still used hemp rope. It did give us a slight buzz, so it had a little bit of THC and probably some CBD. I don't call this anything, because I ignore this entire category, all I have to see is _auto_ or _feminized_ and that thread or question is dead to me.

As the hippies used to say in the '60s (I'm a '70s guy, so we were always "heads") "That's not my scene, man".

Type IV/Hybrid is what most people consider a hybrid, a combination of Type I and Type II. Essentially, a bastard of the cannabis world. I'm not sure there's any adequate three letter acronym description for the leaf type on this category. Depending on how the developer mixed and matched the various Type I and Type IIs, the stature/structure, leaf size both length and width, and THC versus CBD ratio, is going to be a combination of the two and will dramatically vary. It'll get you both hand stoned, depending on the mix. I know the landrace fanatics will vehemently disagree, but the most famous, well-known cannabis "brand names" this type. The term I use is Type IV/Hybrid.

And of course there's multi, poly hybrids. :ROFLMAO:
Phenotype is not always an indicator of chemotype. Punto Rojo was all I had access to when I started smoking. It's tall and rangy with narrow leaves. Call it a sativa or an NLD but it absolutely gets you stoned. Same for Lebanese. And I see Ace's Lebanese tested at 7% CBD. The Afghani and Pakistani 'Indicas' that are most often discussed on this website typically have less than .2% CBD and often closer to 0%. And current autoflowering cultivars have chemotypes which in no way resemble those of feral ruderalis.

CharlesU Farley

Phenotype is not always an indicator of chemotype. Punto Rojo was all I had access to when I started smoking. It's tall and rangy with narrow leaves. Call it a sativa or an NLD but it absolutely gets you stoned. Same for Lebanese. And I see Ace's Lebanese tested at 7% CBD. The Afghani and Pakistani 'Indicas' that are most often discussed on this website typically have less than .2% CBD and often closer to 0%. And current autoflowering cultivars have chemotypes which in no way resemble those of feral ruderalis.
Unfortunately, most growers/cultivators these days live in a multi-poly hybrid, feminized, soon to be Auto world.

Some of us dinosaurs decline to participate. ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts