What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is there an Analog to HCN (Hydrogen Cyanide) for Gold Mining ?

St. Phatty

Cyanide is SO USEFUL for Gold Mining - yet so destructive.

Thinking that there is something "Magic" about the chemical structure - Carbon shares 1 electron with Hydrogen, 3 electrons with Nitrogen - is it possible that a molecule with similar bonds could be used to replace Cyanide ?

330px-Hydrogen-cyanide-2D.svg.png

Looking at the Periodic Table ...

1200px-Simple_Periodic_Table_Chart-blocks.svg.png

How about replacing the Carbon in HCN with Silicon ?

Since Silicon is right below Carbon, it would have similar covalent bonds.

Then instead of HCN you would have HSiN.

No, not the Homeland Security Information Network (HSIN).

If you do a search for that

There are 2 mentions for it being an "interstellar molecule" but no mentions for it being poisonous.

Or how about replacing Nitrogen with Phosphorus ... H C P

Then you get Methylidynephosphane, "Methylidynephosphane is the phosphorus analogue of hydrogen cyanide, with the nitrile nitrogen replaced by phosphorus."

Which has had an in-auspicious beginning,

"While the existence of the molecule had been discussed,[4] and early attempts had been made to prepare it, methylidynephosphane was first successfully synthesised in 1961, by T.E. Gier of E. I. duPont de Nemours, Inc.[1][5] Earlier reports of preparing its sodium salt were reported as unreproducible by this author. Methylidynephosphane may have contributed to an explosion that killed Vera Bogdanovskaia, an early chemist pursuing it, one of the first female chemists in Russia,[6] and perhaps the first to die as a result of her own research.[7][8]"

OH WELL. Was going to ask a chemistry professor about this, wanted to look like I had done some preliminary reading.

Or, what if you replace both the Carbon and the Nitrogen, and get H Si P, Hydrogen Silicon Phosphorus ?

St. Phatty

Chlorine is actually very useful for Gold Mining.

As far as Mercury, I know one local guy who did Mercury separations in the Utility room in his apartment building.

I am pretty sure he is an example of heavy metals Neuro-toxicity, but I didn't know him before he tried to "enrich" himself by exposing himself to Gaseous Mercury.

On the Chemistry front, the class I'm taking just crossed the line into "really making you think". Now they're talking about Molecular Orbitals. Like regular Electron orbitals, but more complicated.

Latest posts

Latest posts