What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is there a way to keep tomato plants small?

dboi87

i was thinking about maybe keeping a cherry tomato plant going over the winter inside, but only if it's possible to keep the plant relatively small. Is this possible? If so, how how small could a cherry or grape tomato plant be while still producing fruit.

Pro Headies

Veteran
I had some sungolds come up from the previous years plants this year. They were blocked from getting much sun by this years grape tomato variety that got 8-9ft tall. The sungolds got maybe 2ft tall and produced a few tomatos. They were in 1000gallon raised bed but id bet if you put your plant in small pot and under lower intensity light kept close they would stay on the smaller side.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
theres strains for containers and such that form small bushes naturally...yeehaw..you can prune/train tomatoes too ...

If you have the time, couldn't you start from seed. Let grow a bit, then take clones, and flower those? Seems like just keep a mother getting older and older, and keep taking clones, those clones will be a mature'eeer clone, and be able to fruit quicker?

Growing other plants still is a mystery to me, til i start understanding how each plant lives and reacts. Like some strawberries or blueberries need a few years of life before fruiting is viable, but once that plant has reached it's maturity can't you clone and just instantly fruit?

I'm very curious about indoor growing everything i wanna eat. But i get turned off by how some seed starts can take years, or you need to keep them for years and pinch off early flowers to allow for years of root growth compared to fruit growth.

Anywho, let us know what you figure out that works! I'd be interested :) Thanks for the good thread :)

Budley Doright

Veteran
Here is another take....

Most folks who do tomatoes understand the concept to suckering the plant......

If you leave the first sucker on the plant...... allow the main plant to grow some....

once it hits a certain point..... pinch off the new flower trusses and new growth......

once you harvest the main plant....cut it away....the sucker part of the plant can take over......

You are effectively growing the plant horizontally instead of vertically.....

MicroRoy

Look in online seed catologs. Tomatoes are devided into determinate. They grow into a bush of a that is more or less fixed.

Then there are Indeterminate. They grow long vines.

DJXX

Veteran
i was thinking about maybe keeping a cherry tomato plant going over the winter inside, but only if it's possible to keep the plant relatively small. Is this possible? If so, how how small could a cherry or grape tomato plant be while still producing fruit.
if it is getting too big just trim a lil off....won't hurt it at all..DJXX

MicroRoy

A Tiny Tim . Should grow between 8 and 16 inches. More light smaller size.

If you try to grow a plant that wants to be six feet long and try to keep it cut back. It will spend most of its energy trying to recover from it's wounds. Then every wound is an invitation for disease to enter the plant.

SouthernGuerila

Gotta Smoke 'Em All!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bonsai techniques might work. Depends on variety and vigor of some plants.Should be able to put them in some sort of stasis with nute deficiency and other techniques as long as they're supplied with the bare basics needed to survive?

H

Hashash

from what i experienced with chilis and other plants
is that a lot of blue light helps to keep the plants small and strong
without too much elongation, never tried a tomato with this though
but i guess it might end up similar, a small pot and low nitrogen may be helpful,
it certainly is while growing big ass sativas indoors

gardener60

Although they have dwarf varieties and determinate varieties that will grow about 2 ft tall you can take the indeterminate varieties and top them and that will stop them form growing and make them bushy.

Last edited:
There are two types of vines, determinant and indeterminate. Determinate vines will basically grow to a certain size, fruit, and finish, more of less all at once. A tiny variety I grow that only gets 12-18 inches is Sweet and Neat. Indeterminate vines will basically grow and grow and fruit continuously all season long. Other than that, you can and should be topping your Indeterminate vines to bush em out.