What's new

is there a pressing tool out there instead of cheesecloth and hands

every time i made butter for extreem spine pain i would use cheese cloth and plain old hand squeeze to get the butter out of the plant material, some where over the years i seen some kind of food press to squeeze out all of a liquid out of food and i was wondering if anyone seen or use some kind of press to get all the butter out of the plant material .. a press would be great so there is no waste at all.

if any one knows what im talking about and where i can get a press like this please let me know

Thanks

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You might want to check out potato ricers on Amazon or eBay. Sort of like a large garlic press.

This is what I use, and they work great. I bought one of the OXO versions, and it is amazing how much less work this is now - it functions as both a strainer and a press. I still use cheesecloth for my final filtration, and then stick it in one of the clay presses linked below for the final squeeze.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grip...OCJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330456833&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Makins-Profes...OXWQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330456812&sr=8-2

analogue

Potato ricer! Brilliant. :) Just what I *need* for squeezing the last goodnesses out of the cannabis/oil/butter/glycerin.

I used to use cheesecloth but switched to a fine mesh bowl strainer (metal) used for wok frying. (chinatown).

i have a professional version of a ricer, so my old one is back to potatoes. my new press (a birthday gift from sunk pharm research's bookkeeper!) looks like a giant garlic press....lots of moment arm to squeeze out every last drop!

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
If one has the money a duck press would be ideal, it works with a screw press, you could reef it down to a brick, they have them on amazon but like I said spendy. I personally do not have one, be nice tho, I'd like to press a duck or two.

This is what I use, and they work great. I bought one of the OXO versions, and it is amazing how much less work this is now - it functions as both a strainer and a press. I still use cheesecloth for my final filtration, and then stick it in one of the clay presses linked below for the final squeeze.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grip...OCJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330456833&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Makins-Profes...OXWQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330456812&sr=8-2

the potato ricer looks like what i need, do you think i could put a coffee filter on bottom inside ricer and use that as a filter I am trying not to use cheese cloth because its so absorbant. maybe im too worried about cheese cloth wasting the butter. I just want as much as i can squeeze out of plant material . i want to get as much return as possible, now im sounding like a crack head.. I hate that crap !

BTW , what ratio do yuo think is good , how much bud and/or trim to how much butter, I have been hearing 1 z per lb of butter is good. I have only made butter a few times and never knew what was a good ratio....and is a crock pot needed, I use a sauce pan on low/simmer

Faint

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the potato ricer looks like what i need, do you think i could put a coffee filter on bottom inside ricer and use that as a filter I am trying not to use cheese cloth because its so absorbant. maybe im too worried about cheese cloth wasting the butter. I just want as much as i can squeeze out of plant material . i want to get as much return as possible, now im sounding like a crack head.. I hate that crap !

BTW , what ratio do yuo think is good , how much bud and/or trim to how much butter, I have been hearing 1 z per lb of butter is good. I have only made butter a few times and never knew what was a good ratio....and is a crock pot needed, I use a sauce pan on low/simmer

Faint

I think that the potato ricer would blow the material right through a coffee filter. The clay press will take a triple layer of cheese cloth that is large enough to go over a large-mouth mason jar and compress it into something that is about the size of a stack of (4) 25 cent pieces. I don't think that there would be a great deal of waste with it.

As to ratio, I have been using two grams of well-dried material per ounce of coconut oil, but I am mainly aiming at topical usage. My last couple of runs have been with a 1 quart crock pot, which is immeasurably easier than the double-boiler that I was using before.

+1 on the potato ricer.. that's what I use now... I put the cheese cloth in it...

before I used a cheese cloth and my hands and wasted a lot of butter and it was freaking hot!

In the beginning I used a garlic press which is still great for very small quantities... especially if you are doing a green dragon tincture...

I thought about a bigger version of a garlic press and saw a potato ricer in a store. I didn't know they existed because I don't cook much. Glad to see other are using that too! It is great.

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
this is what i use...
41%2B6YujINfL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-GTF...FQJS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1330479240&sr=8-4

i just press it with a spoon when it is in there. bought one for 8 bucks going 2 years strong

I was going to do it tonight, 1z to 1lb butter, but i als have tons of stalks and stems that are sticky sticky sticky , i know there are not tons of tricome son them buti think its worths grinding the stems along with buds and use them for butter also . any drawbacks ?

also i was going to make butter this way , 1z bud 1 lb butter and some water in a pan cook it all on low for a few hours then i was going to strain out plant material and then put in frige so it seperates and then take butter off the layer of water and then cook with it .. does this sound typical way of doing things ?

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I was going to do it tonight, 1z to 1lb butter, but i als have tons of stalks and stems that are sticky sticky sticky , i know there are not tons of tricome son them buti think its worths grinding the stems along with bugs and us ethem for butter also . any drawbacks ?

also i was going to make butter this way , 1z bud 1 lb butter and soem water in a pan cook it all on low for a few hours then i was going to strain out plant material and then put in frisge so it seperates and then take butter off the layer of water and then cook with it .. does this sound typical way of doing things ?

I'd throw everything in, but I'm after the CBD's. I have recently tried the method that you are describing, but in a crock pot, and it worked well. The recipe I have calls for cooking it a minimum of 6 hours while stirring at least every 30 minutes. I don't know how a pound of butter converts to fluid ounces, but I used about 40 grams of bud in 16 ounces of coconut oil on this run (a bit different then before - earlier batches were for topical use, and this one was for eating), and it will knock you on your ass.

Greenheart

Veteran
The ricer looks like a good investment. I've tried a french press but the butter was a bit too thick for it causing "blowouts" if I went to fast.

Nylon pantyhose for 33 cents a pair at walmart absorb much less than cheesecloth and come with the bonus of stretching to fit over the lip of my crockpot. I usually tie it to a cabnet handle and set the bowl on the counter underneath. Then grit the teeth for a session of hot potato as I hand press that steaming goodness into the bowl. I can see this ricer saving my hands from having a cooked lobster glazed in cannabutter appearance.

:tiphat: for the tip!

potato ricers work well.
when i make butter i use one to do the initial squeeze from the plant matter. squeeze it thru ricer, but dont rice it. do this through a metal strainer. let separate and solidify.

re-boil with new water, then run hot through screen mesh in a strainer. super clean butter results!

Neptune

don't use those stupid clay extruders from marshalls or whatever, waste of time and money imo. yeah you can make a nice hash nickel, but what we want are hershey's bars :)