What's new

Is there a correlation between cannabis smoking and serious flu

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I find (anecdotally) kind of the opposite. I have found that smoking weed seems to hold off colds etc and have found a few times that i got a cold when i stopped smoking for some reason (which is not very often). That said, my lung and general health is pretty good and i only tend to smoke in the evenings..with very seldom a day off.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Serious flu? Is there a frivolous kind?
yeah. it's the "sniffles" that a boss gets before he says "ah, the flu aint shit. these damn pussies just don't want to work..." see also "migraine headaches" "a headache? take an aspirin, ya fucking baby, and get yer ass in here..." if you don't understand, you don't understand.

Petrochemical

yeah. it's the "sniffles" that a boss gets before he says "ah, the flu aint shit. these damn pussies just don't want to work..." see also "migraine headaches" "a headache? take an aspirin, ya fucking baby, and get yer ass in here..." if you don't understand, you don't understand.fivolous

Whats frivolous to some is not to others im betting

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
Have any of you guys here at the mag that are in the threads that's smoke during seasonal changes have yourself smoke and then all the sudden got like one of the worst flus of your life or had someone experienced that it's only happened to me twice in my life and the first time was when I was like a teenager I think I got strep throat but I most recently had, I don't know what it was. I thought it was covid! took 6 tests all neg, and I've correlated to the Cannabis smoking I'm wondering if me smoking help the virus take hold in my lungs. Can cannabis be a vector for germs/ viruss? Can an elbow that had someone cough germs on it infect unsuspecting tokers later?

This may not be the kind of reply you are looking for....

Stoner circles are the biggest risk/cause of catching and spreading stuff while being a stoner. In the Smoke circles, a pipe or joint is passed around from person to person. Every one is placing their lips on the joint/pipe/bong and every one is is touching their lips to the "smoking device" and so do you if you are part of the smoke circle. This is the easiest way to catch something that is going around, and even re-catch something that is going around.

Point is don't share your pipes/joints/bongs, if you do it's possible you could catch or spread something around.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
"Point is don't share your pipes/joints/bongs, if you do it's possible you could catch or spread something around."
-Ganoderma
/sorry guys havent figured how to use the quote function just yet

great topic for discussion
this is a great point man, there is a difference between smoking weed and smoking with others
since covid i have a new thing where i will not share a pipe/ joint with anyone whom i would not share a sip of soda or kiss on the mouth
smoking itself has different effects on different people, but sharing with others (esp those you dont know) is inviting problems
another great point made is immunology v general health
i know some people who are in top shape but weak as a baby when it comes to getting sick
being active is a great way to get the blood flowing and purge the body of toxins, but if you are exposed to something your body cant fight you are sol
like many others, i havent been seriously sick in years and i smoke more than my fair share of smoke, everyday

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Whats frivolous to some is not to others im betting
anyone that suffers from true migraine headaches has my sympathy. any dimwit that says/thinks "take an aspirin" hasn't got a clue, and should be given a skull-crusher to teach them a little empathy... nobody else deserves one. nobody...:shucks: huh...i wonder where the "fivolous" showing at the end where you quoted me came from? odd...

Last edited:

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran

COPD and Marijuana

The symptoms of COPD are brought about by acute inflammation of the airways, obstructing and inhibiting normal breathing. In treating COPD, medications such as inhalers and corticosteroids work as anti-inflammatory agents reducing inflammation and dilating the respiratory airways. However, these forms of medication can be expensive over time and often come with negative side-effects from weight gain, blood sugar imbalance, and infection.

Recently it has been found that medical marijuana and its reported efficacy in treating respiratory illness has been linked to anti-inflammatory properties. These chemicals or cannabinoids are known to have several additional functions as well:

• Promote better sleep
  • Serve to support the immune system
  • Possess anti-microbial properties
  • Work as an expectorant (reduce phlegm)
  • Can relieve pain

Despite the positive benefits of marijuana, the issue still remains that the act of smoking is unequivocally harmful to respiratory health.

*being aware that COPD was not a part of the question, it appears that it is a part.
haven't had a flu since the 90s, after getting vaccinated. whooda thunk it?
even some hippy suggested it may have been from sharing joints or some such exposure.
hope you're better.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran

The interaction between the endocannabinoid system and the renin angiotensin system and its potential implication for COVID-19 infection​

Petrochemical

I will never pick on anyone who has allergies again I used to when I was younger in my house my mom is allergic to everything she can never go outside we can never have cats. Unfortunately I'm her firstborn son and I'm realizing that in my age now we have bradford pears box Elders Elms Ash all of it blooming out right now so the pollen is so thick that when the river pools up you can see the pollen sitting on the top of the water as how thick it is in the air right now and unfortunately I need to deal with the fact that the rest of my life I'm going to have to deal with the seasonal transitional changes

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I will never pick on anyone who has allergies again I used to when I was younger in my house my mom is allergic to everything she can never go outside we can never have cats. Unfortunately I'm her firstborn son and I'm realizing that in my age now we have bradford pears box Elders Elms Ash all of it blooming out right now so the pollen is so thick that when the river pools up you can see the pollen sitting on the top of the water as how thick it is in the air right now and unfortunately I need to deal with the fact that the rest of my life I'm going to have to deal with the seasonal transitional changes
i NEVER had any allergies until a few years back. just out for a drive on a pretty June day and had a gust of wind hit us as we were passing a huge hay field. you could SEE the yellow pollen in the air as it came at us. been dealing with the shit ever since.:flu: