What's new

Is there a correlation between cannabis smoking and serious flu

Petrochemical

Have any of you guys here at the mag that are in the threads that's smoke during seasonal changes have yourself smoke and then all the sudden got like one of the worst flus of your life or had someone experienced that it's only happened to me twice in my life and the first time was when I was like a teenager I think I got strep throat but I most recently had, I don't know what it was. I thought it was covid! took 6 tests all neg, and I've correlated to the Cannabis smoking I'm wondering if me smoking help the virus take hold in my lungs. Can cannabis be a vector for germs/ viruss? Can an elbow that had someone cough germs on it infect unsuspecting tokers later?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I am also about 80% dry herb vape. I smoked about 20 joints a day for the past 10 or 15 years and I got to the point where the coughing fits were so bad that I coughed myself an epigastric hernia.

So, what kind of flu symptoms? If you're talking sinus and cold type symptoms, I never get or got that from smoking so I can't comment. However, if your 'flu' symptoms are throat and lung symptoms, it might be from smoking. Not cannabis, necessarily but just smoke (tar and carbon).

I don't think the cannabis, itself contributes to any flu, and by today's word, it would actually do the opposite.

Also, do you grow or buy? I never bought pot before I moved to SoCal and the pot in the dispensaries here instantly made me cough and feel nauseous whenever I smoked it.

Try a dry herb vape. Maybe it will help.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
aint had the flu since they developed the last vaccine for it, years ago. sure as heck never quit smoking during that time. if passing a joint and one of you was sick, who knows?

woolybear

Veteran
similar question: if someone with the flu coughs onto a potato chip, and they then mail that potato chip to someone else, and that person eats the chip, is that person going to get cancer?

Last edited:

Brother Nature

I rarely get sick and I smoke a lot. One thing I've noticed since switching to mostly vaping is that when I had a small bong, I definitely developed more of a phlegmey cough in the mornings than I do now. I had a friend put it to me that with a smaller bong you're most likely to inhale water particles than with a larger bong or if not smoking from a bong at all, which is not good for your lungs in any way. Makes sense and now, unless I'm not at home, I'm mostly a volcano hitter, I almost never have a dirty cough or that drained feeling when you can't take a good lung full of air. Even slightly moldy bud can do what you describe above too. My advice would be to switch to edibles when you're legitimately sick and feel like it's effecting your lung ability. Overworking your diaphragm is never good, taking a break now and then is never a bad idea, especially if you don't feel like you can handle it. Regular exercise helps too mate, if you can't do 25 push-ups and not feel drained, maybe take a break from overloading your lungs. Breathing is one of the most important things your body does, don't fuck it up.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Hmm - I haven't had flu since the Hong Kong flu in 1968 - and I have been toking since 1975 - lung health is important - particularly if you are smoking/toking cannabis - and I find that doing some cardio exercise at least 4 times per week helps my lungs function much better - since they do have the ability to expel most of what you might put down into them - if they are in reasonable/good shape - and the exercise improves the rate at which you can expel the stuff that ends up in them thru smoking/toking -

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I don't think I've had the flu since starting on cannabis in 1977. Like Gypsy though, I exercise and keep reasonably healthy and swapped smoking for vaping the last decade or so.

Doubt there's any correlation. Sharing joints or smoking devices might be an issue?

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I have not had flu to point of puking since 1992. Never had flu shot. Had like 3 day cold 4 years ago. Almost always do bongs. Vape is healthier by far, but I do not get as high. Taste is best in Vape. I always acted like pandemic in cold months, except for mask. Always cleaned shopping cart handle, and held breath when close to people or crossing behind them. I especially avoided people with young children.

Last edited:

Petrochemical

I mean I'm a Layman with a f****** bachelor's degree in urban forestry I am not a virologist. I was just asking a question because I was watching things unfold with me and a couple of my friends and I see them suffering and I did one of them is a biathlete so I don't think cardio is a problem for him it's just I'm wondering if there are mutating forms of cold that affect certain parts of the population where I live I guess I should say because it's becoming apparent to me that certain region suffer with different types of colds but who knows I just look at this from an outside perspective because I watch people I come from an area of the United States where we used to get stoned as teenagers, sit on a park bench and watch Tourists walk by as a pastime. Thanks for all these colorful answers though,always nice to see icmag awensers lol

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I mean I'm a Layman with a f****** bachelor's degree in urban forestry I am not a virologist. I was just asking a question because I was watching things unfold with me and a couple of my friends and I see them suffering and I did one of them is a biathlete so I don't think cardio is a problem for him it's just I'm wondering if there are mutating forms of cold that affect certain parts of the population where I live I guess I should say because it's becoming apparent to me that certain region suffer with different types of colds but who knows I just look at this from an outside perspective because I watch people I come from an area of the United States where we used to get stoned as teenagers, sit on a park bench and watch Tourists walk by as a pastime. Thanks for all these colorful answers though,always nice to see icmag awensers lol
You sure get your panties in a twist quickly don't you?

I quit "combusting" in 2010. In the beginning we all thought we were imagining things. re: no more colds/flue. Come to find out it is the Propylene Glycol (remember the "anti-freeze" in ecigs). Well it just happens to be an anti-bacterial, to the extent that it is used at concentrations of 10% in hospital air circulation systems.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Hmm - I haven't had flu since the Hong Kong flu in 1968 - and I have been toking since 1975 - lung health is important - particularly if you are smoking/toking cannabis - and I find that doing some cardio exercise at least 4 times per week helps my lungs function much better - since they do have the ability to expel most of what you might put down into them - if they are in reasonable/good shape - and the exercise improves the rate at which you can expel the stuff that ends up in them thru smoking/toking -
I caught that SOB as well. They say we are supposed to be immune to Covid if we caught it. I won't take that to the bank though. TBS, giving up "combusting" is always a good thing :)

rolandomota

Veteran
Yes I have had some bad coughs that last because I smoke all day everyday and it's not until I stop smoking for a few days that my lungs finally clear out the phlegm. Its A persistent cough that lasts I think its the phlegm build up from smoking that is keeping those germs alive longer

Petrochemical

You sure get your panties in a twist quickly don't you?

I quit "combusting" in 2010. In the beginning we all thought we were imagining things. re: no more colds/flue. Come to find out it is the Propylene Glycol (remember the "anti-freeze" in ecigs). Well it just happens to be an anti-bacterial, to the extent that it is used at concentrations of 10% in hospital air circulation

Nice try
How can you discern my emotional level when I'm putting text on an internet forum? Ill have to start using the ignore button?

Petrochemical

Yes I have had some bad coughs that last because I smoke all day everyday and it's not until I stop smoking for a few days that my lungs finally clear out the phlegm. Its A persistent cough that lasts I think its the phlegm build up from smoking that is keeping those germs alive longer
I have allergies i havent ever had before rofl
Got em from my european relatives tha cunts!
Flonase me
Let me untwist these "panties"
Even though ive freeballed since i could piss.

blondie

Maybe you had an allergic reaction to some bad bud. I agree with others here vaping seems to help cold flu.

Seems a good place to share this story. In mid January 2020 I was in a packed bar sitting nearly on top of a lovely young lady. She tells me she just returned from Wuhan a month or so ago but don’t worry she was ok. I didn’t think much until a week later. Literally overnight I came down with an awful cold flu thing. I hate going to doctors but went two days later as I hadn’t felt that miserable maybe ever. He was confused and told me as such. I tested neg for flu. Coughing my guts out he gives me some liquid Vicodin. I stop by the liquor store grab a bottle of honey jack, head home get my vape setup, get the remote, a shot glass and hit the bed. This combo cleared up whatever invaded my body after three or four days. The vape really settled things, more so than the jack and Vicodin. I ran out of those quickly...

Did I have the Kung flu?? I’ll never know. But I know the vape reallly helped. I was concerned it would screw things up but didn’t.