What's new

Is SSH any good?

SweetBOG

High there. I have a 5-pack of SSH, but to be perfectly honest, this strain doesn't *look* all that great from the posts I've seen, just average kind bud looking. Obviously I'm missing something because there is a lot of energy behind this strain on icmag. Can anyone please enlighten me about SSH... what's all the hype about? Does it taste or smell uniquely amazing, is it a classicly different unique high? There are so many great strains I can grow now, but would love some good reasons to grow out a few of my freebie SSH. Thanks!

A

alpinestar

its a strong grower
its a pretty potent sativa dominant plant (25% skunk, 25% nl, 50% haze)
it yields well
it has a high calyx to leaf ratio
you can find good quick plants 8 to 9 weeks for commercial purposes and then longer flowering phenos that will provide you with a nice headstash

it has won several cannabis cups in the 90's and then more recently won again in 2007

SweetBOG

its a strong grower
its a pretty potent sativa dominant plant (25% skunk, 25% nl, 50% haze)
it yields well
it has a high calyx to leaf ratio
you can find good quick plants 8 to 9 weeks for commercial purposes and then longer flowering phenos that will provide you with a nice headstash

it has won several cannabis cups in the 90's and then more recently won again in 2007

interesting, thanks alpinestar. I wonder if the freebies that have been going around are still related to the cannabis cup winner pheno?

blan-k-flor

Veteran
Last year I grew 19 strains outdoor, and the winer was SSH at least in the high department:abduct:. Smells woody and incensy and its taste is very good too.
picture.php

picture.php

SweetBOG

hey, good to know blan-k-flor. yours looks great. woodsy and incense smell, nice tasting quickie and easy sativa with great lineage. sounds like a dream!

buddah

Life is one big grow........
Veteran
classic strain !!!!!
there a sooo many goood, tasty, strong, and well fielder out there and SSH is one of them!

SSH is not a hyped strain at all, we enjoy it since over 12 years....

SweetBOG

i can imagine she's strong cause of the NL and Haze. I bet skunk would give her a sweet taste and stability?

Hold Your Fire

Finding my way back home
Veteran
I would think that there are many, many, folks round here that would put SSH in their top 3-5 strains available in seed form. It's earned high status.

SweetBOG

all great comments about ssh. I'm not hearing anyone complain about the freebie ssh beans being all over the place stability-wise from a pheno perspective, and to me, that's important. I keep seeing the classic ssh leaves on everyone's pics so how are the pheno dif's?

BENJI

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is SSH any good? Is the pope catholic? Do bears shit in the woods........

Hehe does a one legged duck swim in a circle...

SSH is the base for many nice hybrids REZ does very nice with his GHS SSH mum creating SSSDH and SSCH,, super silver sour diesel haze and super silver chemdog haze the first being a cup winner at the IC 420 cup,,, and SSH from greenhouse (When shanti was working there) being a multiple cup winner u cant go wrong..

I will say this the SSH mum REZ uses from GHS was when shanti was working there i aint dissing GHS there SSH is nice but shanti from MR Nice seeds created it and that would be the best place to get your beans from...

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
I started 5 seeds from GH. 4 females and 1 male.

I haven't found anything that looks as nice and filled in as the picture above. 1 came out super airy. 2 looked rather average. 1 filled in decently.

I wasn't able to let them go more than 9.5 weeks. So maybe they would have filled in a bit more. The taste on the denser ones was very distinct.

Maybe I just need to start a few more seeds. I would be tempted to try MNS SSH next time.

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
One of my top 3 no questions asked. Grow them and you will be impressed.

$HoRtDaWg

all great comments about ssh. I'm not hearing anyone complain about the freebie ssh beans being all over the place stability-wise from a pheno perspective, and to me, that's important. I keep seeing the classic ssh leaves on everyone's pics so how are the pheno dif's?
in veg they all have a very sativa profile, in budding is where you see the diffrences, i personally kept the NL pheno for practicality sakes...some go a very long time

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Pardon me for differring from the majority...

I ran only one mom from a seedpack of SSH Mr Nice, and I was not terribly impressed with it. I gave the clone up.

We had germination probs. with the beans, and the 1 mom I ended up with - although very vigourous, and a good yielder for sho' - was average smoke. Took 84 days in ProMix in a container. That is too long for me to deal with..

Of course, that was only one MOM, I am aware of that.

Through a souvenir from the Cup 2 years ago, I also had in my fridge, 5 GHS SSH seeds. Although I did not expect much, I ended up with two strong moms from those.. First round of 2 clones each indoors, still in Flower, for the first time, at day 34, and I must say, I am more impressed with the GHS version so far.... The smell is more exotic on both GHS SSH's than the one MRN SSH I had. Which was foody, smelled and tasted like a strain called SNOWCAP, which is almost universally reviled up here, as totally commercial pot.

My Indoor GHS SSH's clones look potentially more like the BEAUTIFUL HAMMERHEAD's photos above... One is stretchy, and the other more squat... They both look like they will take at least 10 weeks.... But, they look YIELDY, as well.

THX HH, great photos, did I say that already...?? Psyched over here for my two phenos. Both are also represented outside, and thriving. I want to see how they do out there... Nugs like HH's will possibly invite Botrytis where I live, but we will see...

ROTSA RUCK, Y'all//!!!!