What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is Reverse Osmosis necessary?

Bwanabud

Anyone that thinks you need R/O water exclusively to be able to grow quality/healthy herb, is out of their mind...anyone that thinks they can taste 50ppm water herb is full of shit.

We can't control the exact quality of the elements used for commercially produced nutrients, not the purity of coco, perlite, or hydroton. To think controlling just the quality of water would guarantee premium smoke, is not only naive but delusional.

The elitist's must have a massive water supply, or a very small growing space.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Anyone that thinks you need R/O water exclusively to be able to grow quality/healthy herb, is out of their mind...anyone that thinks they can taste 50ppm water herb is full of shit.
*facepalm*
I've already stated r/o is necessary for premium 'smoking' quality. You can make extracts and edibles out of all the mids you can pump out.

Folks can take what they want out of this thread, I've tried to put my position as clearly as I can. Clearly, the majority will remain where they are.

There's almost always a second use for 'waste' from an r/o unit, and outdoor isn't premium anyway. No sense trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Save your r/o for indoor.
:tiphat:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I couldn't adjust the pH using RO. I mean.. I could, but such a tiny bit was needed, and my plants didn't like it. Using my fully chelated feed and RO, I got a pH of 4.5 but the run-off was around 6 and that's what the plants liked. The coco offered more buffering than the tiny bit of acid was ever going to. Month after month, and I reuse my coco.

There is a pinned thread about coco growing, where he suggests low EC water need not be corrected. So It's not just me finding this.

Bwanabud

*facepalm*
I've already stated r/o is necessary for premium 'smoking' quality. You can make extracts and edibles out of all the mids you can pump out.

I contend you don't need R/O water for "premium smoking quality", my water floats between 40-60 ppm straight from the bowels of mother earth. Many people have been growing great weed for smoking long before R/O became the rave, but many don't have the ability to unload the excess water needed for large rez's...it's a waste.

To flatly say it's "necessary" is ridiculous in my opinion. Many variables control our quality and success, R/O isn't the super magic pill everyone needs.

We'll have to agree to disagree :tiphat:

Douglas.Curtis

There is a pinned thread about coco growing, where he suggests low EC water need not be corrected. So It's not just me finding this.
Coco is a bit unique, in that it is NOT a neutral media and not what we're discussing here. What you're dealing with is a coco related issue.

I contend you don't need R/O water for "premium smoking quality", my water floats between 40-60 ppm straight from the bowels of mother earth.
Wow... How wonderful for you, to be living in an area with such nice water. Enjoy it, since most of the world doesn't have that. Sounds like most of that 50ppm is also useful for your plants.

The other 99% of the world doesn't live there.

Bwanabud

Wow... How wonderful for you, to be living in an area with such nice water. Enjoy it, since most of the world doesn't have that. Sounds like most of that 50ppm is also useful for your plants.

The other 99% of the world doesn't live there.

And you give me negative reputation for having a differing opinion than you ?

I answered the op's question, you don't have to have R/O water to grow quality herb. I never insulted you and described my situation accurately and honestly, we're here to share our knowledge with those that ask...you seem to think you're the only grower at ICMag, quit being a childish cuck.

'Boogieman'

I have grown premium quality weed outdoors using well water. I don't give a fuck what anybody says just cause your water sucks does not mean everybody's water sucks.

Some of the best weed I have grown was outdoors period. Just because you smoke the local outdoor commercial or your outdoor growing skills suck does not mean premium quality weed can not be grown outdoors.

knuckles

Veteran
R/O is needed to grow quality weed if your e.c. is over .6..Ive seen an e.c. of 2.4 coming out of taps where I live...not sure how you could grow anything quality with that as a starting point...so get a grip!

Douglas.Curtis

And you give me negative reputation for having a differing opinion than you ?
lol, touchy?

You're championing a small percentage of the planet's water supply like it's a universal truth. Due to how close your water is to r/o, you're almost agreeing with me.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I have grown premium quality weed outdoors using well water. I don't give a fuck what anybody says just cause your water sucks does not mean everybody's water sucks.

Some of the best weed I have grown was outdoors period. Just because you smoke the local outdoor commercial or your outdoor growing skills suck does not mean premium quality weed can not be grown outdoors.

I grew top shelf Original Glue last year in 50 year old chicken shit. I'd show it to someone and they'd say "I thought you only grew outdoors? " they were in the ground and watered from my 7.0ph well. Seriously the best I've ever grown. But it wasn't anywhere near the 2700 indoor Burmese I saw. Just fucking wow. So much so that I'm giving indoor hydro a shot this winter.

Bwanabud

lol, touchy?

You're championing a small percentage of the planet's water supply like it's a universal truth. Due to how close your water is to r/o, you're almost agreeing with me.

I'm not touchy, but abusing the reputation system by giving me negative rep for disagreeing with you...makes you a bitch.

You should take a look on Amazon for some GOOD books, that explain growing cannabis,,,,it's been going on for many decades before you started. Many great threads by OG's here using non-r/o water, are you giving all of them negative reputation too ?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
picture.php

Bwanabud

:)

There's no fight, not even a logical disagreement...the fact remains that many grow quality herb without R/O, and many replies on this thread state so,,,,not just me.

You need quality water for sure, if your water has been tested and a low PPM rate...then use it. As long as you know what's in your water, you know what nutrients are needed to grow.

It's not new science, it's not worth a disagreement....much less giving someone bad rep for having an opinion, that's just morally and fundamentally wrong.

Douglas.Curtis

:)
There's no fight, not even a logical disagreement...the fact remains that many grow quality herb without R/O,
Just very clean water close to r/o
and many replies on this thread state so,,,,not just me.

You need quality water for sure, if your water has been tested and a low PPM rate...then use it. As long as you know what's in your water, you know what nutrients are needed to grow.
I totally agree. :tiphat:

And yes, I've been under a LOT of stress and my reaction was out of line. My apologies. My wife has pointed out, more than once, my habit of arguing over the nuances of how I agree with someone. lol

hazyfontazy

Veteran
Need to get an ro machine... Unfortunately recently I became a Poor person due to business failure.. Anyway
My tap water is a plant killer..I can't afford it but listen. Do yourselves a favour and get an ro...
Quality water equal quality plants
Subject closed

I use 50% RO and 50% from a Small Boy carbon filter.

The ph remains stable for at least 4 days.

I found I had to adjust the ph daily when using straight RO, the addition of the filtered tap water add the alkalinity needed to maintain a stable reservoir ph.

Douglas.Curtis

I use 50% RO and 50% from a Small Boy carbon filter.

The ph remains stable for at least 4 days.

I found I had to adjust the ph daily when using straight RO, the addition of the filtered tap water add the alkalinity needed to maintain a stable reservoir ph.
Check the link in my sig about a full pH swing, and the benefits it brings to hydro and cannabis. You *want* the swing in the root zone. If you don't get a full swing as your media dries out, I don't believe you can reach peak quality. With 'roots-in' hydro, the root zone swing is fully controlled by your nutrient solution.

Latest posts

Latest posts