What's new

Is our medicinal marijuana helping cartels profit?

Is our medicinal marijuana helping cartels profit?

The problem with partially legalizing marijuana is that it creates a legal leg for illegal operations to stand on. In Denver and in Colorado demand for medical marijuana has grown so fast in the past few months that few legal sources of the drug are incapable of producing an adequate supply. DEA officials believe many illegal cartels and international crime syndicates are now providing marijuana to the medicinal dispensaries.

"Dispensaries are popping up like mushrooms," said DEA special agent-in-charge Jeffrey Sweetin, according to the Denver Post. "Now we have thousands of 20- to 25-year-olds carrying cards. And the cartels are getting rich off this law." And such is the danger of only giving partial exemption to an otherwise illegal activity. Libertarians and liberals alike support the move to legalize the drug, while conservatives often move to delegitimize it as much as possible. In reality, there is little room for a middle of the road solution.

While many conservatives admit they do not mind the idea of legalized, and regulated, controlled substances such as alcohol, the notion of providing illegal drug cartels with a loophole seems counterintuitive to the preservation of peace. A recent bi-national task force has announced that America’s second amendment rights may be responsible for the cartel violence on the US-Mexican border; but no word yet on how much of America’s insatiable appetite for drugs has contributed to the cartel’s success and accumulation of power.

To add to the difficulties drug enforcement officers face, is the fact that the number of legal dispensaries in Colorado are not tracked by the department of health or any other entity. Also, the number of pot plants a legal supplier can grow is limited to six. By contrast DEA officials recently busted a massive outdoor growth of over 14,000 plants near Chatfield reservoir. The quasi-legality of marijuana seems only to have equipped criminals with a more liquid and camouflage market.

"Supply (of marijuana) is not directly addressed in (state law), and we think it's one of the areas that could lead to criminal elements being involved," said Longmont city attorney Eugene Mei. And he is right. DEA officials have a difficult time investigating dispensaries that are in state compliance, and therefore have a difficult time determining the contribution of illegal suppliers.

Moreover, the quasi-legalization of marijuana in Colorado has spawned a front for otherwise illegitimate cartels to conduct business at greater profits. A case can certainly be made for legalization of pot, but the contribution to violent gangs and dealers should be more heavily considered in the argument. After prohibition the government did not exactly allow random and unrestricted access, distribution or production of liquor. Such a nonsensical move would have only enriched the likes of Al Capone. It was restricted and regulated to ensure criminals were not capable of controlling the market. To learn from history it should be noted that while total prohibition routinely fails to produce the desired outcome, so does apathy toward the crimes committed.

While conservatives are labeled as drug hating, morally suppressed, individuals; it should be noted that it is not the concept of free trade or free choice that is at the heart of the legalized marijuana argument. Conservatives are not the new temperance movement; but they certainly are not anarchists either. Rather, it is the attempts from the left to legitimize an illegal activity that upsets the conservative movement so much. Consider for a moment the law passed a few years ago that legalized (or de-criminalized) up to an ounce of marijuana in Denver. Without proper orders from a doctor it is illegal to grow, sell, purchase or smoke an ounce of pot. But in Denver, if an ounce magically appeared in your pocket and you intended to do nothing with it, you would theoretically not be charged. This sort of apathy for the crimes involved is what undermines attempts at limiting the profits and influence of the drug cartels.

Perhaps marijuana should be legal; if we were to treat it like cigarettes with the appropriate warnings and restrictions, and treat it like alcohol with the respective limitations. (i.e.: no driving and smoking, no distributing to minors etc. etc.) Such legalization would not run contrary to the conservative ideology of free choice and trade. But the current system of quasi-legalization only impairs the DEA’s ability to adequately gain control of the violent and illegal suppliers on the black market.

Steps recently taken to legitimize, not legalize, the drug have greatly increased the violence and activity of illegal producers. Partial legalization seems to be more of a way to enrich the criminals than providing citizens with more freedoms.

http://www.examiner.com/x-11748-Jef...ur-medicinal-marijuana-helping-cartels-profit

B

Blue Dot

Cartels are not the major suppliers of dispensaries.

In LA who would buy mexi when there are a million Kush's available.

They don't grow indoor Kush in mexico, Hello?

furley

Cartels are not the major suppliers of dispensaries.

In LA who would buy mexi when there are a million Kush's available.

They don't grow indoor Kush in mexico, Hello?

Not all cartel weed is grown in Mexico... Sites get busted everyday in the national forests up north in CA and articles always say those are cartel-run.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Not all cartel weed is grown in Mexico... Sites get busted everyday in the national forests up north in CA and articles always say those are cartel-run.

Yeah...I bet they do-- Never mind that they could just be Border Brothers...looking to do the same thing the White Guys in the Forrest are trying to do--

B

Blue Dot

I'll qualify my statement.

Cartels who grow in National Forests (as well as Mexico) are not the major suppliers of dispensaries.

That weed goes back east because they can make more profit.

I can just see it now, a cartel member arguing with a dispensary that the dispensary is lowballing him. lol

nephilthim

senior are you actually one of the naive people who believes goverment is for the people?why on earth would you parrot dea propaganda?instead of taking the goverments position on everything and surpassing blue dot as our resident provacateur of the lame.
how about understanding if drugs weren't illegal there wouldn't be a cartel,that and taxing narcotics to the threshold of there never being a black market period.
no more goverment agencies prisons maybe rehabs subsidized.
drugs have and will always be part of our culture untill we reconcile ourselves to fallacy of control and interdiction we will fail to take an enlightened stance contrary to the propaganda of goverment officials who have conflicts of interest that you would post this crap is inherant of your naivete.
rand corp has done a study of drug interdiction by goverment,and equated it to a total failure.interdiction by goverment is nothing more than a tax on drug dealers,whichever asshole of the month club pops from now and forever on the revovling perpetuating"drug war"in mexico and every other latin american country our and europes drug appetites need to be sated.the tax placed on drug dealers is further paid by addicts and citizens in the form of drug related crime to feed the addicts unable to pay for their habits.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
My question is, how many verified legitimate patients are there in Colorado ?

Now we have thousands of 20- to 25-year-olds carrying cards.

Becoming a Patient in Colorado
C. Eligible medical conditions
Debilitating medical conditions are defined as:

Cancer;
Glaucoma, and;
Positive status for human immunodeficiency virus;
Patients undergoing treatment for such conditions are defined as having a debilitating medical condition;
A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition other than HIV, cancer or glaucoma; or treatment for such conditions, which produces for a specific patient one or more of the following, and for which, in the professional opinion of the patients physician, such condition or conditions may reasonably be alleviated by the medical use of marijuana:
Cachexia;
Severe pain;
Severe nausea;
Seizures, including those that are characteristic of epilepsy; or
Persistent muscle spasms, including those that are characteristic of multiple sclerosis.
Patients who have had a diagnosis of a debilitating medical condition in the past but do not have an active disease and are not undergoing treatment for such condition are not considered to be suffering from a debilitating medical condition for which the medical use of marijuana is authorized.

Is there something in the water making so many 20-25 year olds come down with these various ailments?

Currently, there are just over 9,000 registered medical marijuana patients in Colorado.

My one complaint is that these laws are meant for true patients in need and, it appears recreational users are taking advantage of the law, making a mockery of my (and others) suffering.

opt1c

Veteran
anyone whose ever been on an anti-depressent has probably experienced cachexia; next question... just cuz someone doesn't suffer like you doesn't mean they don't suffer; lot of people keep their problems to themselves, just cuz they aren't in a wheelchair doesn't mean they're not sick; just cuz their cancer is in remission doesn't mean its no longer there... etc..

Ms_Weekend

I can just see it now, a cartel member arguing with a dispensary that the dispensary is lowballing him. lol

not so funny...because the scene is going to get a BAD name when owners start getting shot & extorted by the cartels.

its only a mater of time

ChronJohn

As said before, if cannabis was completely legalized and allowed to be regulated then their cartel problem would go away. Have you ever been to the midwest? Imagine farms like that, except with cannabis. As far as the eye can see. When it goes through the factories for packaging and distribution, it is also regulated for purity and THC content. There would be no need to buy from cartels. Any company that even so much as sneezes in the direction of the cartels would be prosecuted via RICO laws and whatnot. Cannabis supposedly makes up 60% of the cartels profits (I'd say even more than that). It would cripple the cartels profits. With legalized cannabis, DEA and ICE and ATF and FBI can focus on REAL crimes like human trafficking and illegal gun sales and heroin/cocaine/meth smuggling. As far as whether or not the cartels are supplying the medical movement... I really can't say that it's a significant amount. I think that law enforcement just can't believe how many domestic growers there are out there. And about the 20-25 year olds with cards... so what? If they qualify, they qualify. I'm sick of how young people are discriminated against, whether it's with insurance or jobs or medical marijuana. Less people in jail and with tarnished records for using a substance safer than alcohol is always a plus. LEO is just pissed that they're losing their lowest hanging fruit. They're gonna need to get over it. Cuz we're just getting started.

Is there something in the water making so many 20-25 year olds come down with these various ailments?

My one complaint is that these laws are meant for true patients in need and, it appears recreational users are taking advantage of the law, making a mockery of my (and others) suffering.

Who cares if recreational users are taking advantage of the new law. I don't see how it is mocking "real" patients at all. I think everyone who wants it should have safe access to cannabis, regardless if others think their condition is debilitating or not...

Natagonnaworrie

If you love life, don't waste time. For time is wh
Veteran
I grow my own. I'm not giving them any money. Or any of my friends.

Come on everyone... Do your part..

Rememer that commercial that basically said 'if you smoke weed you are cotributing to terrorism'??

I would like to see one that said 'if you DON'T grow your own YOU are contributing to terrorism (/cartels)"

B

Blue Dot

not so funny...because the scene is going to get a BAD name when owners start getting shot & extorted by the cartels.

its only a mater of time

But doesn't this just lend more proof that the cartels aren't supplying the dispensaries?

I mean if they were with their predilection for violence and for the dispensaries predilection for constant lowballing you'd think we would have heard of millions of these shoot-outs (literally Mexican stand-offs) by now.

This is how it would look inside a dispensary:

The%20Good%20The%20Bad%20and%20The%20Ugly28.jpg

nephilthim

But doesn't this just lend more proof that the cartels aren't supplying the dispensaries?

I mean if they were with their predilection for violence and for the dispensaries predilection for constant lowballing you'd think we would have heard of millions of these shoot-outs (literally Mexican stand-offs) by now.

This is how it would look inside a dispensary:

The%20Good%20The%20Bad%20and%20The%20Ugly28.jpg

another point for total legalization:no black market no drug cartels,to further that point mexi brick seized at border down 20 percent from 2007- 2008.hmm wonder why.as burroughs said "never trust a junky"doesn't mean I fear them more than our goverment,I don't.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Who cares if recreational users are taking advantage of the new law....

Because the rampant abuse may lead to a rescinding of the law entirely and the patient loses, not the recreational user who will still buy wherever they can. The patient on the other hand will once again be forbidden to grow their own.

I guess it comes down to being selfish vs compassionate.

G

guest123

Well, here in colorado as a medical marijuana caregiver, I'm not sure if it is a good thing that we get so much cali outdoor on the med scene or a bad thing. Its difficult for local vendors as they won't give the same prices, strains, unlimited consignment, etc as the shops can get with these out of towners. Its good because there is a shortage of medicine here, and the stuff is always quality. Before it was consistent, there was frequently no medicine to be found that was even worth using in several shops.

However, it makes it more difficult for new local caregivers to get into the scene. And any savings we see locally don't get the whole picture cause if these meds had stayed in the california market, it would have drove down prices there.

So I'm stuck on the fence about it. What I don't like is local dispensaries refusing to work with local vendors. Any shop that does that again is on the blacklist.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Well, here in colorado as a medical marijuana caregiver, I'm not sure if it is a good thing that we get so much cali outdoor on the med scene or a bad thing. Its difficult for local vendors as they won't give the same prices, strains, unlimited consignment, etc as the shops can get with these out of towners. Its good because there is a shortage of medicine here, and the stuff is always quality. Before it was consistent, there was frequently no medicine to be found that was even worth using in several shops.

However, it makes it more difficult for new local caregivers to get into the scene. And any savings we see locally don't get the whole picture cause if these meds had stayed in the california market, it would have drove down prices there.

So I'm stuck on the fence about it. What I don't like is local dispensaries refusing to work with local vendors. Any shop that does that again is on the blacklist.

What you describe doesn't seem to be in compliance with your local laws.
Perhaps you and others need to blacklist those who are violating the law?
See, this is why I am very happy the dispensary model was not allowed in Michigan.