What's new

is mixing calmag+ and SM90 bad?

little-soldier

I know botanicare calmag+ has benneficial bacteria but I really love the sm90 so does it really matter if I mix the both? I mean if the SM90 only kills those bacteria the calcium,magnesium and iron should still be available right?

B420

Yes the Mineral elements will stay there the SM90 cannot harm it. It will kill any beneficial bacteria in your system though.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Lets take this one at a time:

1. Cal-mag does not contain beneficial bacteria.

2. Floralicious Plus does contain beneficial bacteria.

3. You can mix SM90 with Cal-Mag no problem. You can mix SM90 with FL+ as well but the beneficials won't be able to colonize the root zone. No huge loss though. FL+ is a great supplement.

4. Kelp is a sea plant (aka seaweed). There are no beneficials in kelp. There may be beneficials mixed in a product containing kelp but they are not related.

That should clear it up for you.

D

dongle69

You can mix SM90 with FL+ as well but the beneficials won't be able to colonize the root zone.

That is a common misconception about SM-90.
SM-90 does not have a negative effect on beneficials.
The bacillus subtilis in Floralicious Plus will be fine.
SM-90 only kills anaerobic bacteria.

Great info. I use SuperOxy (H202 35%). Is it correct that the SuperOxy kills ALL bacteria? I use it to combat root rot. Would I be better off with some beneficials?

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
That is a common misconception about SM-90.
SM-90 does not have a negative effect on beneficials.
The bacillus subtilis in Floralicious Plus will be fine.
SM-90 only kills anaerobic bacteria.

Sorry, you're wrong. SM-90 does not allow colonization of the root zone by bacteria at all, aerobic or anaerobic does not matter. SM-90 is essentially just coriander oil and coats the roots preventing bacteria from attaching and propagating. Whoever told you that stuff is making it up.

Nearly every online seller of SM-90 has a footnote on the item page from Nutrilife stating that it will inhibit root zone colonization of beneficial bacteria and not to use it if you use beneficials.

http://www.4hydroponics.com/grow_room/sm90.asp

http://futuregarden.com/cgi-bin/shop/91-1015.html

http://www.sea-of-green.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=136

Want more?

Last edited:
D

dongle69

This has already been hashed out on this forum.
You can call Nutrilife direct and they will explain to you that those retailers have it wrong. Nutrilife has done the testing, they can give you the results.
You can also verify this with a microscope.
Not sure how the misconception started.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Please feel free to back up your argument with links to these previous discussions. I provided my evidence in support so please provide yours.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Toll Free 1-877-533-9572.

Also quick synopsis:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=1951321&postcount=32

You also might want to relax a little. You seem like you are on the verge of violence.

You equate asking for PROOF of your assertion with being on the verge of violence? LOL....what are you, some kind of hormonal chick?

Anyway, thanks for posting some bit of evidence to back up your statement even though it's only second hand information from a single source. I emailed Nutrilife about it and Ill post their response.

Btw, I never said SM-90 would kill beneficials or "have a negative effect on them". I said it will not allow *colonization* of the root zone, which is what beneficials are used for. Sure, maybe they can free float in the nutrient but that's not their purpose in a hydroponic system. So if it doesnt kill the benes but does prevent colonization, what's the difference?

Last edited:
D

dongle69

Good job at going back and editing your post.
Being sexist is more acceptable than being homophobic these days I guess? :noway:

But please report back on the info from Nutrilife (I already have spoke with them and know the answer).
These misconceptions can damage a product (and company) reputation.

I have the crow all prepared and ready for you to eat!

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Here's the response:
"This rumour was started a number of years ago, through one of our U.S. distributors, the assumption was made that "it does such a good job of eliminating, preventing root rot that it must be harmful for any aerobic bacteria, (a fair assumption I suppose) although none had bothered to ask us or do any tests themselves.
We have done numerous bacterial plate counts using SM-90 with products containing over 50 different benneficial bacteria and have seen no death or reductions in the colony.
I have been meaning to reproduce the reports and send to all dealers..........you may have resparked my intention to get this done.
Please do not hesitate if you have any further questions or concerns.
Thank you"

It didn't really answer my question about inhibiting colonization of the root zone though, just whether it harms bacteria directly. So at this point, it's safe to say that SM-90 does not act as a sterilization agent against aerobic bacteria. That's helpful. But does it still keep beneficials from performing their intended purpose? That still remains unanswered. Oh well, use at your own risk.

D

dongle69

Eat%20Crow.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, you're wrong. SM-90 does not allow colonization of the root zone by bacteria at all, aerobic or anaerobic does not matter. SM-90 is essentially just coriander oil and coats the roots preventing bacteria from attaching and propagating. Whoever told you that stuff is making it up.

Nearly every online seller of SM-90 has a footnote on the item page from Nutrilife stating that it will inhibit root zone colonization of beneficial bacteria and not to use it if you use beneficials.

http://www.4hydroponics.com/grow_room/sm90.asp

http://futuregarden.com/cgi-bin/shop/91-1015.html

http://www.sea-of-green.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=136

Want more?

I understand that once you've established your root mass and stretch comes to a crawl that roots slow dramatically in their growth, thus reducing/eliminating the need for beneficial bacteria. Is that when SM90 should be applied?

I guess the best question would be, when do you guys use bene's and when do you use SM90 since they are in direct conflict w/ one another. I've limited use of SM90 due to the counter effects to bene's but have saved my garden a number of times from root rot and as a deterrent to mites as well as the foliage really seeming to like the SM90 addition.

Drop the knowledge yo. I am a fan of both beneficial bacteria to stimulate roots as well as SM90 for preventive care I just want/need to know how to best leverage them.

Demos

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
There is no conflict. No harm.
See above posts....

Not so fast buttercup. I just got a response to my question about whether SM-90 will affect COLONIZATION, which is the true heart of the matter, as Ive stated a couple times earlier in this thread. Just because it doesn't kill the bacteria doesnt mean it doesnt affect the PURPOSE of the bacteria.

After rereading your question, sorry you were clear, I missed the point, it does bring up a question I have overlooked for years, I will have to do a couple of tests to find out for sure, it does seem plausible that the SM-90 although not killing the bacteria, may strip it from the root?
This will probably take a week or two, I will forward my findings ASAP.
Thank you,
Kelly

And the issue still remains very much open. Save those plates of crow. You might need them shortly.

Last edited: