What's new

Is it worth it to re-use coco?

louie

Up until now I have always just thrown my used coco away and started with fresh stuff, but since my new set up is going to be using a bunch of coco each round I have been debating if it is worth it to reuse it. Is it worth it to reuse coco? What is your method for reusing it? Do you see any differences using it the second, third time, etc.? Does it hurt/impact growth, health, yield?

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
I rinse it thoroughly with plain water and then flush it with ph balanced water and nutes.

S

snoopytime

Awesome quetions thread, I am around 1/4 into my first bag o' canna so I was wondering the same thing tho I dont know bout shit for answers lol.

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
always worth it to reuse coco if you can, who doesn't love not having to haul a fuck ton of coco away.

Run some enzymes through the bitch, don't use any clearing solutions when you flush your plants and you should be able to get at least 2 uses out of the coco at least, more if you're adventurous

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Is it worth it to reuse coco?

I think so.

What is your method for reusing it?

I just cut enough of the stump out so that I can stick a new plant in. I don't use any enzymes or do any cleaning or flushing. I think old roots are good for aeration, drainage, and as a habitat for microbial life. I'm on my first run recycling with this method.

Do you see any differences using it the second, third time, etc.? Does it hurt/impact growth, health, yield?

I haven't noticed any drop-off or increase in performance, but honestly it would be hard to tell as I'm not running the same plants as I did with the fresh coco mix.

Pine

John Deere

Veteran
I reuse my coco all the time. No special treatment--I just dump it all in my storage bin when I'm done with it and scoop it out when I need it again. I pull out the old roots when I come across them but I'm not too particular about it. Never had a problem doing this.

Best of luck.

Just flush it, i think you can use it up to 3 times. Just make sure you get rid of all the roots!!!

Think you can eat them up with h2o2 or a similar product.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The main problem is residual salts,, which depends on the feed program.

Personally we recycle old coco in our own soil mixes all the time,, but if just growing in coco then we always buy a fresh bag.

Hope this helps

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Can someone explain the conventional wisdom of the old roots being bad? I just don't get it.

Pine

R

Rysam

My used coco goes to the compost pile to be reused on the next seasons OD crop.
coco is cheap enough and I'm rural enough to be able to do that.

A solid rinsing should do the trick indoors though. maybe add another handful of perlite to increase the porosity and replace the broke down chunks.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
have re used the same coco slabs for 7 runs before now. that was my record being too lazy to get new and knowing it will keep working a long time. basically 4 grows should be possible with the same coco. just use some zym product after the second run and your plants will love it, maybe even more then the first run. just make sure you do a great flush before harvest so the coco is nice and low ec again to start the new plants.

L

LouDog420

I have no problem running reused coco/perlite, even with bits and pieces of roots. 4 runs are a commonplace and my current one is actually on the 3rd round of reuse. If you're worried about issues with the old roots, run some SM90 or enzymes to clean it up and keep the bad stuff down.

For me, Standard GH 3 part with some cal-mag and drip clean to keep the salt build up down. No problems whatsoever.

Reuse that coco, save yourself a few bucks, and a trip to the dumping grounds :wave:

louie

Appreciate all of the info! So it sounds like I should be good reusing it a few times, nice. I just started using drip clean and am liking what I see ( I use drippers). So as far as enzymes to break down the roots, what should I use? I remember reading a thread about cheap enzymes (I think they were used for ponds), are these as effective as others?

jescowhite

Is it worth it to re-use coco?

Can someone explain the conventional wisdom of the old roots being bad? I just don't get it.

Pine

There not bad. This is farming, half the dorks on here are trying to hide a pc.case grow from their mom or roomate.

dgr

lol jesco

pinecone, you use a core drill to plant your new plants? My pots are FULL of roots. There isn't space to put a new clone.

I throw my stumps/squares of coco into a bin o' water. When I get around to it, I swish off the coco and toss the root mass. It doesn't seem to be a 100% recovery so while I reuse my coco, it is supplemented with new as I fill pots.

b8man

Veteran
Honestly, the rootmass when I grow in my little airpots is so dense that I can't even break it up! Months later they're still bricks on the compost heap.

So I throw mine.

And old roots can be bad if they've started to rot or carry any pathogens from the previous grow. Cannazym and other enzyme products are used to break down the dead roots into usable nutrients.

louie

Yeah, I was wondering about that myself because I usually get super dense root masses in coco and it seems like it would be impossible to break up, but I have never used enzymes before. I'm not sure if they would make that big of a difference.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
pinecone, you use a core drill to plant your new plants?

I use a dry wall saw to saw enough of the rootball out to make space for the new cutting. The roots are dense, but not too dense for the the saw to cut through. :) I also use a large final container (22 gallons) and transplant in small plants from a half gallon container; its not like I'm trying to get a plant from a 3 gallon pot into a 5 gallon pot.

The pictures below were an hour apart.

Pine

B

bonecarver_OG

same here - the solid root lumps makes me put it into the compost for the outside garden. the garden loves it. it even works well as a mulch.

but coco works fine to recycle! :D

i have also recycled coco various times, but the lime build up and salt issues makes me only recycle coco from the veg area, where i only recycle the coco from unwanted males etc. im sure if i would have normal tap water the deal would be different.

coco is developed for multiple harvests, if not it would be a quite useless hydroponic medium in agricultural aspects.