What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is it true smaller plants are often frostier? If so why?

burningfire

Veteran
The classical indica or hashplant might look more similar to some of the auto crosses where the whole plant is a 1-2 ft. single cola. Completely different than a sativa which will grow like a tree. It's easy to see how the hashplant phenotype is easily suited to indoor growing when space and light cost money. This is a big reason for many of the cannabis crosses at least old ones from years ago.

The "% thc" of the whole entire plant will be a higher number if you compare a hashplant to a 15 ft. tall plant, even if the flowers are potent. Since the sativa phenotype might give you mostly fiber stalks by volume/weight and relatively few potent flowers, understandable why this isn't as lucrative, or even viable really for suppliers let alone hobbyists. Remembering years ago when I heard about 7 week chop, it is really cool to see more and more "tastier" maybe lesser yielding strains 60-80+ days being grown.

I think I would replace "Classical" with "Modern" Classical Indicas or Hashplants from the 70s are usually moderately tall and quite bushy. The typical afghan plant is much taller than people expect, they have been conditioned by seeing pictures of plants grown in extremely poor soil and harsh conditions but if you look at something like a Mazar-i-sharif plant you can find giant hashplants in the mix.

But I'll agree that the selection for faster plants has made them smaller and IMO less interesting..

as for my opinion on small plants being frostier, I think it really depends on when in the veg process the plants starts flowering, I think that when the first layer of resin appears and the leaflets are closer to the buds you will see more resin. In the end if you average the trichome yield over the entire plant they will be similar

BerrySeal

Outdoor this is true. We're talking 15 foot vs 8 foot. But since 8 foot fit in my room that's what I'll grow. The sog bullshit the dispensaries sell is garbage so there's that.

Frost is just that. Frost. Really means nothing. Anyone who disagree doesn't smoke.

Mengsk

Thanks, I am most likely thinking of harsh conditions naturally growing indica plants which in rocky soil in a desert might be very small. Doesn't mean they won't get large in better conditions.

i will probably make another thread, but making an f1 hybrid with an autoflower will reduce flowering times greatly and choosing the right autoflower and making the right selections you can really make something unique and fast

therevverend

Veteran
We're talking about frostiness not THC% or effects or potency. The answer is no. Frostiness is entirely genetic has nothing to do with the size of the plant.
I've found that if you take cuts of the same strain, grow one vigorously and healthy to it's maximum size and keep the other one small and root bound in an undersized container the larger one will produce more resin glands and frostier flowers.
Saying Indicas are frostier then Sativas because Indicas are Hashplants is a generalization and probably impossible to prove. To my eye I've seen plenty of Sativas and Indicas equally stacked in frost. And I've seen Sativas and Indicas lacking in resin.
One of the frostiest plants I ever saw was the 'Crystal Sativa'. It was the offspring of a Mendicino Purple hybrid strain that was extremely frosty on the Indica side of things. It produced a seed that were either selfed from hermie pollen or from an intersex female clone.
A friend started the seed and it grew into a plant with extremely thin leaves unlike it's mother. Grew enormously bushy. Didn't turn purple. She was grown indoors, he had to keep trimming new growth from it because it kept sending out new vegetative shoots. He harvested a large yield of buds covered in huge resin crystals, and gave it to me.
I regenerated it indoors. It sent out dozens and dozens of shoots. Throughout Veg I had to prune it over and over to keep it from becoming a mess. It ended up a huge bush for an indoor plant, dozens of frost covered tops. Not only was it covered in crystal, the resin crystals were massive. As big as any I've seen. I harvested a much larger crop then the original and gave it back to him.
He planted it in a deep hole outside. It regenerated and became massive. He had to tie it down to hide it from the neighbors. Through the summer he had to keep tying bricks and heavy stones on the branches because it kept ripping the stakes from the ground. He manged to keep it under the 6 foot fence line as it turned into a gnarled mass of ultra frosty thin leaf buds. Harvested in late September. Probably the coolest plant I've seen.
That was as frosty as anything I've ever seen. Not really big or small, or Indica or Sativa. I don't think the frostiest plants are either bigger or smaller, frostiness isn't a trait directly related to size.

B

Bird~friend

First I've heard of that! Burro Johnson :):dance013:
Ah. You Ask a Question. :tiphat:

They are more Linear ,so from a short distance Probably appears like that

Last edited:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran

Originally the dwarfism of cannabis has been due to its acclimatization at high altitudes, naturally different quality of resin and superior production. ;)

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training

Originally the dwarfism of cannabis has been due to its acclimatization at high altitudes, naturally different quality of resin and superior production. ;)
Yes, though it isn't 'dwarfism' at play here, it's environment. Which I mentioned earlier though it was in a different context. See, I mentioned the conditions which exist at high altitudes, where this superior quality comes from. Though genetics may determine the full genetic potential, I still believe environment can greatly assist in achieving the most amazing results from those genetics.

What environment do you find at altitude? Cool and VERY dry. What type of plants do you find at altitude? Significantly smaller ones than you find down slope at lower elevations with higher temps and higher humidity.
;)

Calgrow

Frosty has noting to do with size. Is see short plants that have 25%+ thc and tall sativas with 25% thc I also see short plants the fail to produce much more then 10%thc.
Short plants are from cooler region less heat means less growth.Also many of the short plants come from windy environments and tall lanky plants will not survive in strong wind.