What's new

Is it okay to start seedlings in empty water bottle?

gingerale

Veteran
yeah bro just get the short little clear drinking cups from walmart. i grow plants in these all the time, they can grow from seed to a month or so in no prob. dont worry about the roots getting light, it wont hurt them. i grow vertical and i have plants hanging in clear milk jugs directly in front of the bulbs, roots directly exposed to 1000W HPS and it doesnt hurt them at all.

Barahng

The water bottles are long and skinny and i need to fit 35 seedlings under 1 light with 2 42" fluorescent tube lights.

I normally would just go with the red cup, but only about 25 would fit because they are wide at the mouth.

s0241418_sc7

This is the water bottles im using. 1 pint. Im just going to cut off the top and fill with soil.

So what im asking is it doesnt matter if its growing in a water bottle thats long and skinny instead of like a red cup with its short and wider.
Also does it matter that the bottle is clear? it wont affect the roots in anyway right?

Thanks.

the bottles are just like the picture but w/o the little indent in the middle.

Anything you can put dirt into can be used as a container. (Except paper cups, that shit so porous that the roots stick to it). Light leaks shouldn't be much of a problem, as I assume they aren't going to be permanent containers.

If not, you can just tape/paint black the bottom half of the bottles.