What's new

Is It More Dangerous to Start Smoking Weed Late in Life?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is It More Dangerous to Start Smoking Weed Late in Life?

Tanner Garrity
Mon, March 22, 2021, 10:02 AM
cc99ea16c4d28f85cccba8355f899795
old person rolling a joint
Seniors are the fastest growing group of cannabis consumers in the United States. Not high-school seniors — senior citizens. Between 2015 and 2018, the number of Americans aged 65 or older who smoked marijuana or ingested edibles increased by 75%.

The usage numbers are still small, especially compared to the 18-to-25 and 26-to-34 cohorts, which see close to 30% of the demographic smoking weed over the course of a month. The older folks only average around 8%.

But that still represents a tremendous shift in thinking from the early 2000s, when cannabis consumption was nearly nonexistent for those of a certain age. The surge can be attributed to the rise of medical dispensaries, successful legalization movements in 16 states (plus the District of Columbia), and — after decades of demonization — more reasonable rhetoric.

The pandemic has also played a role, as The New York Times pointed out in a recent piece. Seniors have leaned on their cannabis (either acquired through legal purchase, or as a medicinal, to treat anything from anxiety to back pain), to get through months of monotony.

Medical professionals caution, though, that research into geriatric use of cannabis is extremely limited. That’s the government’s fault; marijuana’s still a federally outlawed Schedule I drug, so the studies haven’t arrived yet. Long-term effects of the drug remain unknown, and it’s unlikely that cannabis is a panacea for neuropathic pain. Seniors searching for relief (perhaps even steered towards medical marijuana by their children), should try to keep that in mind.

Health experts are mainly worried about short-term concerns, especially during the pandemic. Cannabis consumption can affect motor skills and impair judgment. Aging Americans may be more likely to take a tumble and break a bone while under the influence. It’s also difficult for seniors to register whether THC has entered their bloodstream: older metabolisms are slower metabolisms. That can make it easy to overdo it.

The key here, until the scientists are able to lock down some data at least, is to moderate consumption (in terms of amount and frequency), to smoke or ingest in a safe or supportive environment, and try to avoid mixing with alcohol.

Oh, and, to keep in mind that stuff is way stronger these days. Seniors may not want to hear it, but the THC potency of 20th-century cannabis doesn’t hold a candle to today’s strains.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/more-dangerous-start-smoking-weed-160256914.html

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Medical professionals caution, though, that research into geriatric use of cannabis is extremely limited. That’s the government’s fault; marijuana’s still a federally outlawed Schedule I drug, so the studies haven’t arrived yet. Long-term effects of the drug remain unknown, and it’s unlikely that cannabis is a panacea for neuropathic pain.

They never asked me about geriatric use.... I (and many others from this forum, you included) could give 'em all the research they need...!

Sometime around the end of this coming June will mark 52 years since I took my first toke... And some of the peeps on here have been using cannabis longer than that!

What do the researchers wanna know?!!!:smoweed:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I was thinking today that mentally I'm still like when I started toking in 71. They say you stop developing mentally when you smoke, but I think it just resets my head back to then.

My body doesn't agree with many of the ideas my young mind conjurs up... or the pace at which my mind thinks they will get done.

Maple_Flail

i don't see any harm logically. the "concern" with adolescent use is based on its effect on grey matter growth as the brain is growing.

as a senior, you on the opposite end of spectrum, you'd long stopped developing as an adolescent would. your not longer effect by the effect of cannabis on grey matter growth.

if anything they would be renewing cellular functions they may have started to lose due to aging.

same could be said for giving their endocannabinoid system a boost..i do not believe anyone has studied the endocannabinoid degradation association through aging (if any)

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
They never asked me about geriatric use.... I (and many others from this forum, you included) could give 'em all the research they need...!

Sometime around the end of this coming June will mark 52 years since I took my first toke... And some of the peeps on here have been using cannabis longer than that!

What do the researchers wanna know?!!!:smoweed:

I am right there with you, Bud Green.

But lately it is encouraging that the general medical community is finally starting to recognize cannabis.

From my pre-surgery check-in docs:

3 days before surgery: STOP recreational cannabis (marijuana).
Medical cannabis (marijuana) may be taken on day before surgery.

What's the difference?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am right there with you, Bud Green.

But lately it is encouraging that the general medical community is finally starting to recognize cannabis.

From my pre-surgery check-in docs:

3 days before surgery: STOP recreational cannabis (marijuana).
Medical cannabis (marijuana) may be taken on day before surgery.

What's the difference?

Perhaps more CBD (medical) vs. Rec (thc)?????

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Studies come, and studies go, and I just keep sitting here, getting high every day and not giving a single fuck what any of them say.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Perhaps more CBD (medical) vs. Rec (thc)?????

I am sure that they (the medical profession in general) don't really know. Most icmager's have tried A) more different strains B) more methods of delivery C) higher dosages than anybody writing the medical docs. Without real scientific knowledge we have to go with anecdotal and/or trial and error - which gives experienced (old) tokers an edge. I will be hitting Pink Kush the day before my slice & dice.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Poster Girl here:bis:

I've been toking heavily for 50 yrs. and never mixed with alcohol or tobaccy or other rec drugs, all numbers are perfect though never a health nut, no prescription drugs, doctor loves me, sez I'm her healthiest/easiest patient!

So glad I started soon enough and didn't listen/wait. ;)

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I am sure that they (the medical profession in general) don't really know. Most icmager's have tried A) more different strains B) more methods of delivery C) higher dosages than anybody writing the medical docs. Without real scientific knowledge we have to go with anecdotal and/or trial and error - which gives experienced (old) tokers an edge. I will be hitting Pink Kush the day before my slice & dice.

I cookied up the day before going under the knife. They had some wierd things trying to wake me up, said they hit me with the paddles cause my heart stopped. Now THAT is a case of apnea!

Gry

Veteran
Would urge caution disclosing cannabis use to medical personal, we may feel like things have changed, but big pharma is relentless.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Fuckin got that right Gry. I gave 9 un-opened Symbacort inhalers to my lung doc and said I don't need them anymore. I told him about vaping the terps and how it made my lungs open and clear, and he just wrote "doper" in my med record. F'in med mafia.

Gry

Veteran
They love to tell us with their advertising how wonderful our "system of medicine" here is. Bullshit, most Drs will schedule their own
elective surgeries elsewhere. Germany is a popular destination.
Rockefeller medicine gutted the morality which was once the hallmark of medicine, and has replaced it with greed.
When one looks at the percentage of meds that have been recalled in the past twenty years, it gets disturbing, quickly.
I was once proud of our system, now I wonder if it can survive it's own lack of integrity.
We need to be bringing Big Pharma back home, and reining them in as if they were a horse gone wild, hell I just
saw an announcement where they are opening a new R& D facility in the location that recently blessed us with a virus.
Feel like I need a few bong hits for some reason ... I need to go get a vaccine slot ... living in America
If I sound a little cynical, I am. My spouse now deceased was an MD/MPH who was very disappointed with the
system as it is. My concern is with what the system will be like going forward.

Gry

Veteran
Fuckin got that right Gry. I gave 9 un-opened Symbacort inhalers to my lung doc and said I don't need them anymore. I told him about vaping the terps and how it made my lungs open and clear, and he just wrote "doper" in my med record. F'in med mafia.

Another script hustler in the servitude of big pharma. The most popular article in medscape recently was one on how to get out of medicine.
I actually feel terrible for young people who wish to go into the field of medicine. I seriously think that our society overall is in a world of shit due to the overall lack of integrity. Glad that you had a positive outcome, which was the result of your own diligence as opposed to the care from the script hustler.