What's new

Is it legal to film/produce/distribute grow vids?

toohighmf

Veteran
I know it sounds ridiculous to ask, but I have been thinking about putting together a DVD collection of various grow vids, and was wondering what the legalities are. I see the books and other grow propaganda, I just want to make sure I'm 100% legit. Any lawyers out there willing to chime in? If you are not a lawyer, or studying law I am sorry but I am not interested in opinions. I am looking for facts. I live in Cali, and work with a few collectives. I have almost 25 years of experience, and would like to put some of my experience to work more than my consulting & occasional crop. Thank you for your advice.
THMF

toohighmf

Veteran
I'm asking if there are any lawyers here to answer my question before actually paying a lawyer to discuss it. thank you though

toohighmf

Veteran
funny as that is exactly what I what I was thinkin.. however I have had a few of my constitutional rights trampled more than once.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
I am currently in the process of being in a grow vid.

I have no concern about my involvement at all.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
I'm asking if there are any lawyers here to answer my question before actually paying a lawyer to discuss it. thank you though

Bro, I am not trying to be a smart ass...it is just that there are so many variables, that you cannot get a legitimate answer without divulging a lot of info....prolly more than you would want to do here--
If it is going to be a legitimate DVD, then you have to step into the complicated world of Copyright Law, which is taken very serious for using other ppls images and such--
It can be done legally (Obviously), but after all is said and done, a Lawyer must be involved in the end--
Not trying to dissuade you from finding out info here, by all means go for it!! But it will still leave you needing Professional Personalized help--
Good luck bro!! And I mean that without any sarcasm--
Peace--:smokeit:

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
Bro, I am not trying to be a smart ass...it is just that there are so many variables, that you cannot get a legitimate answer without divulging a lot of info....prolly more than you would want to do here--
If it is going to be a legitimate DVD, then you have to step into the complicated world of Copyright Law, which is taken very serious for using other ppls images and such--
It can be done legally (Obviously), but after all is said and done, a Lawyer must be involved in the end--
Not trying to dissuade you from finding out info here, by all means go for it!! But it will still leave you needing Professional Personalized help--
Good luck bro!! And I mean that without any sarcasm--
Peace--:smokeit:

absolutely correct, All parties involved have signed Non disclosure agreements. I cannot say too much about what I am doin till its done

toohighmf

Veteran
kmk no offense taken. I cant infringe on others if it is all coming out of my own grows, so thanks all. appreciated

nepalnt21

FRRRRRResh!
Veteran
if they can prove that you grew illegally... although i dont see how they could possibly use the video as any sort of proof

T

theJointedOne

just put for educationaland entertainment purposes only. Look at IcM its one huge grow guide but they have no liability b/c when you sign up you waive that. just like when they buy your dvd, a label that says for education/ent. purpose only will relieve you of liability

B

Blue Dot

You're basically providing evidence of an illegal federal crime.

First amendment doesn't provide immunity to a crime so wipe that thought from your head.

ICmag just gets away with it because the servers are based in the netherlands, not the US.

So much mis-information in this thread.

toohighmf, you mentioned books and magazines. Ever wonder why every pic in there is credited to a pseudonym and not a real name?

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
Yeah, all they have to do is prove where the grow occurred, and that what is in the video is actually cannabis and not silk, oh, and that's assuming that you actually have video of cannabis plants involved...one could use drawings and animations.

But don't let the facts get in the way of your wild ideas BD, lol. Just list out the monthly indictments against High Times magazine.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
You're basically providing evidence of an illegal federal crime.

First amendment doesn't provide immunity to a crime so wipe that thought from your head.

ICmag just gets away with it because the servers are based in the netherlands, not the US.

So much mis-information in this thread.

toohighmf, you mentioned books and magazines. Ever wonder why every pic in there is credited to a pseudonym and not a real name?

What misinformation?? So you are saying there are not any Grow DVD's being sold mainstream?? Don't tell Jorge Cervantes about that!! lol
But...because of the legal issues, it all needs to be done in a (Legal) way to protect all parties involved-- And it CAN BE DONE...so it seems that you might be a bit misinformed my friend--:smokeit:

toohighmf

Veteran
If anyone here knows me, just tell me it cant be done... give it a few months. I love a challenge!

bergerbuddy

Canna Coco grower
Veteran
Of course its "legal" to produce such video's.... hightimes could be said to do what you are suggesting... They have articles along with pictures.... Its a magazine version of a video..

What is not legal.... is being caught in a garden that IS NOT LEGAL.....

Another issue.... you would not want to get caught up in the conspiracy to mfg mj charge by the US Gov.... So you would need to cast the information in an obvious INFORMATIONAL way... as opposed to an overt... this is how you do it.. don't do this yer yeilds will suck etc..etc.. YOu want to cast it in the veil of FIRST AMENDMENT FREEDOM... as opposed to THIS IS HOW YOU GROW POT BETTER..

There are subtle things to consider... but what you ask is certainly legal, given the right considerations when creating the viideo

B

Blue Dot

What is not legal.... is being caught in a garden that IS NOT LEGAL.....

No gardens are legal federally in the US so yeah, don't get caught in the garden you are photographing.
That's why all of Jorge Cervantes vids are based in Spain or Sweden, or "somewhere over there".
Show mw an example of him saying "yeah, this is a garden in the good ole USA being grown by "insert real name here".

YOu want to cast it in the veil of FIRST AMENDMENT FREEDOM... as opposed to THIS IS HOW YOU GROW POT BETTER..

Making an "informational" video of what is considered a federal crime does not provide immunity against said crime.

I don't know why everyone has a hard time with this one?

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
Nobody's having a hard time with your straw man.

Why are you having a hard time with the fact that the video may be evidence, at least if the video's producer actually uses images of something illegal and is stupid enough to validate that, but that the video itself isn't illegal?

toohighmf

Veteran
nothing illegal about medicinal cannabis as far as Obama says. I just watched a collective throw the DEA out of their off site grow because they are following state law..

I dont think Ed R's books are produced in NL or spain.. could be wrong though.

Latest posts

Latest posts