What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

is it herm?

Barneys pineapple chunk, week 2 of flowering, It look like balls to my eyes, wanted to be sure about it.
is it herm?
is removing the balls acceptable solution? is seed produced by herm plant are feminized? (if so, I'm totally ok with this situation)
photo_2023-06-03_20-19-35.jpg
photo_2023-06-03_20-19-36.jpg

Yes

Sure but it will most likely make more, might be difficult to catch them all.

Herm

omg :( I'm sad. I did everything by the book. it's genetic fuck up.

I have a tent with 4 plants from this strain
this specific plant which is herm, is not only the biggest, but also with the best traits (smell, structure, growth). she/he is really the star of the tent!
I have 2 options then:
1. put this plant away in the outdoors, where it will probably go into re-veg, and would never finish flowering because high humidity and mold,
2. let this plant stay, and risk seeds everywhere

I don't really hate herm seeds. like I can see benefits of having 100's of those (guerilla has never been easier).

blondie

Another school of thought is let nanner go. Seeds will be guaranteed female and a copy of the mother. They may or may not be herm. If you get a handful of female seeds you can run again is this an issue for you? If so... chop. If you are good with female seeds for another run.. keep the plant. One thing if there are tons of nanners, you will get more seeds than you want. Good luck.

Another school of thought is let nanner go. Seeds will be guaranteed female and a copy of the mother. They may or may not be herm. If you get a handful of female seeds you can run again is this an issue for you? If so... chop. If you are good with female seeds for another run.. keep the plant. One thing if there are tons of nanners, you will get more seeds than you want. Good luck.
is like herm seeds are 100% copy of the mother?

like, seeds from this plant would be copy of the mother? no phenotypes and etc..?

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Have u checked for light leaks? Some plants are more sensitive to them than others. I had a landrace plants that started herm because of the shine of the switch from a multi socket. When i covered it with duct tape they stopped to throw nanners. Get in the room when lights out and stay inside for some time to check if there is some faint light glow.

What light are u using? My chinese led didn't switch off completely because of the timer switch i used, i had to rotate the in the socked. I only noticed that when i was in the room after lights off. A short look through the door was not enough to catch that light.

You could try the herm seeds but chances are high they are herm too. When the herm hits it self chances are even higher.

Nannymouse

Hermies blast out pollen that will fertilize any surrounding females that are 'ready'. Maybe pollen is floating quite liberally in your area's air, but if not...if hermie pollen hits the neighbor's sensi grow, neighbor may not be very happy.

and what chilliwilli said

Have u checked for light leaks? Some plants are more sensitive to them than others. I had a landrace plants that started herm because of the shine of the switch from a multi socket. When i covered it with duct tape they stopped to throw nanners. Get in the room when lights out and stay inside for some time to check if there is some faint light glow.

What light are u using? My chinese led didn't switch off completely because of the timer switch i used, i had to rotate the in the socked. I only noticed that when i was in the room after lights off. A short look through the door was not enough to catch that light.

You could try the herm seeds but chances are high they are herm too. When the herm hits it self chances are even higher.
100% no light leaks whatsoever, same for every stressor. that's my third grow and till now I made 100% sure that anything and everything is perfect.
the lights are - 1XHLG120H, 1X150W,3000K LED Flood light with 125lumens/W

that's 100% genetic. I have constant monitoring of everything and anything in the tent, from temps, RH, temp at canopy level and temps at soil level, even PPFD and lumens. everything is monitored using custom sensors and mini-pc (Rpi4), I even created script that send me telegram message on every un-optimized data.

blondie

like, seeds from this plant would be copy of the mother? no phenotypes and etc..

I don’t know the answer. I suspect the seed will be the same phenotype as the mother and offspring should have the same abilities as a non herm seed in terms of phenos and genetic makeup. Someone with more genetic knowledge should have an exact answer. I tell the story of a Gsc plant I kept growing. I had a bunch of seeds that showed up in the bud from an unfound nanner or two. I kept growing until I ran out of female seeds. I was good with freebie female seeds. This is the thinking I’m conveying, if you are ok. Yes nanners will pollinate anything aneverything. Last summer a cbd plant of mine also threw some nanners. Outside it only pollinated one plant next to it with literally 3-4 seeds. I do have 20+ female cbd seeds now . No need to order more, no need to keep a mother.

A few summers ago I had a terrible herm issue, totally ruined the grow. So many seeds not even funny. Total loss. If you have many many nanners.. chop ASAP .

You could also chop nanners you see, realizing you may not see every one.

This is my thinking, and it’s not mainstream obviously. Good luck.

like, seeds from this plant would be copy of the mother? no phenotypes and etc..

I don’t know the answer. I suspect the seed will be the same phenotype as the mother and offspring should have the same abilities as a non herm seed in terms of phenos and genetic makeup. Someone with more genetic knowledge should have an exact answer. I tell the story of a Gsc plant I kept growing. I had a bunch of seeds that showed up in the bud from an unfound nanner or two. I kept growing until I ran out of female seeds. I was good with freebie female seeds. This is the thinking I’m conveying, if you are ok. Yes nanners will pollinate anything aneverything. Last summer a cbd plant of mine also threw some nanners. Outside it only pollinated one plant next to it with literally 3-4 seeds. I do have 20+ female cbd seeds now . No need to order more, no need to keep a mother.

A few summers ago I had a terrible herm issue, totally ruined the grow. So many seeds not even funny. Total loss. If you have many many nanners.. chop ASAP .

You could also chop nanners you see, realizing you may not see every one.

This is my thinking, and it’s not mainstream obviously. Good luck.
It's not mainstream, but that's reasonable actions I think.
getting feminized seeds in country is pure nightmare, 10 feminized seeds from barneys cost me almost 250$

currently ( this is ONLY week 2 of flowering) I'm gonna let this plant be. the pollen sacks are not open yet, they have at least week or two, and the other plants are at much early stages so not much to pollinate, and also - apart from those I got on the picture, there are not much more, maybe 2-3 visible ones.
next week (or sooner If i suspect sacks open), I gonna remove every sack I see on the plant
I can tolerate a few seeds, it will even be advantage, getting seeds here is costly and hard AF!

Reactions: Rgd