What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is Genetic Drift real?

Ca++

In a world without drift, we would still have all the best cutting only strains. Breeders would have them all, from the last 40 years.

In reality, all the old stuff is gone. Put a number to the word old, and you can see the real picture.

Diggy_Soze

In a world without drift, we would still have all the best cutting only strains. Breeders would have them all, from the last 40 years.

In reality, all the old stuff is gone. Put a number to the word old, and you can see the real picture.
I would generally agree, but I would expect it to be far more a matter of user error than natural decay.

If we were to take clones from less-than-healthy moms, we could see an appreciable loss in quality in a couple years, easy. The functional lifespan of a cannabis cut could turn out to be a hundred years under optimal conditions.

I personally know a dude still running DJs Blueberry and Early Pearl. Blueberry still tastes like blueberry, and the Early Pearl is as mediocre as she’s ever been. No more, no less.

Ca++

My experience has been a need to flower as they get old. Someone was just talking of a 14 year run, which is about where I would expect to see some differences. With less branching, some hardening of the stems, and more white hairs. With the slightest upset, good reason to put out groups of hairs. Rooting starts to suffer, as the harder stems (often a bit red and stressed) are not so fast to take. With the shock of taking them, pushing both cut and mum to turn towards flowering. Signs somewhat like a rootbound plant being forced.

I think most are clapping out between 15 and 20. I have know the odd guy working the same things longer, but they were doing it out of love, and nobody wanted cuts from them. I have picked up things and worked them back to health. I know my conditions are fine for 15 years, but I'm not sure anything has reached 20. As common as 15 is.

I think the general lack of older plants being available as cutting or seed, tells us a lot. Without me having to of told my own story.

Latest posts

Latest posts