What's new

Is flushing bullshit?

funkervogt

donut engineer
Veteran
I recently chopped some C99 which I was feeding using the Fox Farm line (Big Bloom, Grow Big and Tiger Bloom), chemical Ph adjusters and additive General Organics CalMag. Toward the end of flower, I continued to use Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom (which is not organic), and CalMag with the chemical Ph adjusters even in the last week of the chop. I did not flush at all.

Just finished drying some buds which took about a week, and curing for a little under a week, and the bud smokes clean and smooth. The ash is almost entirely white with only small specs of gray.

I guess my question is, for we the soil growers, is flushing complete bullshit? Mine was not a complete organic soil grow and the finish is smooth and clean. Organic growers make this claim all the time, but can we make the same claims for non-organic soil growers?

Thanks,
FV

EDIT: Removing the cab images (too distracting). Made new thread for my cab.

Last edited:

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
no one has to flush...but if your using chemical ferts up to the time of harvest your gonna be smokin em. that never bothered me til i started growin my own. nice cab setup

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The assumption is always that 'chemicals' are drawn in by the roots and remain unchanged by the plants metabolism and merge with the other 'chemicals' in the xylem sap. Personally, I never bought it. But, then again, my bias prevented me from researching it as well. I will say that I've never, ever been able to taste 'chemicals' in anyone's weed, even when other smokers who claim they can taste it are coaching me. I can imagine a scenario whereby a plant could be forced to uptake pure nutrients unchanged by metabolic processes, though. Simply let it dry out to the point of collapse, and then give it a nice salty strong nutrient mix. Enough N salts in there might make nice fireworks when burnt! Spark Buds!

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
i flush, why not?

but yeah, like everyone else has said, sick cabinet bro! :joint:

ArcticBlast

Natagonnaworrie

If you love life, don't waste time. For time is wh
Veteran
yeah seriously! I was going to comment on the flush question but who cares?? that cab kicks ass! is that vert in flower!! What do you pull out of that baby?

REP

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think flushing is less important than not overfeeding.

Like, that nasty crackling weed that tastes like shit is not because the grower didn't flush, it is because they overfed at some point in flowering.

Flush does help though, as I've noticed a significant difference in smoke and flavor when the plant is really yellowed at the end, indicating it has used the stored nutrients, vs a plant that is still pretty green. Some plants get there naturally as they ripen, I'd say most require that you cut off the food supply though.

As others mentioned - nice cab dude!

superbolan

When i grew in soil i never flushed and never had harsh weed, now that im doing hempy's I do notice a big difference, Last run i left one unflushed and it was mucho harsher

I think flushing is less important than not overfeeding.

Like, that nasty crackling weed that tastes like shit is not because the grower didn't flush, it is because they overfed at some point in flowering.

Flush does help though, as I've noticed a significant difference in smoke and flavor when the plant is really yellowed at the end, indicating it has used the stored nutrients, vs a plant that is still pretty green. Some plants get there naturally as they ripen, I'd say most require that you cut off the food supply though.

As others mentioned - nice cab dude!

Well said....I agree, dont over feed is the biggest factor to great weed....I probably under feed a bit....feed..water...water...feed is my routine, and when I do feed its around 800-900 TDS....That being said, i still do flush for 7-10 days......I do think this is an interesting topic though.....

SergeantGod

Flushing? I use to. And, it was a big deal since i had 30-40 plants in 15 gallon pots. That's a lot of water and shop-vac-ing it out.

I'm now following a very experienced growers recommendation. Feed until the last three weeks of your cycle. From there, water/hygrozyme/sweetener and let the residual nutes in the SOIL be used. He has the finest tasting buds, so i'm following his lead.

Good luck,

Scrogerman

Veteran
I fell out with a really good old friend over this one, he was so upset at my claim that flushing all depends on exactly how much the Plant has been Fed to Overfed, he stormed out of my house like a little child, very childish. Anyway, My point was because in my DWC grow i had a certain strain that only required 300ppms for 80%+ of the grow & imo the plant had taken in No Excess of nutrients, especially N, & P which are culprits to bad tasting/black burning & nappy piss tasting Buds, That there was No need to flush this specimin, I was right it tasted lovely & probably ther best tasting Bud Ive ever grown, With No Flush at all. It really didnt need a flush as the EC was kept Soo Low throughout the Whole grow. If i took her up anything over 450ppms she tip sindged & PH shot down, Obviously too hot for her, i lowered it back to 300-350ppms & perfect. On the other hand ive seen Buds Burn Black Ash because of the 'strength' & quality of the provided nutes, especially high in Raw P & loads of it too, terrible stuff & obviously wasnt flushed at all & was probably on EC2 - EC2.8+. If that Bud would of been Flushed the Bud may have not burned Black Ash, even the spliff wouldnt stay lit. So i stand by what i said to my buddy, well im still his buddy but he dont see it that way, Silly begger, it was only a heated argument & i hope one day hes man enough to come say sorry for spitting the dummy out, & throwing the toys out the pram over this often argued & very debated issue, i still love the silly bugger, he aint spoke to me for over a year lol! yeah i stand by it, sometimes a flush is Not required, especially if a very low EC has been observed throughout a grow like the one i did, If your curious, it was 'BB-Chiesel'. Hope he reads this thread! I will say though its good practice in the last 7-10 days in Most circumstances & if youve had plants on a very High EC then a Flush is most certainly required as theres bound to be a large Excess stored. imho! Good Luck All.....! ;)

T

Teeg420

um....Flushing is bullshit if you want your weed to taste like shit.

Dorje113

Since this is in the soil section, I'll say a properly grown organic crop does NOT need to be flushed, you'll just f-up your soil. I have re-used soil for years at a time and it gets better after the 1st crop if you keep it in balance. Flushing means you f'ed up.

If you're talking non-organic, or even organic with way too high nute levels, then you need to flush.

Think about it, plants don't get flushed in their natural environment. If you need to flush, there is something you are doing that is not at all similar to their natural environment, and I see this as a problem.