What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is Cannabis a basic human right ?

W

Water-

Here’s one more item for you, the last in our civics book: Rights. Boy, everyone in this country is always running around yammering about their fucking rights. I have a right, you have no right, we have a right, they don’t have a right… Folks, I hate to spoil your fun but-there’s no such thing as rights, okay? They’re imaginary. We made them up! Like the Boogie Man… the Three Little Pigs, Pinocchio, Mother Goose, shit like that. Rights are an idea, they’re just imaginary, they are a cute idea, cute… but that’s all, cute, and fictional. But if you think you do have rights, let me ask you this, where do they come from? People say, well, they come from God, they’re God-given rights… Aw fuck, here we go again… here we go again. [laughing] The God excuse. The last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument, it came from God. Anything we can’t describe, must have come from God.

George Carlin

White Beard

I love me some Carlin, but I don’t deify him - nor do I assume that everything he says is quotable as scripture (don’t even think *scripture* is all that).

He wanted people to wake up and think, not use his words as a rationale for our least-human impulses: he was a Mencken for our time, not a Jeremiah.

Quoting him is not a firewall.

W

Water-

I love me some Carlin, but I don’t deify him - nor do I assume that everything he says is quotable as scripture (don’t even think *scripture* is all that).

He wanted people to wake up and think, not use his words as a rationale for our least-human impulses: he was a Mencken for our time, not a Jeremiah.

Quoting him is not a firewall.

so, did you think?

sounds like it went over your head.

wake up!
your "rights" only exist in your mind

redlaser

Veteran
Here’s one more item for you, the last in our civics book: Rights. Boy, everyone in this country is always running around yammering about their fucking rights. I have a right, you have no right, we have a right, they don’t have a right… Folks, I hate to spoil your fun but-there’s no such thing as rights, okay? They’re imaginary. We made them up! Like the Boogie Man… the Three Little Pigs, Pinocchio, Mother Goose, shit like that. Rights are an idea, they’re just imaginary, they are a cute idea, cute… but that’s all, cute, and fictional. But if you think you do have rights, let me ask you this, where do they come from? People say, well, they come from God, they’re God-given rights… Aw fuck, here we go again… here we go again. [laughing] The God excuse. The last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument, it came from God. Anything we can’t describe, must have come from God.

George Carlin

Carlin sums it up pretty well.

Wish he was still around.

Gry

Veteran
https://www.sullcrom.com/

Sullivan & Cromwell LLP provides the highest quality legal advice and representation to clients around the world

Sullivan & Cromwell LLP provides the highest quality legal advice and representation to clients around the world. The results the Firm achieves have set it apart for more than 130 years and have become a model for the modern practice of law. Today, S&C is a leader in each of its core practice areas and in each of its geographic markets.

S&C’s success is the result of the quality of its lawyers, the most broadly and deeply trained collection of attorneys in the world. The Firm’s lawyers work as a single partnership without geographic division. S&C hires the very best law school graduates and trains them to be generalists within broad practice areas. The Firm promotes lawyers to partner almost entirely from among its own associates. The result is a partnership with a unique diversity of experience, exceptional professional judgment and a demonstrated history of innovation.

Clients of the Firm are nearly evenly divided between U.S. and non-U.S. entities. They include industrial and commercial companies; financial institutions; private funds; governments; educational, charitable and cultural institutions; and individuals, estates and trusts. S&C’s client base is exceptionally diverse, a result of the Firm’s extraordinary capacity to tailor work to specific client needs.

S&C comprises more than 875 lawyers who serve clients around the world through a network of 13 offices, located in leading financial centers in Asia, Australia, Europe and the United States. The Firm is headquartered in New York.

Absolem

As for “who”, the Constitution says “endowed by the Creator”

If Thomas Jefferson used the word "creator" in today's political climate he would be hung for not saying "endowed by our lord and savior jesus christ".

On a side note Thomas Jefferson is one of my favorite presidents. He was opposed to the president having power to go around congress and unchecked powers.

Yet when he was president he went around congress to acquire land from France in the "Louisiana Purchase". The duplicity of life.

Back in the day before med states every Jonser thought they had a right to other people's weed.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Never said it was the core, merely the origin.
We don't struggle with human rights any more in Britain, 52% of the dumbest recently voted to throw them away because a fat toff told them it would be good for them.