What's new

Is anyone using Dragon Dictate speech recognition software any privacy/security risk

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey all,
So i just got this software and i wanted to know if anyone here is using it.?
And since you have to register the product in order for it to work so i just wonder if there is any risk registering this device to my name then having it record everything said into it, could nuance inc. get access to everything transmitted through the headset?
If they can i'd be pretty nervous about the cannabis
It might just be me being a lil paranoid but id rather find out i don't have to be concerned about it now, rather than find out later i should have been later. better safe than sorry right?

thanks,
peace
Infi

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
hey all,
So i just got this software and i wanted to know if anyone here is using it.?

And since you have to register the product in order for it to work so i just wonder if there is any risk registering this device to my name then having it record everything said into it, could nuance inc. get access to everything transmitted through the headset?

If they can i'd be pretty nervous about the cannabis

It might just be me being a lil paranoid but id rather find out i don't have to be concerned about it now, rather than find out later i should have been later. better safe than sorry right?

thanks,
peace
Infi
Infi

I use Dragon Dictate regularly (daily) and I think that your concern is from the voice recognition software that is being used in apps in the so-called smartphone market.

When you use a phone with this capability your voice input is translated into text thru a remote server, the whole 'cloud' deal I guess is the buzz word.

Nuance does provide the basic technology (under license) but the desktop software from Nuance (like Dragon Dictate) work completely different, i.e. the translation is accomplished on your machine. There is no transfer of data to Nuance in any way. IOW, you could be in the most remote place on the earth without any access to the Internet and this application will be fully functional.

There is one caveat however and you'll want to confirm if this is a concern, but when you install this application, register the serial number (like most software), a pop-up window comes up asking you if you want to include your contacts. I paused and decided not to include this feature/function.

After the last update it shows that Nuance is committed to this software. I would suggest that you buy this book as it can answer any question you could possibly come up with. < $15.00

Solid technology and if you take the time to set-up things correctly you'll be very happy with your purchase.

Nuance also has a couple of applications for smartphones - one is called something like Dragon Remote which seems to me to be an odd thing to develop. It turns your phone into a microphone but you still have to be fairly close to the desk/laptop so I don't really get the point. But it's free....

The other one is an app that you load onto your phone and it is a true dictation app, i.e. it creates an MPx file that you upload and then open with Dragon Dictate which will translate this file into text - needs work but it's free.

HTH

CC

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I need to find software that will let me talk and it types on my computer. My neck will just not let me sit like this anymore for more than a few minutes at a time. Will this dragon do the job?

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I still haven't loaded onto my computer yet, but it should be exactly what you are looking for.