What's new

Is any1 else slamming their plants with high ppm?

Hash Man

Also, in my opinion, there is no such thing as "good" burn. Any burn is a screw up...maybe the first time you run a strain you push it a hair to far, but then you learn and stop that nonsense. Not saying we haven't all done it, just saying calling it "good burn" is a rationalization.

lol... i dont feel like getting into a big thing here... but there IS a good nute burn at least in the tahoe ogkush... and its when the tips of your leaves are barely burnt... and the rest of the plant is loving life.... In my garden, my plants that are "burnt" yield more than the underfed ones.... Maybe you all are growing stuff that cant take the heat ...:nanana: lol.... but my OGKUSH loves it... I only started the thread to see if anyone else is doing this, not to sit and read tons of speculation and heresay....I can appreciate the obvious technical issues that we seem to be have regarding the consistency of ec meters and/pr calibration... as its a real issue of confusion for most growers... but when people act like they know whats going on inside a plant... and preach it like fact... this spreads lots of misinformation... thnks to dongle69 and mistress for actually doing a mix and checking the ec... and reporting their findings.... thats science, ladies and gents... based on theory, but validated through results...:)

Question - have you done a side by side with your theory...? have you run the same strain multiple times? I have... so to say that burnt leaf tips is a bad thing, IME, is way off... LOL, I have even seen stranger things.... in regards to "mistreatment" and yield... Im just letting you all know I'm doing it, and successfully, and wanted to see if anyone else is DOING IT, not just speculating.... HM

Leviathan

I have personally, with no imagination needed, seen 8 ml of FN produce an EC of 2.0 and cause tip burn on two different strains, a little worse on one than the other. My imagination (because I never tried it myowndamnself) cannot help but think 15 ml/gal would burn the fuck out of my plants.

Also, in my opinion, there is no such thing as "good" burn. Any burn is a screw up...maybe the first time you run a strain you push it a hair to far, but then you learn and stop that nonsense. Not saying we haven't all done it, just saying calling it "good burn" is a rationalization.

Anyone wanting to try this should approach it very slowly and observe results before proceeding. Almost sounds like someone wanting to sell more nutes if I did not know better.

i like this thinking on nute burn, how is makeing your soil so hot its toxic and calling this a good thing? a burnt plant to me is a plant in nute lock as well, before u burn your tips your plants show u things that point to their being satiated with food, your going by tip burn means u missed the earlier signals.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Yeah I push mine pretty hard, I basically have two 4KW gardens side by side, one is Advanced Nutrients, the other is all Pura Vida Organics.

The AN tank is at 1400-1500PPM which is:

Sensi Grow A+B, about 1ml per gallon of each
Sensi Bloom A+B, about 2ml per gallon of each
Inoculaid at 5ml per gallon
Dutch master ZONE at 1ml per gallon
SM-90 at 2ml per gallon
35% peroxide at 1ml per gallon

PVO tank is
about 4ml per gallon Grow
about 8ml per gallon Bloom
5ml per gallon Inoculaid
1 bottle molasses (115g rservoir)
2# of rooters Mycorrhizae in bags

All are foliar fed with DM Liquid light, Folitech, and some floramite on occasion. They love it! Good color and explosive growth, flooding once per day, but only about a 3" flood height, mostly coco chips but I have one table of regular coco peat, they are all very happy once they get roots.

*mistress*

Veteran
gh flora nova feed chart: late bloom = 15 ml/gal fnb

gh flora nova feed chart: late bloom = 15 ml/gal fnb

D

dongle69

Get a meter that reads EC and you don't have to convert.
Even more confusing is some of those charts show Hanna as being .5 conversion, when many of them are .7.
They should leave the Hanna name out.
ppm readings from the cannastats nutrient calculator are elemental and real world measurements with a working meter are actually much higher.
I had several of my local friends confirm readings and the members here have confirmed the readings that 8ml of FNB per gallon will give 2.0ec.
Yesterday I also had one of techs at General Hydroponics do an 8ml test and I will let you guess what his findings were.
I'll post the email response I got later...

To keep this thread on topic, the following thread already deals with calculations:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=134356

Certainly being able to slam plants with high ppm is strain specific.
Slamming also requires flushing on the back end unless weight is your only goal.
I have found that my plants produce best when just below the "slamming" point.
Hash Man's 3.0EC slamming is certainly on the higher end of what I have personally witnessed for marijuana.
None of the strains that I have been growing as of late can get there, but I have heard the the og sucks it up....

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Get a meter that reads EC and you don't have to convert.
Even more confusing is some of those charts show Hanna as being .5 conversion, when many of them are .7.
They should leave the Hanna name out.
ppm readings from the cannastats nutrient calculator are elemental and real world measurements with a working meter are actually much higher.
I had several of my local friends confirm readings and the members here have confirmed the readings that 8ml of FNB per gallon will give 2.0ec.
Yesterday I also had one of techs at General Hydroponics do an 8ml test and I will let you guess what his findings were.
I'll post the email response I got later...

To keep this thread on topic, the following thread already deals with calculations:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=134356

Certainly being able to slam plants with high ppm is strain specific.
Slamming also requires flushing on the back end unless weight is your only goal.
I have found that my plants produce best when just below the "slamming" point.
Hash Man's 3.0EC slamming is certainly on the higher end of what I have personally witnessed for marijuana.
None of the strains that I have been growing as of late can get there, but I have heard the the og sucks it up....

LOL, I was just about to agree with you, but this spring I did a run of OG, and it was SUPER dark green, where the Chem Dawgs were begging for more food! I literally fed the OG ONCE and the rest of the run it was plain water, and they still never lightened up! Very very light feeder, or at least the cut I had was. Sigh, i wish there was some genetic testing we could do to verify what is what these days, so many names for the same thing.

Wait...What?

Veteran
If you are burning the tips, you are stressing the plant, and stress reduces yield. PERIOD, PARAGRAPH.

Back off from the point where the plant burps from too much, and watch it take off!

but i think you said that when you posted that it really liked it just backed off from the slam.

but at the same time, you can sacrifice 1 or 2 percentage points on the yield and back way off on teh nutes and save a ton of money.

the increase is yield between 'just enough' and 'nearly too much' is honestly, i shit you not, statistically insignificant.

i defy someone to prove to me that cannabis responds to more than 100ppm of P.

but, as always, dont take my word for it, test it out yourself.

I'm extremely skeptical without pictures and even then pictures do lie in some instances. Big buds that are all stem and leaves are not what we're after. We want tight buds that are all calyxes that smoke good and taste good, which high levels of nutes in coco DO NOT PROVIDE. My experience tells me otherwise and i've yet to see proof with a verified unbiased smoke report to back it up.

Have fun burning the shit out of your roots and wasting nutes.

D

dongle69

You are missing my point.
Wasn't it you that said 15 ml/gal of fnb was around 2 ec?
I wasn't saying 2 ec would slam your plants.
I said your measurements were wrong, but here we are back off topic again.
Please no more imaginary garden speak...

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
lol... i dont feel like getting into a big thing here... but there IS a good nute burn at least in the tahoe ogkush... and its when the tips of your leaves are barely burnt... and the rest of the plant is loving life.... In my garden, my plants that are "burnt" yield more than the underfed ones.... Maybe you all are growing stuff that cant take the heat ...:nanana: lol.... but my OGKUSH loves it... I only started the thread to see if anyone else is doing this, not to sit and read tons of speculation and heresay....I can appreciate the obvious technical issues that we seem to be have regarding the consistency of ec meters and/pr calibration... as its a real issue of confusion for most growers... but when people act like they know whats going on inside a plant... and preach it like fact... this spreads lots of misinformation... thnks to dongle69 and mistress for actually doing a mix and checking the ec... and reporting their findings.... thats science, ladies and gents... based on theory, but validated through results...:)

Question - have you done a side by side with your theory...? have you run the same strain multiple times? I have... so to say that burnt leaf tips is a bad thing, IME, is way off... LOL, I have even seen stranger things.... in regards to "mistreatment" and yield... Im just letting you all know I'm doing it, and successfully, and wanted to see if anyone else is DOING IT, not just speculating.... HM

Hashman,

I've been running Purple Kush for 5 years. I use GH 3 part standard synthetic but tweak it with a few ad ins. My Kush have the good leaf burn and can yield well. I've found that they cause the PPM to increase massively as they grow. I have to flush my system intra run and I never mix in more than 850ppm into the res. When I flushed intra run this time the kushes were at 2000ppm, they are looking ok for 42 days of 12/12

There is 4K in that 10' x 10' room, so I know what you mean about intense light. My bottom line thought is that I like to push my plants, but it takes hardly any nutes because I have huge aeration and the Kush seems to want to grow on plain water!

Peace, :joint:

D

dongle69

when do the profile of gh fnb, using calc you suggest to use, w/ weights adjusted, etc., ppm gets to 1273...
That calculator gives elemental measurements, not actual tds as measured by a meter.
1273 on that calc is about 3.8 ec.
659 on that calc is about 2.0 ec.
But again, way off topic...

I have to flush my system intra run and I never mix in more than 850ppm into the res. When I flushed intra run this time the kushes were at 2000ppm
When in the cycle are you flushing?
At the midpoint?

Wait...What?

Veteran
yes, plants run to waste can tolerate the nute levels for a recirculating grow

but for how long? :)

and does the yield increase enough to cover the extra cost of the added nutes?

Leviathan

im glad i read this thread, flora nova bloom at 15ml.. wow, im running around 8-10 daily and plants are luving it and have no burn, my one girls on week 6 and shell go around ten im guessin, ill try n see if i can get her up to 15ml per gallon real soon. interesting, i was runnin the lucas and maybe its not enough?

Y

YosemiteSam

Just for fun...8 ml of well shook FNB in one gal of distilled water...1.9 EC on my meter. Added another 7 ml, shook it like my redneck daddy use to shake me and 3.6 EC. Measurements were with a syringe so they were pretty close.

3.6 would burn any plant I have ever grown...and not in a good way.

I hate ppm measurements. They are just flat confusing unless the scale is specified and even then I gotta convert them into EC for them to mean anything to me.

I will not argue what someone does to get their best yields but I would repeat...be very careful if attempting to get up to 15 ml, not every plant is going to be happy with that.