What's new

Ireland Outdoor Need Help

cobo

Hi everyone, I have grown with hydroponics a few years ago with success ( as far as I'm concerned)but I'm no longer in the situation were I can Grow indoors. I have never grown outside before so I'm going to need your help.

I know its late to start off an outdoor grow but better late than never. I have popped the following female seeds.

Outdoor Grapefruit x 4
Outdoor C99 x 4
Purple Power x 2
Easy Sativa x 2

Also I have 2 x Nev Haze that I'm still waiting to pop open, doest look like they are going to open, well see over the next few days.

Right now for some questions, I haven't time to start mixing soil and waiting for it to cook, so I was thinking of just buying soil fro the grow shops finding a few decent places to dig a hole and fill it with the soil.

So I need some advice on what soil to buy and what I need to look out for, how to preper the hole and what ever else you think I should know. I was going to buy 3 x CANNA Terra Professional Soil Mix , will this be ok or do I need to add anything else to the mix??

All advice will be appreciated

gh0stm0de

hey, loved ireland and hope I get to go back some day..

buying soil is definitely a better move your first time I think, less to potentially go wrong that way. you get lots of rain where you're at, right? I would imagine you'd want to pick a looser lighter mix, maybe with some perlite and or vermiculite to help aerate it since you are likely to have more moisture and less heat in your environment.

just took a look at the terra mix and that looks like a great choice, but will 3 bags be enough? if you're going to dig holes in the ground, 3 bags is probably enough, but if you're using containers it wont leave you much to work with.

azad

Buzkashi
Veteran
Hi Cobo.
I grow in a greenhouse in pots myself as our uk weather can be quite harsh.
so I opt for the greenhouse approach.
Will you be growing on your own land mate or will it be a guerrilla grow. Theirs many things to take into account. I suggest you grab some compost from your local garden centre,3 bags for approx £10 (westlands multi purpose) grab some organic nutes like canna bio or bio bizz.job done.

You don't need to add amend the compost but can if you choose to,in which case you can feed less bottled nutes just plain water.Garden centres sell blood meal, bone meal, worm castings , greensand, kelp meal.
I don't bother to amend my compost, it attracts to meny critters ive found..
Add lime to adjust p/h..
stay away from miracle grow products..

Start your seeds in pots under florescents indoor if poss or get a outdoor cold frame propagator.
Beware of Slugs !!!
Good luck..

cobo

Hello gh0stm0de & asad, thanks for the replies.

Asad: I will be doing a guerrilla grow, thinking of 3 or 4 different locations. I really don't want to have to be going to the sites to feed them to often for security reasons

gh0stm0de: Thanks Mate, Yes I think I will be digging Holes, may be 4 locations (Not putting all my ladies in one basket)
:biggrin: I have a bag of perlite and will ad some of it to the mix too, mix has nearly 30% perlite in it already.

Well I got my 3 bags delivered, I was going for Canna Terra Professional Plus but the shop had no stock, so I asked for a suggestion and I was told to go with 2 Plagron Lightmix & 1 Biobizz All-Mix, so that what I done. I know I will have to order another 3/5 bags before Im Finished, But its a start. , the plan is just to mix them together and add Clay Pebbles to the mix, I have used them in my Hydroponic grow, great for retaining water and they give the roots something to get a hold of.

I will add more of the all mix at the bottom of the whole so by the time the roots reach it , they will be well established and wont burn.

Is there anything else I should add to the soil before I plant my Ladies?

I have the seedling under a 200w ECO Light and will give them 10 to 14 days and see if the are ready to go out side.

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
have a search, some one else used plagrom last year.

maybe dig the hole and line it with bb/chicken pellets, by the time the roots have grown through the bagged soil wouldnt they be able to handle it then? top dress with kelp?

avoid the bord na mona stuff anyhow and keep an eye out for root grow, if your in dub middletons have it, and stock up on slug pellets, some big fuckers about.
goodluck

gh0stm0de

if you are looking for ammendments for the soil, you can add some mycos, compost, and or earth worm castings.

good call on spreadin em out I almost made a comment on that glad to see you have it in mind... one advantage of containers is you can move them if you feel compromised, but girls in the ground cant be moved of course.

don't trip if you dont get all the ammendments you wanted from the get go, you can add them through aerated compost tea (ACT)

so kelp, earth worm castings, compost, mycos etc can all be brewed and added later

cobo

if you are looking for ammendments for the soil, you can add some mycos, compost, and or earth worm castings.

good call on spreadin em out I almost made a comment on that glad to see you have it in mind... one advantage of containers is you can move them if you feel compromised, but girls in the ground cant be moved of course.

don't trip if you dont get all the ammendments you wanted from the get go, you can add them through aerated compost tea (ACT)

so kelp, earth worm castings, compost, mycos etc can all be brewed and added later

I have maybe 4 garden centres with in 5 minutes from me, do ordinary garden centres sell worm castings ?, I know the mix has them in it already, but should I add more ?

gh0stm0de

they are a standard product but I would not bother adding if your mixes contain them.

I would strongly recommend looking into aerated tea (compost or earth worm casting) as a cheap and effective means of supplementing your girls, and if you choose to make teas the EWCs would be a good buy.

cobo

Well out of the 12 seed 2 popped but havent come up in the jiffy pellet yet. 1 Easy Sativa and 1 Purple Power, I think I killed one of the Grapefruit in my dayly upkeep. Out of the 9 all seems to be going well, they are under a 200w ECO Light,

Im off out later scoutting for suitible sites for my ladies.

Numaya

everything looks good over here it seems :D ...

i would love to take advantage of ur irish showers :D

Wish u a Great Grow bro !!!!

cobo

Found a couple of nice spots to plant my ladies.

Going to dig a hole and Plant 3 C99 in one spot. Grapefruite somewhere else and so on. just decided to night to see if I can sprout my remaining seeds,really dont know why I didnt do them all together. Doh! Im short on time and I need them to be gone from here and loving their new home inside the next two weeks.

gh0stm0de

so far so good. keep it lit.. I''d give at LEAST 1 wk more from pic age before putting out, honestly more if you can handle... safety first though so don't stick your neck out, if they need to go out soon then out it is..

cobo

New Home

New Home

Some Quick updates.

I've had a busy week. Went scouting for locations first. Found a couple of spots. First spot is in a young forrest. I dug 2 holes in different spots and filled them in with soil. For the soil I used a mix of Plagron Lightmix & Biobizz All-Mix about 2 part Light and 1 part all mix. To this I added worm castings and clay pebble I had from my Hydroponic days. The first 7 lady's are well on their way and have a very good roots when I took them out of plastic cups so I dont think this mix will burn them.

New Home

cobo

A few Images of my lady's taken on the 17th June, These ladies have got bigger in the last 2 days and went to their new outdoor home this evening.

Grapefruit Another Grapefruit C99

VonBudí

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ
Veteran
1) if thats part of a rowan forest people may be around looking for dieback

2) if thats coillte land/affiliated look for the forest/district plant to find out the schedule (will dig up link later). if its private, inspections might still be regular these days

3) hunting in the area? those telephone line may give you some problem, again check coillte, google/FB local gun clubs, look for cases

4) c99 isnt the best again mold, maybe plant them away from the rest

5) all green and lush now , but are your plants going to stick out in a couple of months when all that bracken and grass dies?

what brand worm castings did you use?

cobo

1) if thats part of a rowan forest people may be around looking for dieback

2) if thats coillte land/affiliated look for the forest/district plant to find out the schedule (will dig up link later). if its private, inspections might still be regular these days

3) hunting in the area? those telephone line may give you some problem, again check coillte, google/FB local gun clubs, look for cases

4) c99 isnt the best again mold, maybe plant them away from the rest

5) all green and lush now , but are your plants going to stick out in a couple of months when all that bracken and grass dies?

what brand worm castings did you use?
Plagron Mega Worm (Plagron Wormcastings Mega Worm)

How are ya Vonbudi

To tell the truth not a lot of thought went in to this it was a last minute thing, just moved to wicklow in the last few months and its killing me to pay exorbitant rates for the shite weed that is going around, so I was looking around and decided that I should grow my own outdoors. So everything was a rush.

You made some very valet points which I wish I heard a month ago, I don't think its coillte land, but cant be sure , I think its private. My second spot is an old quarry covered in Gorse, I put a grass bag (170L) in the middle of a big gorse growth and Yes a few months time this will stick out, well if anyone is looking in this area, but it seems quite and ignored, You would have to go in to the quarry to find it and I don't think anyone would be up in there. I was going to put about 5 babies in it today , I also have up in same spot potato grow bags full with soil , but I'm going to move these to a better spot away from prying eyes,

I cant move grass bag because its full now with soil, so will just have to take a chance.

Browser

H8ters gonna h8
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Cobo,

Even if done in a rush, better to think ahead so that your hard work doesn't wash away with the rain.

Once those ladies start to grow, they'll need space. If you have more to plant in the ground, plant them further apart. You don't want your own plants to compete for sun and root space, the other native plants will do that.

No rabbit/deer in the area? chicken wire cages

Snails will eat your patch in 1 night, use snail pellets (responsibly). Not too close to your plants and not close to water sources.

Just some thoughts

:tiphat:

B

busterm

hello cobo, definatley have a crack at it. i did my first gg last year nw england and still had a result with the worst summer on record. i did frisian dew and purple maroc.
i had problems with slugs and a little bit of mold come oct but still worth a go.
crack on!! and good luck.

cobo

Well I went up the next day to plant the rest of my ladies. Changed my plans a bit. I was going to use a grass bag with 180L of soil but found a better spot and transfered the soil to potato grow bags. This Time I hid the Potato grow bags iin a field of Gorse, Near killed me lifting bags of sioil up steep hills (Vertical) to get to where I wanted but I have them well hidden in the gorse and I cut the legs off of my self getting them in there. In such a un accessable place I think they will be save from snooping eyes.

I havn't been up to check on them since but will have a look next week and take a few photos if they are all still there.