What's new

iPonic 600 controller

R.C. COLA

I am trying to get everything up and running. I seem to be a little confused on a few things. If anyone can shine some light it would be great! I have bought a few Sentinel's pxm-2 power expander relay things that run off 240volt power supply. They say that I can interconnect two of these together. Question is how? I would of thought that it would come with this interconnect cord but I have three of them and only cord I got was the trigger cord. I searched the shit out of this online with no luck. Best I can come up with is I have to use my second PXM-2 trigger cord as the interconnect cord? Plug jack end into the interconnect and then plug trigger plug end into one of the two universal type 240 volt receptacles. Does this sound right? I did notice that the trigger cable is rated for 100-240volt.

R.C. COLA

Can any of you Iponic users show and explain to me how you have yours setup. Are any of you using it to control multiple light banks?

I would love to get some ideas.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am trying to get everything up and running. I seem to be a little confused on a few things. If anyone can shine some light it would be great! I have bought a few Sentinel's pxm-2 power expander relay things that run off 240volt power supply. They say that I can interconnect two of these together. Question is how? I would of thought that it would come with this interconnect cord but I have three of them and only cord I got was the trigger cord. I searched the shit out of this online with no luck. Best I can come up with is I have to use my second PXM-2 trigger cord as the interconnect cord? Plug jack end into the interconnect and then plug trigger plug end into one of the two universal type 240 volt receptacles. Does this sound right? I did notice that the trigger cable is rated for 100-240volt.

I got curious and hunted down the directions, which aren't all that clear. It appears that the relays are 120v, so do not plug the subsequent units into the 240v of the preceding power unit - you will burn up the relay coils. I don't see any "interconnect cable" offered, but there are apparently jacks provided to daisy chain them from one unit to the next. If you cannot find a cable with the appropriate ends, then each trigger cable would need to be plugged into the timer or controller that you are using to turn the first unit on/off. If you want them all to operated at the same time, you could plug a power strip into your timer/controller, and then plug each of the trigger cords into that - the cumulative load of the relays would be negligible.

R.C. COLA

Rives thanks for trying to figure it out. I have re read the instructions 100x. They are not clear about this at all. The PMX I have is the one rated for 240volt. it's the PMX-2 it has a 15amp 240v 6-15 plug to supply the power, and also has (2) 240v universal receptacles that accept multiple configurations of 240v plugs such as Europe and Australia style. I would not just try plugging in the trigger cord into one of the receptacles or the 240v power supply into it without someone confirming that this is how it's done. It does sound right to me, but I also cant find anything about it on the web. Trying to call Sentinel is impossible. I have there 2700btu co2 generator and lost there regulator and power supply during a move, and needed replacements I still have not heard back form them. Luckily Autopilot uses the same type power adapter and regulator and sell replacements. I got great deals on there stuff that is the only reason I use it at all.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Their instructions are terrible - in one place they refer to the trigger signal as being "low voltage", which is virtually meaningless. It can be defined as anything under 1000v, 60v, or 30v depending on the agency in authority. They also say on the last page "120-volt trigger power supply connects to a controller like the EVC-2".

In the pictures, the connection looks like it might be an RJ-11 (modular phone jack). Is that the case? They look like they might be pretty nice equipment, particularly if you could get a good price on them.

http://grow-gps.com/wp-content/uploads/Docs/PXM-1-2-Instructions.pdf

R.C. COLA

Turns out that Sentinel does not even sell or provide this interconnect cable. I had a retailer get them on the phone and they said to pick up a cord at Radio Shack. They also mentioned that they had problems with this feature with voltage drop between devices over a long distance.

New Iponic 600 Firmware Version released!

Anybody know what changes are in this new firmware?

ZinksInk

Ill comment ont he PXM quickly but lets try and keep this thread for the iPonic unit. The PXM comes in two different configurations, The PXM-1 or the PXM-2 the 2 model is 240 volts, the 1 model is 120 volts. With this unit its simply plug and play, Plug in the main power to 120 or 240 depending on the model you have purchased. The PMX-1 should not have 220-240 plugged into it. Like wise if you bought the PMX-2 don't plug in 120 V equipment.

The trigger cable is 120 V, so regardless of if you buy the PMX-1 or PXM-2 you need to plug the trigger cable into 120v.

All the details are labeled here: http://grow-gps.com/wp-content/uploads/Docs/PXM-1-2-Instructions.pdf If this doesn't make sense you can send me a Private message and I can walk you through the setup...

If you have PXM-2 just make sure you don't plug the trigger cable into 240v Or your going to have trouble.

ZinksInk

I am not using the bank feature of the Iponic as my lights are on a rotator so I don't need banks. Ill check out the firmware update later today, Thanks!

ZinksInk

Iponic also features a couple double outlets so if you could always just plug in two PXM modules to one of these group outs and configure that to be the light control.

if more double outlets are needed or channels need to be "tied" together, you can literally just hardwire that shit in (18 gauge wire bridge both channel's + terminal) or do it in the menu. not many reasons to do so, but its there

R.C. COLA

Sorry for the PXM comments. I am just trying to get my IPONIC setup how I want. Interconnecting 2 of the PXM's would give me the option to power more equipment on one trigger cord, then saving an outlet on the Iponic for something else I needed controlled. Not real sure why or how I would use this other than maybe lights.
I have been working none stop and am getting my control board close to finished.
Anybody explain to me the light options on the IPONIC and the diffrence between them.

RespectGreen

Veteran
picture.php

Old shot of me working my agrowtek controller, they came out with a new one I'm outdated now...

Wanna try this iponic next time, seems just as sweet as this at about the same price I paid

Is this somewhat what the iponic is like by computer?

Since nobody posted I'll give my opinion. That looks way cooler than the iponic screen. I haven't directly interfaced my iponic with a pc though (don't know if possible). What is vpd?

Privateaero

ZinksInk

@RC, You could always just get a power strip, plug it into the trigger outlet, then plug both trigger cables into the strip... Thats what I do for my veg room.

R.C. COLA

I wanted to spread the word that if you are looking to buy an Iponic communication module that if you buy from eHydroponics you can get 16.00 off from the price if you enter this in there promotion coupon code "IPONIC" The total including U.P.S. shipping after discount is $94.39.

R.C. COLA

I was and still am real interested in the Agrowtek controllers. I wanted the newer models that can control multiple rooms, and your hydroponics nutrients/ph control, and monitor. I will probably buy this controller for my next grow setup, if not the SG SENORS setup if they ever are ready for retail. The concept of it looks amazing, but it's just talk as far as I am concerned. There still is no price's yet on these SG SENSORS, I have been on a pre-order list for there products since October and still have not heard anything about when pre-orders will start.
I still think for the price, and for the functions, I am happy with the Iponic. I think compared to the older Agrowtek Grow Control GC-C Climate Controller that does not include the co2 sensor for around the same price range. The Iponic is the winner.

RespectGreen

Veteran
Hell ya my man my boy just bought the Iponic, can't wait to see it..... I may buy one for giggles if I like his, setting up a new room myself.

The new agrowtech looks sweet though, priced out even with a special deal it was boo koo bucks.... But I'm flying to CO to see them next month... Gna try and put that cash in their face... Lol

I'm going to look in to SG sensors also, always down to try new stuff...

I'm leaning to the new agrowtech because of the dual zone capability like you myself.... I'll see one in action during 4/20 n let u guys know