What's new

Announcement Introducing Veteran members

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I noticed a mention of the Icmag archive, would this include the defunct breeders sub forums like for BOG and Breeders Retail? I was disappointed to see them not publicly available anymore.

Many members like myself have been visiting this website since it's inception but have come and gone under various usernames so don't qualify under the current requirements. I was even once a lifetime subscriber of the site. I think that's the title it used to be. I remember doing it for the privilege of using an animated gif for a profile avatar. Cash sent global express. I hope those archived forums don't stay behind a paywall forever. There is so much shared knowledge and information in them. Many blessings and much love
Yes, they all in there or they gonna be (we still sorting through the bits that got hidden over the years and freeing them to the archive).
You could try to get back your old account, if you know enaugh details. If you were a lifetime subscriber, it probably wasn't on this username.
The main reason those forums were hidden is not to be made available to veterans and subscribers only, but they were hidden because the respective vendors stopped paying for their subforums. Only 3 or so vendor subforums were public (by mistake, admins didn't manage to hide them when they should have) and we had to put them in same place with the others as to have them all in one place, as to have it tidy and not create confussion with having 2 diferent archives in diferent places. Most forums would have chosen to delete old content, especially when the cost to host it and keep available grows more and more, we decided to keep it available to our older contributing members and those that want to support our forum. Sorry if that is an inconvenience to you, but afterall we are trying to make money to keep this forum going and available for the future. We can't leave paid subforums available for years after they stopped paying, as we are running a bussiness not a charity. And we have a way of rewarding our hardcore users as well, with this. Hope you can understand.

Senior Grower

Chili Canna Gourmet
Hi,

I fully understand some of the rules regarding Veterans and Premium members. Now, € 120/yr. is not exactly very cheap for a retired old fart like me. I was about to pay anyway when I found out that I can't ask my own questions at Trading Post for a year.

So, in my case a Premium membership does not make much sense. Since I am specifically looking for 2 or 3 landraces at most over the coming year. (Well, 2 of those landraces are not really a problem since they seem to be available by reputable sellers elsewhere).

Now, if I am looking for the single one I can't find - I can't ask if somebody wants to trade/sell/whatever. If there is no thread by someone else, I am stuck. So, spending those € 120 as a newbie (at least here in this forum) does not make that much sense for me, does it?

I fully understand the reasons why you don't want newbies selling/offering their own stuff all over the place. And maybe they can be getting obnoxious asking for too many strains, too. But couldn't you let a newbie ask 2 or 3 questions in Trading Post during the first year? Because that is when you really need Trading Post - later on you know enough people you don't really have to rely on TP anyway.

As a relatively old guy I will be in my mid-70's when I become veteran and if the forum still exists then. So, I will have to go "Premium" until then, I suppose :)

Just my 2 cents.

Mr Jay

Veteran
I hear and understand that, but the buffer is for safety. No amount of money can prove someone a stable and safe person to trade with. Only time can do that. As someone who has put in many years here I would be uncomfortable with people being able to buy their way into the trade section, no ifs ands or butts. There are plenty of vendors with a multitude of landrace strains, if you want money to get you those strains, that is how I would go about it.

What are you trying to find?

Senior Grower

Chili Canna Gourmet
No amount of money can prove someone a stable and safe person to trade with. Only time can do that. As someone who has put in many years here I would be uncomfortable with people being able to buy their way into the trade section, no ifs ands or butts. There are plenty of vendors with a multitude of landrace strains, if you want money to get you those strains, that is how I would go about it.
You are right here. The problem for me is that my main search is for pure, non-hybrid Punto Rojo. There are 3 options outside of forums so far: tucultivo.net - from all I've read a rip-off place. TLT - I would rather not buy from them after all I have read in the thread about them. And then there is North Coast Genetics. I don't know - there are mixed reviews about them. Well, this will be my go-to should all else fail. And if I find a grow thread about their PB that convinces me. Just found out about those yesterday.

I do not want to rip somebody off. Actually, there are many ways that a veteran grower here can ask for an up front deposit/reimbursement from a newbie like me. Well, I don't want to go deeper into that because that would mean creating a problem with TOU. I just mentioned the above because a) you asked and b) it is a good example.

Trust is always a two-sided sword, right? I fully understand that I would be the one who can't be trusted so far, simply because I am new to this forum. Actually, I fully understand. I am a longtime member of several chili forums. There, we have similar problems. For a few years, I always offered free isolated seeds for people with at least a few meaningful posts. Guess what? Mostly newbies with 0 posts or less than a dozen crap posts wanted my seeds. After a while, I only sent them free of charge (I paid for p&h myself) to established forum members. All others would have to send me a return envelope with a stamp on it. Which immediately reduced most of those peoples' need for my seeds to less than 1/3 of takers. And some bitching why I would treat them differently from real forum members. So, I know what you are talking about too well.

Now, return postage is not good enough for cannabis seed, I know. But there should be ways how to reimburse people.

Even with chili seeds there are a lot of shady vendors. I understand that in this business here the percentage of bad apples is even higher. Which is why I would much prefer to not waste my limited growing space with bird seed from shady commercial vendors.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
YOU have been selected as our very special "checkmark" winner of the day.

Check back later to see if you check out the new check in station.

Payment can be made by cash or credit card... no checks accepted.

:)

Just kidding, I think it means you have been invited to the traders forum.

Mr Jay

Veteran
I just mentioned the above because a) you asked and b) it is a good example.
This is a confusing statement as I have not asked you any questions.

I get it, you are probably exactly who you say you are and your motives are probably exactly what you say they are. However, we have absolutely no way of knowing that for sure. Time and quality of posts and interaction over time is the only way to verify the safety of a member.

I too have been forced to at times take a gamble on seeds with companies I am not that familiar with. Unfortunately this is the price of a growing domestic seed market, and at times you just have to take the risk as a consumer and purchase seeds from seed banks. Read reviews and roll the dice.

Senior Grower

Chili Canna Gourmet
This is a confusing statement as I have not asked you any questions.
Refer to #344 last sentence :)
What are you trying to find?

Whatever. I already try to source my seeds from established commercial vendors. The only sad part is that there are quite a few bad apples among them. Which is not a huge problem if you are into hybrids - most of them are sold by at least one reputable company. I don't mind paying a little more to a reputable seller like Dutch Passion, Sensi Seeds, CSI Humboldt or so instead of some shady outfit.

When it gets to landraces, the story is different. That is why I elaborated on the Punto Rojo.