What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

International Canna'Community Cookbook Meats/Main Dishes

R

Ronley

Rice.

Rice.

I love rice,
which is really very very very simple to make.
This method works every time.
I use white Basmati rice, which I think is the most tastiest of all the rice'es.

1 cup of Basmati Rice.
3 tablespoons of oil.
2 cups of boiling water
1 teaspoon salt

Boil a full kettle of water.
Pour the rice into a strainer and wash the rice through with half of the boiling water. (or enough boiling water to wash through)

Heat up the oil in a pot, add the wet rice to the oil and stir for a few seconds.
Pour 2 cups of boiling water over the rice and stir, add 1 teaspoon salt,
bring to boil and reduce heat. Cover pot,
Cook until all the water has evaporate which is about 10 -15 min. turn of heat, and leave for a few minutes before serving.

I usually add frozen vegtables when adding the boiling water to the rice and Then we have Rice with cooked vegtable.

Or add a napolitana/salsa/pitza sauce (sauce made from tomatoes and onions, garlic, mushrooms, etc- that is made seperately.)
Topped with big chunks of fetta cheese.

Rice is a really so very simple. I just dont understand how anyone can cook it badly.

PS: Always use twice the amount of boiling water to the amount of rice being used.

Last edited:

Nikijad4210

Veteran
I made an improvised tuna casserole tonight.

First off, make sure you have a casserole dish big enough for all of this!

1 lb box of Elbow Macaroni (or a pasta of your preferance)
2 cans of Green Beans, drained
2 cans of Carrots, drained
2 cans of Creamed Corn to substitute for a cream base
1 can of Peas, drained
4 cans of tuna, drained

I cooked the macaroni in a large pot, drained it & set it aside.
I mixed the tuna, green beans, peas, carrots & creamed corn in the large pot.
I mixed in several spices/seasonings to taste as follows:

Lemon Pepper seasoning to taste
White Pepper to taste
Garlic Salt to taste
Sage to taste
Bay leaf peices, equivilant of 1 whole leaf
A couple of shakes of cajun seasoning

I mixed that up well, and mixed in the macaroni.

I set the oven on 350*F to preheat.

I spooned the mix into a large casserole dish, and covered with the lid.

For 30 minutes, I allowed the mixture to warm up, while remaining moist.

After 30 minutes, I removed the lid, and allowed the top layer to get a bit crunchy for another 30 minutes.

Allow to cool, and dig in!

And it actually isn't bad at all! I'm on bowl #2 :D

G

Cheese & Vegetable Lasgna

Cheese & Vegetable Lasgna

2 C (1 lb) Ricotta cheese
1/4 C chopped fresh parsley
1/4 C chopped fresh green onion
1/4 C parmesan cheese
1 Egg
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Cloves garlic (minced)
1 Large onion, chopped
1 1/2 C zucchini
2 C sliced mushrooms
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Freshly ground pepper to taste
2 (26oz) tomato sauce (any flavor)
1lb lasagna noodles
2 C (1/2lb) shredded mozzarella cheese
1 C (1/4lb) shredded cheddar cheese

Combine ricotta cheese, with parsley, green onion, parmesan and egg.
In saucepan, saute garlic and onion in oil until soft
Add zucchnini, mushrooms, basil, oregano, and pepper.
Stir, cook until tender crisp
Add 2 cups tomato sauce
Simmer 5 minutes
Cook lasgna noodles according to pkg directions
When noodles are almost fully cooked, drain, immerse in cold water and drain again.
To assemble, pour 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce on bottom of a greased 9X13 baking dish
Lay a flat layer of lasagna noodles over sauce
Top with half tomato vegetable mixture and sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese
Repeat with another flat layer of lasagna noodles, remaining tomato vegetable mixture and 1 cup mozzarella cheese
Top remaining lasagna noodles, 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce and shredded cheddar cheese
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until sauce bubbles
Makes 8 servings.

I Used To Grow

i have the munches so hardcore...lol;...I need to whip up one of my tasty Jalapeno..cheddar..bacon burgers and shit..man..anyone want one..lol; 0 :lurk:

BirdDawg

Genkisan:
Would love your recipe for "Braised Venison and Mushrooms in Morel Cream Sauce" as I have a freezer full of venison and European Red Deer at the moment! Thanks!
Bird

Dan42nepa

Brain Sandwiches

Brain Sandwiches

I saw a show this weekend where apparently brain sandwiches are popular in the midwest. They are breaded and fried and served on rolls.. Anyone ever had one?

Dan

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dan...I havent heard of a brain sandwich, thank goodness!!, and I surley havent tried one!! ...doesnt sound very appetizing to me, yuck , ick and all those type words :D

BirdDawg

I've lived in various parts of the midwest all my life, and never even HEARD of a brain sandwich? Ewwww...shudder to think....

Dan42nepa

It was on the food network, an alton brown show where he travels around the country. I think it was in indiana. Oh it looked disgusting... very thick on the roll but breaded and fried light brown.

R

Ronley

Chicken Schnitzel- baked

Chicken Schnitzel- baked

The Easiest MOST delicious Chicken Scnitzel that is BAKED and not fried.
Making it much more healthier and delicious, as I dont like fried foods.

3 tablespoons of Mayonaise,
1 tablespoon Soy sauce,
Crushed Garlic,
Seasoned Bread crumbs. (Or season your own with salt, pepper, paprika, oraganum, seasame seeds, etc)

Chicken Breasts - or Schnitzels.

Dip the schnitzels into the seasoned mayonaise, then coat with the bread crumbs

Place on large flat pyrex dish.

Bake in the oven at 215 degrees Celcious, for 15 - 20 min.
Make sure that you dont over cook them as they can dry out.

They cook beautifully, even crispy on the outside, tast so much better then fried,
Enjoy.

G

Dan42nepa said:
I saw a show this weekend where apparently brain sandwiches are popular in the midwest. They are breaded and fried and served on rolls.. Anyone ever had one?

Dan
Not as a sandwich but with eggs. Like chittlin's and grits together not as chewy as the "Shittlin's", So if you like chittlin's I guess, I don't. Everybody tells me "they" didn't cook them right, I've learned nobody knows how to cook chittlin's right.

BirdDawg

My husband asked that I make a batch of "Artichoke Appetizer" to take down the one of his bud's houses for the annual Super Bowl insanity...Not being a fan, I'd just as soon stay home, toke and find other things to do, but here's the resipe in case anoyone else is looking for an easy, delicious cracker spread.

8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
12 oz jar (two 6's work, too) marinated artichoke hearts
4 beaten eggs
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 Tbs parsley
pinch of Oregano
2 dashes Tabasco

Drain marinade from artichokes into skillet. Saute onions in marinade until onions are soft and most of the marinade has evaporated. Let cool slightly. Chop up the artichoke hearts. Add cheeses, parsley, oregano and tabasco to onion/marinade mixture. Mix well then add eggs. Transfer to a baking dish and place in 350 oven for 40 minutes. Serve hot.

Last edited:

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yea birddawg, that sounds great!! and just in time for the "big game" hehe thanks going to have to try that one!! even tho we dont get the game this year, oh well :)

R

Ronley

That Artichoke appertiser sounds brilliantly delicious and I will serve it the next time that I am hosting the Book Club.

Nikijad4210

Veteran
I baked pork chops tonight that actually came out so freakin' tender, they slid off the bone, & could be easily cut with a fork! Yeah, I'm patting myself on the back for that one, I can't cook for shit :biglaugh:

Baked Breaded Pork Chops

Servings: 6

6 pork chops, boned or boneless
2 cups of flour
2 cups of bread crumbs or finely crushed saltine crackers
6 eggs
1/8 cup of milk (or 1/8 cup of water if milk isn't an option)
2 tablespoons of any seasoning mix
3 seperate bowls

Preheat the oven to 350*F
Very lightly grease pan(s) to be used with a light oil, or butter
Fill the pans with just enough water to cover the bottom---1/4 to 1/3 cup ought to do it

Beat the eggs & milk/water in one bowl, set aside

Mix the bread crumbs/crushed crackers with your seasoning well in another bowl, set aside.

Put your flour in another bowl

Coat each pork chop in flour, shaking off the excess
Dredge each pork chop through the egg mixture
Dredge each pork chop through the bread crumbs/crushed saltines, coat each chop as best as possible.

Place in pan(s)

Cook on 350*F for 40 minutes

After 40 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 325*F, and continue cooking for 20 more minutes.

If someone can figure out how to make biscuts with the remaining flour, crumbs/crackers & eggs, let me know---I tried to make some, in effort to not waste what was left, and it didn't work. I screwed up somewhere, and they turned out hard as a rock on the exterior, but soft, yet very thick on the interior.

By the way, I used an Acadian seasoning mix, from this place:
http://www.mysecretpantry.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CAR060
Fuckin' delicious blend, thank god for sample packets, I'll be ordering this stuff!

G

anybody ever try tubesteak?
if your interested on tasting my world famous tubesteak,
pm me ;)

G

Tubesteak Boogie

Tubesteak Boogie

thorodee said:
anybody ever try tubesteak?
if your interested on tasting my world famous tubesteak,
pm me ;)

I'll stick with mine own...

Rabbit sausage in kraut and fried Apples with raisins, dried Cranberries and pecans...

[edit]
Sorry my Sausages are a not for the public, passed down from many generations...
I tell ya, The kraut does have caraway seeds in it, of course...
[/edit]

Last edited:
G

Biscuits take a feel, not a recipe...

Biscuits take a feel, not a recipe...

Nikijad4210 said:
I baked pork chops tonight that actually came out so freakin' tender, they slid off the bone, & could be easily cut with a fork! Yeah, I'm patting myself on the back for that one, I can't cook for shit :biglaugh:

If someone can figure out how to make biscuts with the remaining flour, crumbs/crackers & eggs, let me know---I tried to make some, in effort to not waste what was left, and it didn't work. I screwed up somewhere, and they turned out hard as a rock on the exterior, but soft, yet very thick on the interior.

By the way, I used an Acadian seasoning mix, from this place:
http://www.mysecretpantry.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CAR060
Fuckin' delicious blend, thank god for sample packets, I'll be ordering this stuff!

Sound like they need "fat", try adding some and DON'T over mix when making them. The dough should feel light and fluffy if not you'll end up with a rock. For fat use any solid one that you like Butter or Mayonnaise works best IMHO.
The Mayonnaise biscuit is the easiest biscuit to make for a noob, just use it inplace of the "fat" in your biscuit recipe (around 1-2TBS per cup, can't find my recipe). Using this you'll get the "feel" of what a good dough should be. Old trick, heat your oven to like 450-500 then put in your biscuits turn oven down too 375-400. That way the biscuit cooks evenly.

When I find my recipe I'll post it, I haven't used it for many years now. I make biscuits like my Granny now, just in a bowl of Self-raise flour, a little of this, a little of that. 1/4C fat and 1C milk makes about a dozen biscuits... just make a hole in a five pound bowl of Self-raise flour, cut in your fat by pulling alittle flour from the sides with a fork, add milk and cut that in the same way untill light and fluffy. Put out on a floured board pat out, cut, put in a pan, sides touching and bake...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts