What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Interesting Emerald Cup Winners

CaptainDankness

I’ve never worked for Molecular Farms. I did work for a private research company in Cali for a few years, overseeing breeding and some other projects. Some of the folks from molecular farms were clients of the company I worked for.

I havent worked with that group in some years. As far as the patents go - you should ask those involved with them. Despite repeated claims and speculation by those ignorant to the details, I was not involved in any patents.

Patents clearly detail the names of those related, and my name is nowhere on any patent docs - I’ve never filed a patent in my life.

To the single posters, funny that you come here just to start discussion and take pot shots at people doing good work and making improvements.

Molecular Farms grows dank herb; the judges agreed en masse. Sorry you have such a hate on that you can’t appreciate dank flowers when they get some recognition from the community.
The CBD/CBDV Cultivar is something totally unique on the market and patients will benefit from it. How that’s a bad thing, I don’t know....
-Chimera
So you really think Molecular Farms grows and breeds better herb than you? I certainly have not heard of any land slide cup victories from your genetics.

Also you mentioned that they are clients of a company you worked for so is there a way to buy seeds from this company? Be nice to see the genetics in action first hand that can win a cup by a landslide.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Maybe they deserved to win, but I still don't see a landslide in the weed world unless you have some gm crop.

Are they genetically engineered how is that kind of quality gap even achieved?

I've told people this was coming years ago. I understand it. This isn't GMO cannabis.

This is Molecular Breeding. Marker Assisted Selection. Quantitative Breeding.

This is science. This is accomplishing in 5-6 years what used to take 20.

I'd love to have access to such tools.

The only way to stop companies like this from beating us is to start pooling our resources and start forming true Co-Op, Inc. efforts to afford access to the same tools.

Look at the Phylos Galaxy and look how much of the gene pool is clustered and interbred. Look how few outliers exist. Look how few genetics have zero currently known siblings. I've identified two plants I really want now, that before the galaxy, I had completely dismissed.

Knowledge is power. I DO NOT support these individuals attempts at Utility Patents or these companies. However, I understand what they are doing, how it results in intentionally designed unique cultivars, and why this could warrant such patents.

I respect the science and what they are doing. It's just in the wrong hands.

dank.Frank

stim

fake terps burn your throat + no taste = a loss in the cup. 15% terps are unheard of. The emerald triangle is not fake at all and Durban tastes like cherry not buku's fake fruit juice. Growers like aficionado aren't fake to me at all. What strains are you running and why don't you enter a smaller cup then? What's your deal???

... From any pot shop. (shit forum software). You cannot even smell 3% if you run a grow. Terpenes are just undertones. Weed smells like weed acetates, with terpene undertones. But the "future of Cannabis" is based on test tubes not organics,and that agenda is guided by a market currently being forged by Insys synth cannabinoids in perfume solvent e-joints. I'm so glad Chamera filled us in that they use natural inputs. What an odd detail to add. Thats the kid screaming "i didnt do it!" before they're even busted.

I've never been to a Cannabis event but after 20 years I can assume the Emerald Cup is a sellout event doing what the rest of the industry is doing: selling mediocre or even artificially "enhanced" weed as top shelf products, so people will buy the Phillip Morris, GW mersh down the road, with its lab thc and fake lemon terps.

I've seen several cup winners that wouldn't sell in my hood. The best growers don't attend cups. 15% terps, where the weed stops smelling like weed, but still smells like weed. That was the future 10 years ago? Not weed that smells like one single bottled store-bought note and tastes like bottled store bought terps. Bringing good weed out of the closets? Only the DEA been doing that. While the industry pretends weed should smell like cheap single bottled notes, and not like weed at all. Obvious reasons. The future is clean. Aint no cheapo skunk perfume. As soon as there is: Marlboro Black n Whites. Hell GW even has Skunk but how can they afford to grow organics on a massive scale? They cant, so phenols are discredited and stupid water soluble terpenes are pushed as the goal.

From an old outside perspective I dont even recognize weed anymore. 1k lbs smelling like necco wafers, thats what the dispos want. Offer to pay 3k for the best weed around and it all still smells like necco chocolate reggie bullshit.. No wonder no one grows good weed. Dispensaries selling wax for 20 bucks all day, straight reclaim. I had no problem paying 100 a gram for real wax 5 years ago. Where is it today? Oh it's only 25 a gram, and it's more legal now, so i should be happy? God damn, cheapness and ignorance and fake ass shit are the future of weed. I bet i could win a cup with Loran and literal perfume products on some M39. The last cup I heard about, some basic looking Durban Poison won, and it smelled like fake ass fruit juice for fucks sake.

Exposure to gimmick weed has ruined weed standards for anyone willing to have a brain about what they are smoking. The average paying consumer does not care about quality. The average Cannabis judge is not qualified. Dont pay attention to these cups. Its more like the best of the worst from what I've seen.

CaptainDankness

I've told people this was coming years ago. I understand it. This isn't GMO cannabis.

The only way to stop companies like this from beating us is to start pooling our resources and start forming true Co-Op, Inc. efforts to afford access to the same tools.

Look at the Phylos Galaxy and look how much of the gene pool is clustered and interbred. Look how few outliers exist. Look how few genetics have zero currently known siblings. I've identified two plants I really want now, that before the galaxy, I had completely dismissed.

Knowledge is power. I DO NOT support these individuals attempts at Utility Patents or these companies. However, I understand what they are doing, how it results in intentionally designed unique cultivars, and why this could warrant such patents.

dank.Frank
Yeah, pretty much the science was inevitable but the patents are pure bullshit. Not much we can do about it sure we can vote for a leader but I never voted for the wars and corporations to fuck us over.

Of course I'm sure a lot of cannabis breeders would have loved to work with these billionaire corporations. All the bullshit between Arjan and Shantibaba, Nevil and Sam of course Robert Clarke talking about patents in his book from the 80's.

Not much you can do, I love weed the way it is, but GMO cannabis will probably be a little better than any of us can produce, not many consumers give a fuck or Walmart wouldn't be in every big town around me.

Of course we let Walmart take over everything we won't have money, so we will be forced into a communist nation, living on the scraps of corporate greed....

Revolution, is my name!!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_XI1DD_vJuY

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Many thanks for the information Chimera, it never ceases to surprise me the nonsense that gets spouted when information contrary to people's wishes and views is posted.

What these people and others are up to is going to blow away our silly world of amateur bedroom breeding and this is just the start of the hissy fit epoch where this is exposed and causes trouble.

weedtoker

Veteran
When gene hauled two years in a row or something like that people complained... Either something is rigged, ooorr you just need to up your game plain and simple. Judging seems to be done with more time than other cups, has judges across the board, from plain stoner reviewers to industry producers. Maybe I'm high (not Myr/Pin tough) but isn't It just comprehensible? Plus, think it will start to be more common that if something that's really novelty/different than regional preference, or known previous preference, that it stands out and actually takes on the majority, even for those that a month after maybe be exhausted by it. Let's face truths and embrace them maybe, as they seem to be consensual by peers. Cannabis in a flower is a cacophony of smells and flavours because of terpenes (and a bit by other things it seems?), terpenes modulate cannabs, so they were actually novelty profiles (from links shown, SClabs) on most of the heads/brains there judging. Also showing that you can have "moderate high" levels oh delta-9, not a 30% sample, but does show the demand for a nice cannab by weight ratio. If the future is "wine" and not only chain-smokers, you'll probably see in a not so distant future (oh wait, it's already been done and not even marker assisted) varieties with around equal cannabs to terps ratio, and it's not only 3% dear fear mongers.

Some obvious general recipe's for failure in future cups, not only EC include:
- Bring last years cut that won, or what's hot in the market, brings nothing new to table and we as a culture "are on the verge of getting on" so normal people want more and new, it's Human desire...
- Bring a 10-20 year something clone to the area that already knows it/smokes it everyday, you have another nice recipe to not win most of the times. :comfort:

Some people may think I'm trying to bash you folks...You can put me on neg rep at your will, magic of the interwebz, everyone can have their piece! :biggrin:

And a christmas wake-up call, in case the other weekend didn't already do that for most, take it as ya want again... Cali and some of the West Coast (not all of ya of course) needs to wake up and step out of there bubble, maybe travel trough their heritage cannabis country, maybe even Europe, or traditional hash countries to see then if ya still think you're the only tits bouncing. You're a nice part of this History, REALLY, but even Bordeaux and France now that they don't always have the best vintages. Nature and nice hash is nice for bringing ego's down mmmééénn.:dance013:

I applaud Chim for taking the heat on something he seems to believe, whether he has or not anything to do with it, maybe that's the meaning of being bought/sell out nowadays, defending your point of view instead of just eating it from someone else's?

Onward, forward fellows :huggg:
Cheers

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not much we can do about it sure we can vote for a leader but I never voted for the wars and corporations to fuck us over.

This is what happens when people vote for REGULATION instead of LEGALIZATION.

Any expectation of any "leader" fixing anything is fallacious. Be the change you want to see, even if this means overgrowing "legalization" until the plant is TRULY free.

dank.Frank

CaptainDankness

Any expectation of any "leader" fixing anything is fallacious. Be the change you want to see, even if this means overgrowing "legalization" until the plant is TRULY free.

dank.Frank

For real, I don't care if I have to give all my weed away for free, I'm not going to let the corporations run us all out of the industry. I give most of the weed I grow out for free as is and the weed I sell is cheaper than you can get in California for the most part.

With semi legalization I will be growing a hell of a lot more weed. I may not be able to beat GMO/CRISPR weed but my weed is pretty damn good I don't really see a need for better weed than already available organically. I used to be happy with somewhat decent brick weed that really wasn't good but the seeds do produce some nice weed.

I've never actually lab tested my weed but I'm sure I've had plants with 15% THC that I preferred over 20+% THC. Of course without lab testing I don't know for sure, can't wait until lab testing comes to New England. Might even be nice to start up a testing lab preferably southern NH low taxes and the center of New England of course they only have medical marijuana in NH but that's an untouched market.

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
I’ve never worked for Molecular Farms. I did work for a private research company in Cali for a few years, overseeing breeding and some other projects. Some of the folks from molecular farms were clients of the company I worked for.

I havent worked with that group in some years. As far as the patents go - you should ask those involved with them. Despite repeated claims and speculation by those ignorant to the details, I was not involved in any patents.

Patents clearly detail the names of those related, and my name is nowhere on any patent docs - I’ve never filed a patent in my life.

To the single posters, funny that you come here just to start discussion and take pot shots at people doing good work and making improvements.

Molecular Farms grows dank herb; the judges agreed en masse. Sorry you have such a hate on that you can’t appreciate dank flowers when they get some recognition from the community.
The CBD/CBDV Cultivar is something totally unique on the market and patients will benefit from it. How that’s a bad thing, I don’t know....
-Chimera

I don't think it was fixed so to say, influenced maybe .. who cares , the whole patent thing is BS , and you have quite a clever way of justifying your connections lol. whaaaaat eveeerrrr

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran

dank.Frank

off topic response but relevant;
to be fair many of us VOTED for LEGALIZATION but the will of voters has been usurped by over-regulation on behalf of legislators....
just arguing syntax, but to be fair peeps didn't WANT this form of over-regulation it was imposed upon us by legislators unwilling to allow true legalization to happen

dank.Frank

This type of breeding is definitely interesting. Using a somewhat traditional type of breeding assisted with genomics and a good lab is pretty bad ass. I would love to work on a project that these techs were being utilized for. The possibilities are mind boggling...

Last edited:

zif

Veteran
Has anyone sampled the winner? Or know of any source with first-hand accounts?

Whatever their methods, crushing it so hard at the Emerald Cup certainly has my attention!

The Joker1

Nah.

Molecular Farms is probably the most sophisticated cultivator in the state; the reason they won the cup is because they brought the most unique cultivars, grown by talented and skilled growers with love and sustainable practices, using natural inputs to amplify the best characteristics of the genetics.

When you put science behind the plant, you get results.

I saw all their samples; their flowers were dank, tasty, and well grown - under the Cali sun.

Don't hate them, celebrate them. This is a peek into the window of what the cannabis of the future will look like. High cannabinoid content, high terp content (3% by weight), dank af.

#182 - Lemon Crush

"...And by a HUGE landslide #182, like, not even close... like quadruple the scores of anyone else.... Their score was 121, and the next closest one was 46."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=2USdl3jxsPg

Right on. You know when the paint roller came out, the painters freaked out because it took so much skill to paint walls with a brush. When the paint sprayer came out, the unions fought it because it would make it easier to paint than a roller. People have a hard time accepting that there may be a better way to do something, especially if it is an innovation by someone much smarter and more capable than they are.

I'm looking forward to it. I will always grow my own from clone or seed though. I think the day is coming when only those who horded regular seed will be able to make their own.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Has anyone sampled the winner? Or know of any source with first-hand accounts?

Whatever their methods, crushing it so hard at the Emerald Cup certainly has my attention!
First hand accounts, from people who complain like I do about the scene being mostly garbage quality. That's what I want to read. Everything is a matter of perception, and when your perception has never sampled extreme quality cannabis, it's rather skewed.
:tiphat:

zif

Veteran
Do they post the judging data anywhere? It would be a very nice compliment to the analytical results.

The winner’s numbers look good, but don’t necessarily scream 3x standout to me. Test results only go so far, of course....