What's new

Inline Fan Installation

I

Inspired333

Hey everyone,

Just a quick question; How do you guys go about hanging, say, an 8" inline fan weighing about 10-12Lbs (guess, maybe more? hah) by yourself?
I'm trying to hold the 12Lb fan up against the ceiling with one hand, then take a screw from my lips where I have to hold them - somehow put it on the bit on my (5Lb) cordless drill that's in my other hand - and be able to drill through one of the four holes in the fan bracket. Then I have to repeat that 3 more times!! While holding the fan up against the ceiling, flush, the entire time!

Thanks for any suggestion. I feel like tossing this boat anchor out the window. Hah :biggrin:

I

Inspired333

mount two hooks on your ceiling and hang the fan from a bungee cord. Easier, and it stops all the vibration noises.

Thanks for the reply. I'm limited vertically, space wise. Which is why I didn't use that method. Otherwise I'd love to, especially cause of the noise dampening.

Thank again though :)

edit: I may give it a second look. But I duno about space.

Last edited:

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Use straps to hold the fan in place while you screw them down..
If not on a beam. Screw the straps in place ..

2 stoned cents. ...

Peace...

I

Inspired333

Great idea(s) guys, thanks.
What I came up with is kinda a combo of both.
I think the problem is I'm sober.

Cheers

TheCleanGame

Veteran
Try a 60lb carbon scrubber by yourself. lol

The 6" valueline fan has removable mounts... which I stupidly didn't remove. Nearly killed myself holding up a 6" fan with one hand and trying to use a drill with a phillips screw bit to put in a screw with the other hand.

The ridiculous things we do sober... eh? lol

Keep it Clean! :D

I

Inspired333

Lol, that's pretty funny.
I had a 8" scrubber n that's heavy enough. but your removeable note gives me an Idea that they should make a system where you drill in/"mount" the mount itself and then the fan has a secure snap-in or lock-in type of deal where you could just "click" it into the mount after.

Cool.
You too bro.

I

Inspired333

Car jack on top of a ladder worked for me

dude..what? Lol :p

eye hooks and heaty duty zipties... similar to bungee on noise reduction and wont limit you vertically

nice, I have lots of zip ties, never thought to use'em for this use. I bet they would be pretty good for noise reduction. Good Idea.

I attached a small piece of 3/8" (approx) wood to the ceiling and then two strong hooks. Then I wrapped/stretched some automotive bungie straps (the black ones) around the permanently affixed mounting brackets on the fan and strained to connect the s-hook on one end of the strap to it's other s-hook; nice and tight. I hung the fan on either 'strong hook' by the actual rubber bungie part of the bungie strap(s).
It's working good and it's damn silent.

Thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Latest posts