What's new

Infused Maltodextrin for powder hot chocolate mix

gmo

Veteran
Whoa!

My wife really enjoys a hot chocolate powder mix that we get at the dispensary. The product is 100mg/bottle and there are 2 servings per bottle (50mg/each). It's a good product, but gets expensive @ $14 each. She drinks a cup of it 3-4 night's a week to help her sleep.

I tasked myself with recreating it and I think I nailed it. We tried it last night and it is definitely potent and a very quality replacement!

20g decarboxylated flower
2tbsp sunflower lecithin
8oz coconut oil (liquid)
4 cups maltodextrin
64 packs hot chocolate powder mix

Start by decarbing flower for 30 minutes at 250f.
Add decarbed flower, sunflower lecithin and coconut oil to magical butter machine for a 2hr cycle at 160f
Strain flower out of oil
Add 8oz oil to 4 cups of maltodextrin and whisk to combine
Sift mixture through a flour sifter and add to 64 packs of hot chocolate powder. Whisk thoroughly to combine.
Store in jars.

My math, assuming 20% starting potency:
20g x 200mg = 4000mg
Assume 15% loss = 3400mg
16tbsp in 8 ounces of oil = 212.5mg/TBSP
1TBSP oil to 4TBSP maltodextrin = 53.125mg/TBSP maltodextrin
4cups maltodextrin = 64 TBSP
1TBSP infused maltodexetrin to 1 packet hot chocolate mix = 53.125mg strength per serving

The maltodextrin is flavorless and should be able to be added to anything. It imparted 0 taste/texture to the final hot chocolate mix. This is probably my favorite edible that I've ever made!

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
From a health standpoint, the only thing healthy in it is the decarbed flower. Sounds delicious though. (Edit: Ok, so a lot of 'O' blood types have no issues with coconut like other blood types do. lol)

Reactions: gmo

moose eater

Looks tasty and potentially very handy for bush trips.

Doesn't the maltodextrin increase the sweetness of the sugar that's already in the hot cocoa mix packets?

Reactions: gmo