What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Infested with ants!!

K

ka0tik_kreati0n

I guess this goes in the garden section, however the ants are INSIDE here & I mean I cant even go to the bathroom without them eating me alive..
ants are pests...I need a safe way to get rid of them without using ant spray around my kid....any of you know any homemade cures for these little pests? I heard about mixing sugar with boric acid and placing them around the outside of the house.. but is there anything I would have here readily available seeing as its 4 am and no stores are open?

J

JackTheGrower

I guess this goes in the garden section, however the ants are INSIDE here & I mean I cant even go to the bathroom without them eating me alive..
ants are pests...I need a safe way to get rid of them without using ant spray around my kid....any of you know any homemade cures for these little pests? I heard about mixing sugar with boric acid and placing them around the outside of the house.. but is there anything I would have here readily available seeing as its 4 am and no stores are open?

Lot's of things..

Have a google .. You are not alone.. They are really bad this year in California..

If I read the ( ant ) signs right it will be a early, cold winter but not necessarily a wet one. Ants tell us a lot of things. But I digress..

I just ordered some ( organic ) poison for the sweet ants.. I hate to do that so I am hoping I can persuade them once again to stay out of the garden.

I will put up with them in the honey but not the garden..

PM me if I you need more "organic" and safer ways to control them.. That's all I will use is safe organic stuff.

Oh and windex kills them and is fairly safe around children in case you need some non-toxic help now.

Jack

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
Grant's ant stakes work great if you don't have pets that will pick them up and chew on them. The poison is encapsulated entirely in metal except for a small hole in the top. The ants carry the bait back to the nest where the queen and other feed off it, killing them off within a week. I have several in my garden(no ants there) and 2 in the house(my dog ignores them but she's old) no ants anywhere and I hate those little buggers with a passion so I'm happy.

Storm Crow

Veteran
Old hippie trick! White mint-flavored toothpaste will stop them from entering. Find where they are coming in and seal the holes with toothpaste. The white stuff in it is abrasive to their jaws. They hate mint flavor and the detergent in the toothpaste upsets their little tummies! They WILL NOT eat through it! Even after it dries, they will not eat through toothpaste.

Granny

reachtdk

antworks2.jpg

antworks.jpg

illuminator.jpg

^get a few of these. that gel substance has upped the ants live expectancy by atleast 6 months. pretty neat imo.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Old Injun recipe! We used to have a piss ant problem too! Everywhere you looked, there they were.

Solved in about 30 days by just feeding them instead of trying to kill them.

I fed them a mixture of:

1/3 rd bread yeast
1/3 rd powdered sugar
1/3rd 20 Mule Team Boroxo

Mix it up, put it out, and bon appetite!

I soon found ants getting scarcer and now seldom see them in the house. They take the mixture to their nest, all eat it, and it kills them dead, without using chemicals pernicious to humans and pets.

GW

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The following is NOT organic!

Borax powder and icing sugar (think you call it confectioners sugar in US),, the fine stuff,, mix it up with water... place on a card,, ants take it back to their den,, queen eats it all,, problem solved!

PLEASE always keep ANY poisons AWAY from PETS and CHILDREN!!!!!

haze crazy

Lots of ants will die when they eat artificial sweetener. It's the one in the little pink package. I forget the name. Also, by adding molasses to your watering can you will repel those pesky critters... and reduce the aphid population to boot!

maryjohn

Veteran
Boric acid aka borax is completely natural and safe, and just fine for the organic household or garden. It's simply crushed up mineral mined in the desert.

For sweet ants mix with sugar syrup or honey
for protein ants use it mixed with peanut butter.

Just about everything mentioned in this thread so far is boric acid.

D

djam

I like grants around the house alslo . Works great at keeping the colonies controlled . Doest soapy water spray also work to kill a bunch non toxic . Good luck killing those little workers lol
my buddy just had is house sprayed and the ants still came back .

H

highsteppa

Draxx works well it is in a syringe and has boric acid, for sweet or oil loving ants and I think they make a double barrel one for both.

D

djam

Grant's is probably just boric acid.

you can get it as a powder in the hardware store.
actually the Active Ingredient is : 1.0% Hydramethylnon
whatever the heck that is .
borax is great . i need some

maryjohn

Veteran
good thing I said "probably"! left myself some cover...

so there you have it, an ant poison that is not boric acid: grant's.

Guaranteed to work as well as boric acid!

maryjohn

Veteran
Lots of ants will die when they eat artificial sweetener. It's the one in the little pink package. I forget the name. Also, by adding molasses to your watering can you will repel those pesky critters... and reduce the aphid population to boot!

then explain the ants all over my molasses a couple months ago?

h.h.

Veteran
I just take my hand and rub them out. It they're in the soil or my compost, I consider myself lucky. Supposedly a good source of lactoB and other goodies the first yogurt, rummer is was made from ant hill dirt and larvae.

Latest posts

Latest posts