What's new

Industrial Grow?

dusto2k3

Can anyone shed some light on this one for me.

I am looking to expand to a larger grow. I have this great idea of renting a semi-industrial space and blow it out.

What are some of the questions or suggestions that need to be thought about before starting something like this.

I figure after I/Partner would be there mostly at night. Of course all the proper equipment would be used filters/fans/etc.

What do I need to ask myself before I proceed? I'm hoping some on this greaqt forum have some similar experience. Location I'm in would be socal.

dusto2k3

sounds like a recipe for disaster, one who's ready to set up an op like this, doesn't have to ask how to do it.

It's a pretty easy plan, but I'm hoping someone who has done it can shed light on little innuendos that you only come across after experience. I don't really need to get into the technicalities. those are assumed. Thanks for your input though.

I have helped set up a few industrial grow ops. Step one: Buy three electric kilns (used off craigs list). Have the power company inspect your 220 hook up to run that much wattage (most will do a free safety inspection at your request, a few have service charges). They will set up your account and never question your huge power consumption.

Put the kilns up front with lots of clay pots. Put the grow behind the new wall you build.

The details of your weed growing setup are vast. Finish step one before moving on to the grow details.

dusto2k3

I have helped set up a few industrial grow ops. Step one: Buy three electric kilns (used off craigs list). Have the power company inspect your 220 hook up to run that much wattage (most will do a free safety inspection at your request, a few have service charges). They will set up your account and never question your huge power consumption.

Put the kilns up front with lots of clay pots. Put the grow behind the new wall you build.

The details of your weed growing setup are vast. Finish step one before moving on to the grow details.

Thanks for the info Rumple. this is what I'm looking for. The weed wsetup is not a problem, that's the easier part really, it's doing it undetected that maked it a little more challenging. And the kilns are a great idea. that would def. aid me in another part of my idea.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Do a grow half the size by yourself.

Partners lead to trouble 100% of the time, just a matter of when. Could be 2 months or 9, but probably not much longer. Unless you're doing a collective in a med state, represented by legal counsel that is. Then he can draw you up a contract your partner can't change without pulling a gun on you, which they have been known to do.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
over kill on the scrubbers and dont draw any unwanted attention to the where house. If its a legal op dont worry so much just use commen sence.

Funniest thing I've read. So, is the service guy that's going to do your safety inspection going to be the one who puts in a "good word" towards your account based on your own recognizance? LOL

Save your money and skip the kilns. LOL

Who are you trying to fool, 4-year-olds? LOL

dusto2k3

Funniest thing I've read. So, is the service guy that's going to do your safety inspection going to be the one who puts in a "good word" towards your account based on your own recognizance? LOL

Save your money and skip the kilns. LOL

Who are you trying to fool, 4-year-olds? LOL

yeah around here a paying customer is a good customer.

Laugh all you want, but the Kiln setup was the best front I have seen yet. The guys doing it actually started up with a ceramic and glass blowing studio before switching to growing. They pay bulk rate on power and no one ever asks about how much power they use or why they need blowers.

This is not as uncommon as you would think. It can be done on private land as well. I would have some sort of front when renting any industrial space.

Sometimes stoner thoughts are pure genius.

Peace, R.

Laugh all you want, but the Kiln setup was the best front I have seen yet. The guys doing it actually started up with a ceramic and glass blowing studio before switching to growing. They pay bulk rate on power and no one ever asks about how much power they use or why they need blowers.

This is not as uncommon as you would think. It can be done on private land as well. I would have some sort of front when renting any industrial space.
So like, WHO is going to take notice and record notes of "power used for glass kilns" into your power account? Do you need to justify use for power nowadays? Are there job positions within power companies whose duties are to compare or monitor the intended/actual use of power?

Regardless of whether you had a completely empty space there or a bunch of kilns, the only person you're possibly going to convince is that one service guy, who was never really going to ask you what the power was going to be used for to begin with.

I mean, we're not exactly in kindergarten and trying to evade "getting in trouble with the teacher".

Sometimes stoner thoughts are pure genius.
Yeah but most of the time they're stupid.

dtfsux

Nobody is going to question the electric bill. It is a warehouse. You can run a decent amount of lights before the bill gets crazy high.

If the cops get suspicious, and pull your electric records, it doesn't matter what you have done, if they think it is high, they get a search warrant.

Fuck all that kiln bullshit.

One of the most important things is your front.

What are you going to tell your landlord? BTW have you thought about what happens when the landlord needs to get in? Oh they do, trust me. All of a sudden they are refinancing and the appraiser comes by, or the roof leaks, or something.

What will be the business front? How big of a space? People are going to pick up on your habits, you not being there, no inbound/outbound freight, no customers, no garbage etc. They will pick up on A/C's running 24/7 as well.

You will be there at night? Are you going to leave your cars out there at 1AM? Looks odd people going in and out at 1AM

What are you going to do at trim time when the whole place stinks? Then you walk out of the building and bump into a neighbor smelling like you rolled around in a pot farm.

rent a warehouse with a partner?

Let me tell you, been there, done that (bought the warehouse). Do yourself and your family a favor, find the nearest high-rise and jump off it. It will be much more pain-less, and will cost them less.

Look at all the threads on partners and they all turn up as disasters.

dusto2k3

Nobody is going to question the electric bill. It is a warehouse. You can run a decent amount of lights before the bill gets crazy high.

If the cops get suspicious, and pull your electric records, it doesn't matter what you have done, if they think it is high, they get a search warrant.

Fuck all that kiln bullshit.

One of the most important things is your front.

What are you going to tell your landlord? BTW have you thought about what happens when the landlord needs to get in? Oh they do, trust me. All of a sudden they are refinancing and the appraiser comes by, or the roof leaks, or something.

What will be the business front? How big of a space? People are going to pick up on your habits, you not being there, no inbound/outbound freight, no customers, no garbage etc. They will pick up on A/C's running 24/7 as well.

You will be there at night? Are you going to leave your cars out there at 1AM? Looks odd people going in and out at 1AM

What are you going to do at trim time when the whole place stinks? Then you walk out of the building and bump into a neighbor smelling like you rolled around in a pot farm.

rent a warehouse with a partner?

Let me tell you, been there, done that (bought the warehouse). Do yourself and your family a favor, find the nearest high-rise and jump off it. It will be much more pain-less, and will cost them less.

Look at all the threads on partners and they all turn up as disasters.

all fair questions. The smell and all that is east to deal with. It would be east to mandate the wearing of some kind of jump suit so as not to contaminate your self.

Landlord is the only thing I kinda wonder about. Remember this is a legitimate grow.

As far as a front, I'm thinking a service business would be easier to deal with than a sales company(manufactured goods). How hard would it be to slap a sticker on my van/pickup that says Mobile Detailing and have that. To everyone that sees me, it's mobile. Its a little easier to deal with the finances. Now SDGE wouldn't care, paying customer is good. I'm only talking about 10-14k watts

dusto2k3

If its only 10-14kws, I don't think you need a warehouse.

You can fit that in a garage.

I don't own a house. And to modify a rented house, that would be trouble. I wouldnt wanna live in a 10-14kw grow house. Rent for a smaller shop is cheaper in san diego county too.

And with logistics and stuff, don't you think house neighbors care a little more whats going on on their street than the guy in the stip industrial mall? Business are 24hours.

As far as space, I'm talking only 1500-2000sqft or so.

All very good points. I thought I would share one of the coolest setups I have seen. It has a front and cover . To be honest I am not sure how the power companies work. They had the drops installed and inspected then setup a bulk account. I was amazed how much thought went into the whole thing.

The two gentlemen who run the "ceramics shop" have been growing their green clay for years now without issue. If I ever did my own, I would try and copy their design from top to bottom.

Even if you are not worried about the power company, it still is a good idea to setup up a good front and make it look like you need the space for other things.

Just sharing my thoughts, R.

If you only are looking for a 2000 sq. ft area then you might just want to look into a rental house. I've also heard of annual inspections in some industrial buildings to make sure things are up to fire code, dont know how often they do that but to my understanding they could be kind of random.

the gnome

Veteran
If you only are looking for a 2000 sq. ft area then you might just want to look into a rental house. I've also heard of annual inspections in some industrial buildings to make sure things are up to fire code, dont know how often they do that but to my understanding they could be kind of random.

sometimes an insurance company covering the property requires inspections.
something to think about.
as far as a partner its trouble every time sooner or later.
in the 70s my 1st small grows with *partners* taught me early on its the easiest way to fuck up a good thing.
your wife maybe but even close family is asking for troubles many times

RedReign

I would go with a stand alone building.

In a small warehouse, with only a drywall wall separating your unit from your neighbors, they WILL smell it at some point. 10-14k worth of plants STINK, filters or not.

Do it solo, partnerships do not work.

Good luck.

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
Yea, INSPECTIONS. This should be on the first page. If you're a hotshot trying to talk shit about fronts on the first page, shut the fuck up, you missed the motherfucking obvious reason this is a bad idea.

Ceramic shop is a great idea IF you can do it on private property with no deed restrictions and shit and IF by this means you can avoid inspections. There are neighborhoods like that all around me, big lots with a house in front and a small business in the back.

Otherwise the only other safe way to grow in an industrial space is to buy it, have it recategorized as residential because hey you're going to redevelope that warehouse into lofts, right? That would prevent random inspections in the future..

INSPECTIONS INSPECTIONS INSPECTIONS

This is how Lothar was caught, right? Some inspector accidentally busted a hole in the warehouse subunit wall, stuck his head thru and looked a what was causing that light.. Lothar was pretty confident he could beat it.. then OG went down