What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Inducing polyploidy in plants

Cvh

Supermod
If anyone is interested here's a great thread from the research that was done by BuddhaSeeds on polyploidy

Last edited:

Dr.Mantis

If anyone is interested here's a great from the research that was done by BuddhaSeeds on polyploidy

Great thread, thank you for sharing!

Dirtynugs

What happens when you use a Trifoliate male as a Pollen source ?

I guess I'm about to find out. I'm taking several clones of the original. Going to place one clone of each in every group of female plants.

"The Literature Says" - IXNAY.

I suspect a more accurate term is simply, Multi-foliate.

My trifoliate male is Hyper-vigorous.

At about the 15th node, it "went straight" - and just started producing a storm of nodes and stems.

The growth is freakish and very impressive.

I like the idea of crossing it with a bunch of females, but maybe the pollen will be inactive.

Trifoliate phylotaxy is the result of root/hypocotyl mutation, it wont be passed on to cuttings.

Dr.Mantis

This is great . I love experiments and Im glad to be on this forum.

Dr. , in the end, what is your ultimate goals in succeeding in this experiment?

Excellent
I’m mostly interested to see if increased ploidy has an impact on perceivable aroma of the finished product. I don’t care to much about thc. I’m looking for stinky flower.

St. Phatty

I’ve always wondered what causes the trifoliate leaved plants, I don’t think it’s tri ploidy. AFAIK triploid cannabis pollen is sterile to diploid plants.

I’ve always found the odd looking plants fascinating. I’ve got a crazy looking seedling that I have cloned because she’s so weird.

Let me know if those traits end up in the offspring!

If the plant isn't sterile, probably the father's traits will pass on to the offspring.

Unless there's a part of Genetics where a pollen source can create viable seeds, but contribute no plant genetics.

Actually that sounds USEFUL - it would be like creating clones, in seed version, of the mother plant, presumably a very useful mother plant.

But in this case, I want the father's extreme vigor to be expressed in the "babies".

The plant reminds me of Arnold Schwarzenegger, in photos next to "normal" body-builders like Franco Columbu.

Dr.Mantis

Time for an update!

I treated all of the nodes on the cheese plant. After they pushed and grew. Few inches I took 4 of the most promising shoots and moved them to peat pellets. They seemed to root slightly slower than the mother. The mom would have visible roots in about 5-7 days, where as the treated shoot nodes took about 7-10 days.

Once rooted the plants were transferred to solo cups to begin vegging. At this point they all seem pretty healthy, and have recovered fairly well. Something very interesting, a few of the leaves have “variegation”. Except I don’t think it’s variegation in the true sense. My suspicion is the patches of different colored leaf tissue are cells with different ploidy levels. I’m goin to do a stomal check under the microscope to see if there are any noticeable differences of the size and density.
9201E7CE-0E66-47DF-8AAA-E1459D88F918.jpeg
B24F8009-41CC-4F82-987F-4C597B8BFFCA.jpeg

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Trifoliate phylotaxy is the result of root/hypocotyl mutation, it wont be passed on to cuttings.

Any papers showing what you're talking about? I don't currently believe your statement to be accurate, but I'm always open to new data.

Dr.Mantis

Alright, time for another overdue update!

Of all the nodes treated and rooted, this was the first and most promising looking tetraploid candidate. Very slow growing, much more bushy and squat than the diploid moma, and much larger width fan leaves. I still need to do a stomata print, and I will soon. I’m excited to flower this girl, and apply the technique to some other more promising ladies.
6A827504-1997-423B-BD26-57529A846990.jpeg
B3AF5BD2-BEC0-4F3C-8A20-662FE708D961.jpeg

Dr.Mantis

Alright, so quick update.

The original diploid GH cheese mom was topped, and all nodes were treated. After the nodes elongated, they were cut and rooted. One of the rooted clones was put into flower a few weeks ago (maybe 3? Idk). Here she is as of today. The flowers looks similar to the mom, but the pistils seem much larger and longer than I remember. I also don’t recall much aroma this early on with the mom, but there is already a familiar blueberry funk smell to her. There are some leaf issues, but she’s in a solo cup, so it is what it is.

FD234425-D2A0-44AF-A27F-B92B45DCCAF8.jpeg

Dr.Mantis

Exciting update from me. Given how well things are looking, and fairly confident in my technique, I decided to induce polyploidy in some more interesting seedlings. I had three sterling skunk IBL seedlings from CSI I wanted to treat. I waited until they were in the vegetive stage so I could compare treated to untreated shoots. Of the three plants two are female, and one is male. They all smell really nice (funky, acrid, skunk adjacent). However, the male in particular is absolutely stanky, like cheesy dead skunk. Additionally, he’s extremely greasy. A stem rub leaves your fingers feeling like you just squeezed a fresh bud.

Today I took cuttings of each. Once the cuttings root, I will flower the parents. I’m planning on pollinating the females to hopefully produce polyploid seeds. BE6248CA-AD78-4B6D-B389-E74963EF0ABD.jpeg

Leaves from the polyploid male, growing in a deli cup. Biggest I’ve grown so far.

Dr.Mantis

I’m quite impressed with the polyploid cheese plant I have flowering. The berry smell I had on the mother is much lower, and the sulfury funk seems to be much stronger than I remember. Handling the plant stinks up the tent for a good 20 mins.

I decided I want to keep this plant around longer, and practice my TC skills. I whipped up some modified MS media, based on some research I’ve been doing. The media was gelled with agar and autoclaved in breathable containers. I selected a new branch from the polyploid mom and prepped it for TC. First I removed all the leaves. And cut it into nodal segments. These were washed in sterilized water, then 2% NaDCCA for 15 mins, followed by 3% peroxide for another 15 mins. Next, the edges were cut off under a flow hood, and the stem cutting were pushed in the solidified medium.

2 weeks later, half of the containers had contam, so they were dumped. But the other two look okay. So far, no roots, but the new growth is looking good.

F6A251B2-81DC-4FB5-AA42-77395D08C8B0.jpeg

Interested to know how this is going--if it's still going. Have a probable triploid Super Skunk growing in a thread on the vert forum. Would like to try and work with it some in breeding--if it can have any utility creating polyploids (maybe treated to make hexaploids for breeding further tetraploids?) especially. Would appreciate you, GMT, or anyone else with knowledge checking it out (titled "A KISS Vertical Thread").

Latest posts

Latest posts