What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indoor Palm Plants

Green Squall

Any tips on this mess? Somehow its survived 30 years in a tiny pot with no sunlight. I've since transplanted it and its getting light in the mornings. Not sure if I should prune it or prop it up. I'm also considering taking a cutting, if possible.
palm.jpg

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
It usually regrows if you prune it, suporting that seems too much of a hassle, maybe try pruning one branch ans see if it buds under the cut? And ofc you can clone the top you cut!

Green Squall

It usually regrows if you prune it, suporting that seems too much of a hassle, maybe try pruning one branch ans see if it buds under the cut? And ofc you can clone the top you cut!
One branch, good idea. I'll try cutting above this little nub, which is probably the new growth. Might go lower on one of the other branches just to see if it buds again.
palm2.jpg

Green Squall

All those darker spots are potential bud sites. Should be ok! Btw, clones should have some lower leaves removed so they don't dry out too much till they get roots. Water container is ok to get roots from it.
Did some pruning and I feel good about it. The cuttings are in water now. Here's to 30 more years 🍻

@Donald Mallard I've got a handful in water right now and will be definitely be planting them if they take.

Green Squall

Its about 3 weeks later and I'm slowly seeing some roots form on the cuttings. Looking forward to making some news plants. I'll have to buy some more soil though because although I already bought a bag, temptation got the best of me and I popped some CBD rich seeds (Dead Lights) I've had in my fridge.

Green Squall

That's a dracaena marginata, @Green Squall , also called a dragon tree. Its leaves are toxic to dogs and cats. It's practically bulletproof. Mealybugs are the most common insect pest.

Nice work on the pruning and rooting of cuttings.
THANK YOU! I tried to identify it, but couldn't positively ID it. I don't have any pets right now, but the toxicity issue is noted since I haven't ruled out getting a pup in the future.

I had a couple more cuttings not shown and gave them to my dad to spruce up his office. I'll probably repot these ones one more time before finding a more suitable permanent spot.