What's new

Indoor, No-Till, First Run

descivii

Ok,
So I got the surrounding fence up and I have decided that instead of a white or reflective sheeting around the outside I am going to use a plant trained through the fence and acting as a natural wall. I am thinking of using morning glory for this as I think it will make a nice dense wall and it is an annual that I think will work fine in this setting. I have vined across a trellis and flowered out morning glory all from a 5glln pot so I know it will do the job successfully with confined roots let alone 100+glln.
My soil officially contains more than enough micro and probably macro as well. Clay and loess have been added as well as a kelp and yucca stuff. I then laid down about 1/2" layer of dried mulch over the entirety along with about 1/8" layer of BioTone. The mulch consists of general yard waste....oak leaves, maple, rose petals and leaves, various whole native weeds and a slice of watermelon rind for some roleypoley action. On top of the mulch layer I then added about 2" of topsoil, the topsoil should help with some of the quick drying issues I have had. Rather have a soil thats too light than too heavy. I think I will wait for these gurls to finish up before adding living mulch or companions so as to avoid any possible mite harboring among them. I also think I will introduce some worms today along with an attempt to capture some other decomposers from my compost pile.

The last Pic is a pic of the whole thing with the fence showing much more clearly.
The first pic is with the leaf mulch
The second pic is with the topsoil
Third pic is a Romm bud
Fourth pic is a shot of Casey Jones

BTW, mites are very controllable now and I should be able to rid the whole room of them once these gurls are done. All in all I'm a little disappointed with the first run but I have learned a bit from it and the next run will deffinately be better.

I dropped the light to 11hours for the week and will drop to 10 next week and end up at 9 the week of harvest.

J.

Attachments

• notillwithleaves.jpg
    notillwithleaves.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 11
  • notilltopsoil.jpg
    notilltopsoil.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN2437.jpg
    DSCN2437.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN2438.jpg
    DSCN2438.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 11
  • notillv1.8.jpg
    notillv1.8.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 12

MrFista

Veteran
Sounds great. You are thinking things out well. Do go check some of that morning glory and see if it is a bug refuge or not. Some plants are just bad news and it's very hard to tell without having a close examination. Sounds great though I love morning glory they're a special plant with human/plant history.

Great to hear your mites are under control.

descivii

Cuttings have been stricken for the morning glory and dandelion seeds will be sewn today.

Question though; Does biomass matter in terms of whats added back to soil or does it depend on the nutrient values of the biomass being added back? (I say biomass meaning general compost) Or in other words is it quantity or quality as far as compost and it being added back to soil?

On another note, the Rom smells like Grapefruit jetfuel, almost like apple bitters and puttin on the crystals in excess too. A little on the thin side but its gonna have to do for first run. CJ growth was awesome but nothing spectacular in flower yet, I plan on keeping CJ though as a plant I'd like to become more familiar with.

J

Scrappy4

Veteran
Cuttings have been stricken for the morning glory and dandelion seeds will be sewn today.

Question though; Does biomass matter in terms of whats added back to soil or does it depend on the nutrient values of the biomass being added back? (I say biomass meaning general compost) Or in other words is it quantity or quality as far as compost and it being added back to soil?

On another note, the Rom smells like Grapefruit jetfuel, almost like apple bitters and puttin on the crystals in excess too. A little on the thin side but its gonna have to do for first run. CJ growth was awesome but nothing spectacular in flower yet, I plan on keeping CJ though as a plant I'd like to become more familiar with.

J

As you might imagine you can taylor your compost to your needs, just like a tea. But a lot of bad compost would be no match for a little good compost. And good compost can be multiplied with teas, to go even further. I'm sure there is a break even point as far as amounts, but every grow is little different. And if your like me you will stumble on something that works, once the quality of the ingredients is there. So I would say focus on quality.

On your plants smell. Organic grows can really reek at times. I've noticed that too, especially those last couple of weeks. After there cut though the smell goes down quickly, but my wife still insists I store my stash in glass......scrappy

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran

humus rich compost is the ultimate goal. the more humus the better it will be in your soil. i guess you could say it would be more nutrient dense as well.

MrFista

Veteran
Good question. Biomass from depleted soils is poor by comparison to biomass from rich soil. To enrich the soil you want good mineral content and the biological component will pick up its game accordingly. Seaweed, rock dust, compost from varied sources.

Often a lot of good mineral content is just locked away and the soil is considered poor due to this. Adding a mulch layer will encourage fungi which in turn will elevate (available) P levels and if you aren't heavy handed with N you might also encourage free living (and leguminous if you plant legumes) N fixers to the system.

Building an ecosystem takes patience, but knowledge shaves a lot of time off it.

descivii

Some Top dressing

Some Top dressing

Ok, so I finally got a blender that I can use so I decided to do a 100% flower liquid to pour over my soil and the solids will be a topdressing. I am fortunate to be pretty much growing a wide enough range of diversity in my own yard that I can pretty much grow my own if I was to give up animal products (I have no beef with this subject, I just can't grow my own animal product is all). Anyway.

Cucumber flowers
Hybiscus flowers
Cereus peruvianus flowers
Epiphyllum 'Spring on Mars' flowers
Asst. Tea Rose petals
Daylillies
Peace Lillies
Easter Lillies
Tree Lillies
Hydrangea
Petunia

I think that's all the flowers. In the blender it is about 1:1 and there was 2 blenderfuls the equaled about a gallon. I then added about 2 more gallons of water and some molasses as well as Agave nectar. I then poured it around the edge all the way around. Kinda hard to tell in the pictures but the brighter areas are the flower mud.

Attachments

• Flowercompost1.jpg
    Flowercompost1.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 6
  • LiquidFlower1gl.jpg
    LiquidFlower1gl.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 2ndbatchFlowerblend1.jpg
    2ndbatchFlowerblend1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Flowerblend3.jpg
    Flowerblend3.jpg