What's new

Indoor mmj in process

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Keep bangin' it out mckush. Might seem daunting now, but once this is finished you'll be glad you stuck it out. :respect: for the work ethic man.

Hi D! thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll get there. I'm having fun but wish i wasn't so anal about everthing and was able to do it more quickly.. ah well much of the fun is in the building and planning, designing, reiterating and adapting... thats fun too.

Lately I've been studying various shower floor systems... oh boy... man shit fire, there are hard ways and then there are ways that wont work... I'm going to do a thin membrane floor. maybe use ditra for floor then fiberglass and redguard or lacticret, Noble, or ardex... the mind boggles...

anyway, youtube shower pans and disasters a bit. fricken sober you up about putting in a good solution...

I want two floor drains but I need to be sure I can drain to them or always use pans or rubber to contain the water. floor leaks around the drain are easy to F up and do.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't sleep on pond liner, shit is tough as hell. Seals well when installing drains also ;).

Hi D,

I wont, I simply love the stuff! Unfortunately I've pretty much used up the last of a huge roll I bought 15 years ago when I did my koi pond. I just have a bazillion strips and a small piece left tho, small piece will be used as a moisture barrier for the FR walls...

hehe but I agree with you 100% and I've already got pond liner as either a backup plan or I'll incorporate it into the design afterwards if I have any doubt whatsoever in my floor drains.

I've come to respect plumbers and shower floor drains much more now. I'm intrigued by the challenge of something so simple as stopping water from going anywhere but where you want it to go... hehe If not done properly, your seal WILL leak around the drain. Its not as easy as I thought it would be. But also I'm not pouring a shower drain and putting down a pan. I do not want it that badly.

I'm looking at laticrete, redguard, and others but I think I'll probably go with redguard, cement board, and maybe the fiberglass but I doubt it. Then I'm thinking a Ditra barrier with thinset of course.

I was going to be a pussy and use mastic but thats out, I can't do it in good concious no matter how easy it makes the job. Going to fuck up my hands some more with thinset I guess.... lol will try to keep the gloves on more often when I do that I guess. My hands have finally healed back up and I've got super callouses now on some of my fingers!

But even after that - I'm thinking about swaddling the pots in pond liner. Its just sooooo easy for me to work with and I'll get 100% guaranteed leak free drain from it.

I really do like the black color of pond liner too, I think a dark floor is better than a light one.

I'll be in a sealed room that is essentially jacketed or encased in 1/4" pond liner strips...

I'm still working the sump. Last night I mocked it up and drilled the basin. Next is installation. When my sump is installed and plumbing is pre-run, I can finish my second layer of 3/4 ply. That will take care of the floor for a bit then I can concentrate on framing and insulation of the FR.

I'm also thinking about water storage. I excavated a place for a tank but still need to locate a suitable polyethylene tank with the right dimensions. Farm store is great place to find a tank. Plenty of agricultural uses for storage tanks.

I need a wide short one. Ideally holding 50+ gallons and no more than 20 or 30 inches height. No worries here, I've already built a system which house many hundreds of gallons of water.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The War Department held an emergency meeting yesterday and told the Head Office to kindly slow the fuck down on the burn rate for said hobbies. She was great about it to be honest but asked, as is her perogative and fully within her powers, for an ETA to finish it up. both budget and time wise, but really mostly about how much more is this gonna cost? I told her maybe another 2K. That's gonna put the squeeze on the ol purse you know. I think I got about another 4K to go but thats including the entire package which is a music recording studio too. So hey. My elbows aint touching wood but the eyebrows have now been officically raised and I need to get this shit done more cost effectively. That means I'll probably not tile the room immediately but just put in cement board and finish that. Maybe some white paint for a while until I tile it when I get down time.

I finally installed the sump and plumbing this morning so after lunch I'll get on the rest of the floor and then to framing out the bottom half and putting in the floor jacks etc...

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
but honestly - and young bros let me point out to you what you really do not need to do in this situation is argue - thats my age showing - now you being you, will probably fuck this up, I however in my most His Ballerness McKush grace said not much but gave the 'ol serious nod in agreement with something that I really haven't said much on to begin with. I'm the silent strong type remember. So I manned up, mentally realized she was right after all, fucks sake she always has been in the past, why not now as well???? So anyway I didn't remind her that some of the cost was for some new tools we needed anyway. project or not we (notice I shift to the we are in this together type verbage), yeah, "we" are in need of a new air compressor, chop saw, etc... so my point dear listener is this, the house hold does get some residual benefit from the tools so we can't lump all that onto this project. now that is fuckin' not fair, right? plain as day to fucking see from where I mother fucking sit!!!! nah, i didn't say any of that. I tightened my ass a bit and agreed to cool it.

ok, tile can maybe wait unless I really delay getting done. then the new onslought of bills will not hurt sooooo much.

I still have to get 2 12" fans and silencers. I need the room to be quiet and I won't skimp on the air flow now that I've really spent the time reading, asking questions, and reiterating the design as I learned more about what type of room I want.

Last edited:

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Post #1 Updated :

Update 20140121 - Several changes have been made to the room before the design was finalized. I am no longer going to have a large veggie
space. Veggie Room (VR) will be a small closet 18"Wx48"Lx27"H this is going to be underneath the "ledge". The Ledge was old VR space now
given to the FR to make the FR 5'Wx6'Lx10'H this is known as the "pit" and also a section on the "ledge". The Ledge is 3'Wx5'Lx7.8'H.
I won't be using a Dpap anymore, that was abandoned when I reconfigured to current dimensions to get a better W/sqft.

Sooo FR is really more like 5'Wx9'L with two heights 10' and 7.8'. I will be able to remove a section of the floor to make and even deeper FR too.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
catching up with icmag today. but I'll get back to framing the rest of the bottom plate in a bit.. I've run out of 2x4's almost and I'm pondering whether or not I want to venture out in this cold stormy weather for more or not... I really need 20 or 25 more 2x4s.. arg

My journalized written status is ahead of my pictoral description above i know.... just be patient... both story lines meet up in the end, believe me. they do. I'm sure they will. at least I'm pretty sure ...

PakaloloFromPNW

Veteran
catching up with icmag today. but I'll get back to framing the rest of the bottom plate in a bit.. I've run out of 2x4's almost and I'm pondering whether or not I want to venture out in this cold stormy weather for more or not... I really need 20 or 25 more 2x4s.. arg

My journalized written status is ahead of my pictoral description above i know.... just be patient... both story lines meet up in the end, believe me. they do. I'm sure they will. at least I'm pretty sure ...

I'll wait for the pictures. Don't go outside if it is dangerous to drive around. Ending up in the ditch won't get those 2x4's home.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Brave the blowing white monster did I now and back to Spoon and framing I go...

Building the rough veggie/bonus room today.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nasty as shit turned to just plain cold and wind.

Lucky for the birds McKush still loves them. Squirrels, the little fuckers can piss me off. I'll give 'em quarters and respect for braving this shit tho. Lets call it an uneasy truce.

Naw, I don't kill squirrels. I don't kill much at all except time and brain cells behind a keyboard. Back to work on structural changes, flooring and bottom plates.

I'm seeing some digging ahead of me too. Not much by my own past history and standards but I don't relish the task much neither. digging sucks donkey balls, no any two other ways about it......

Anyway the end will be sahweet. I enjoy each and every time I get to work in the studio. That is plenty cool.

D

DHF

Fuuuuck...More diggin ?....It`s always somethin huh Kushy.....

Hope all falls into place fer yas sooner than later Bro.....Good luck and....

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fuuuuck...More diggin ?....It`s always somethin huh Kushy.....

Hope all falls into place fer yas sooner than later Bro.....Good luck and....

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....

Ha! I'm out here now sittin on my arse and sizing up how much more excavation I've got to do. Not too bad. I need the excercise too. I'm better at digging than lifting I'll tell ya that. my freaking back is screaming at me from carrying heavy loads - at night usually - in the dark - screaming like a mad banshee dropped out on a hillside of snow and ice. Good thing about the snow and ice, it covers the mud. Anyway, my back is killing so its slowing me up. But I'm happy with the progress. My occaisional comments are ahead of my pictures so its a tough read I'm sure.

Its gonna be nice for indoor gardening and listening/making music for sure. I made my last tweek to the main floor layout over the past couple of days. so top floor and bottom floor layouts are done. I've got the ventilation laid out just need to get more equipment (fans n shit). Now I have to make some more room in the crawl to accommodate a water reservoir and two 12" fans with silencers.... and some ducting.

I've been doing structural work to the main floor this week. I've bolted the main load bearing members together, used some metal hangers too, in order to make everything capable of bearing good loads without flexing.

After that, smooth sailing bro.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok, at home this mornin instead of church due to a sick daughter... :( Anyway, have tons of photos to upload so stay tuned for more pictures for the reading challenged... construction pics galore, may not be your bag but I like them. I like construction pics because to me its seeing something arise from nothing, but in pictures...

Hopefully will take advantage of today and get the flooring framed and the FR half wall started or done...I'm sure I'll grab a few pics along the way also for eht gnidaer deriapmi.

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok so what follows here are pics of me sizing up how to build the floor on concrete pre-fab pillars. Lots of test fits and realizations that the real work is digging... have we discussed dirt and digging much? No? good, I bitch more coming up... actually not "bitch" as in "complain" but "bitch" as in "complain a lot for doing something that is fun"...

McKush was human once you know, I still have failingsssssss.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cleaned up and took the time to apply some Drylok while I was at it....

Now you can see the exposed footers and understand how deep I went. The rocks and dirt and gravel were above the bottom of my joists....

picture.php

Believe it or not I still did tons more digging....

Latest posts

Latest posts