What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Indian Artifacts

79towncar

Artifacts are a great hobby. Altho i don't have any experience with indian artifacts my cuz in Sicily is really into old Roman artifacts. He has a Roman leigonaire's sandle from the 1st century. I know it don't sound great but a 2000 year old sandle is no joke, its sooo olde and cool. But anyway after that i started looking at artifacts and things from the 1st century an in Isreal there is a whole market for 1st century and earlier items. Theres some really rich collectors over there that have artifacts that date back to ancient Summer and Mesopotamia im talking 6 thousand year old artifacts. Its mind boggleing.

S

SwampSavant

When I was younger I found a spot in a creek that had a lot of colorful stone shards from Native Americans making tools and weapons. I spent a summer digging in to the bank and found some interesting items. Burned wood from camp fires, many broken arrow points but my two best find were these.

I found where lightning had struck the Earth and crystallized the sand. It looked just like lightning and was about 9" in height and about 5" around. It was vary brittle however and I was to young to understand how rare it was. Needless to say it did not last very long.

My most prized discovery was a perfect arrow head. Who ever made it did so with incredible skill and patience. It was pinkish red and transparent. I had it until my first year of high school as I had made it in to a necklace and never let it out of my sight. During a playful game of basketball the necklace snapped and in what seemed like slow motion my treasure fell to the ground "I almost caught it" and shattered in to uncounted pieces.

L

LolaGal

My best find is a pipe shaped like a bear on it's back!

I have also found hoe blades, points, axes, all kinds of cool stuff.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If im not mistaken it is illegal to take Indian artifacts away from the site where discovered. I have a cpl friends with very large collections and from what they say it is now illegal to collect.

grimcreeper

Yeah it is illegal, but what is the problem picking up arrow heads unless you get caught. You're not ripping open burial mounds.

Within the last few years this happened around me. Some jerks went in and tore some open to get the artifacts. These aren't well known and don't look like what one would think of when they hear the term burial mound, but still. That's sacred IMO.

L

LolaGal

I found a six inch ring of stone once, guess it's ceremonial. Definitely hand carved. Weighs about 1 lb. Maybe 3 inches thick.

Also found lots of Indian clay marbles, drills, bird points, knifes, scrapers, axes.

The bear pipe is cute. He's made of black soapstone? and lays on his back, holding the pipe bowl in his paws.

Never found any pots but have found mortars and grinding tools.

L

LolaGal

Yes, I as well, only surface hunt.

I wonder why it is OK to plow Indian burial mounds, plant corn, etc., but not okay to dig in the same field?

Surely plowing = digging. Looks like the farmers would not be allowed to plow these sites.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
fence sitter

fence sitter

Yes, I as well, only surface hunt.
I wonder why it is OK to plow Indian burial mounds, plant corn, etc., but not okay to dig in the same field?
Lola you have a point..I was an avid surface hunter for over 30 years and know some close indian friends. They would much rather see the artifacts saved and displayed for future generations to see and enjoy rather than to have them distroyed by some sort of farming. Thier ideas of sacred ground needs to be respected as well. So it is a difficult choice, even for them, to make when tilling or disturbing the ground near a camp or burial ground. I display my collection and it gathers a lot of attention and generates a lot of conversation. I now live very close to, if not on, a camp ground where bowls, projectiles, and beads appear from rain and wind. I try and reveal to my friends that visit the thoughts of my previous indian friends when discussing this issue but I'm sure those thoughts are not the same for all members of the tribes. I'm on the fence sort of when it comes to this issue...but I'm always looking down for a new find...DD

L

LolaGal

Once a major university came to dig a local burial mound in the 1920s.

The town where it was now located was starting to build when they uncovered the mound. The major university came and dug up all kinds of cool museum quality relics, scooped em up, and now they reside in drawers somewhere.

I have read the transcripts or reports of what they did and have seen photos. It was very interesting. Also of interest were all the reports of other burial mounds and camp sites located in the area. Everyone wanted to show off their knowledge of Indian relics and records were kept of the sites visited. One mound had drilled quartz beads lying on top of the ground in those days.

Alas! When attempting to visit these sites, most were plowed, flat fields in creek bottoms. Too bad they did not have GPS in those days...lol

Anyway, it's a shame all the relics are not in a museum locally instead of a university research drawer somewhere.

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
I can never understand why we destroyed a whole civilization of native people..............i know why, but it shows still today the damage done.........in every way, imo.

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
7243Gold0003.jpg

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
thankyou bro,

I hoped it passed...lol,...... because you are the best! and i sure wish you would share some more of your photography......if time permits

I have a small collection of large arrow heads and one small perfect black obsidian arrow head found in a small creek bed not far from home. I've got some Tennesee Cherokee genes in me too, like alot of Americans. I'm home for a couple weeks recovering from surgery, so I'll post some more pics.

Great thread everybody, and Hi to you all..........hey Lola!!!

Desi

Z

zombo

Hey fellow surface hunters:wave:
Nice pipe Dez,I think if I found a pipe I'd be tempted to fill it with some fine bud and pull a few hits through.
There's nothing like smoking a fat joint and spending the next couple hours hunting artifacts.
Heres a pic. of many hours of hunting,they were all found by me in my local area along the Susquehanna River and its tributaries.

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts