What's new

India tropical NLDs

musigny23

Here are a few photos of my green pheno Shilong plant. Pretty impressive for a tribal domesticate "landrace" and not a bred line from a commercial breeder. I'm really surprised no western commercial breeders have worked with this type. Plenty have worked with other tropical NLDs but I'm not aware of any working with this or anything from tropical India other than Kerala.

You can see this was grown in a 65 gallon fabric grow bag. I would prefer to grow it in the ground but didn't have a spot available. This spot was very sunny but also could be very windy sometimes and not only did this grow bushy with many branches but it was incredibly tough. No branches broke in from wind which often can happen to other types in that spot. The main stem was thick and solid in the soil. Often plants get knocked over by afternoon winds where the stem meets the soil but not this one. It stayed vertical no matter what. Flowering got going in September and is mostly done now. Although in a more friendly climate it might go a bit further. This has also shown strong disease resistance which is needed here to make it this late. It has seen several rain storms and many cold damp nights.

I'm not great at describing scents but I'd say this has a deep low tone tropical fruit mixed with spices aroma. Can't really describe the effects yet.

eu9D3Ql.jpg

z6MqYwM.jpg

d1Namxa.jpg

goingrey

Here are a few photos of my green pheno Shilong plant. Pretty impressive for a tribal domesticate "landrace" and not a bred line from a commercial breeder. I'm really surprised no western commercial breeders have worked with this type. Plenty have worked with other tropical NLDs but I'm not aware of any working with this or anything from tropical India other than Kerala.

You can see this was grown in a 65 gallon fabric grow bag. I would prefer to grow it in the ground but didn't have a spot available. This spot was very sunny but also could be very windy sometimes and not only did this grow bushy with many branches but it was incredibly tough. No branches broke in from wind which often can happen to other types in that spot. The main stem was thick and solid in the soil. Often plants get knocked over by afternoon winds where the stem meets the soil but not this one. It stayed vertical no matter what. Flowering got going in September and is mostly done now. Although in a more friendly climate it might go a bit further. This has also shown strong disease resistance which is needed here to make it this late. It has seen several rain storms and many cold damp nights.

I'm not great at describing scents but I'd say this has a deep low tone tropical fruit mixed with spices aroma. Can't really describe the effects yet.

eu9D3Ql.jpg

z6MqYwM.jpg

d1Namxa.jpg
Nice plant, quite the bush!

Mandala has worked with some Indian genetics. More so with northern ones but also some southern (Kalichakra, Krystalica).

musigny23

It appears at the moment there is about a week more of favorable weather. It might continue but that's how it looks now. This green pheno Phoolwani is getting closer but might not get to fully mature in a week. Or it might, I don't know. Smells very nice now. Tropical fruit. I hope it makes it. Buds still show growth with new white stigma coming out as you can see in the second photo.

Where I am near the central California coast at at 37°N seems to be where growing something like this is just barely possible. It requires a late starting rainy season and involves luck and timing with no wet cold weather for the final 2 to 3 weeks to maturity. One must be willing to take the chance. But in recent years it seems climate change has caused a slow beginning to the rainy season so chances are better than in the past.

I also have a very red stem Phoolwani with purple flowers and a different scent.

OVg2eNz.jpg

0fnRGnH.jpg

musigny23

My green pheno Shilong is finally arriving at maturity although some branches more than others. These photos show what mature flowers look like with fully developed bracts and no new white stigmas emerging.
I'm lucky to get to this point. There's been two weeks of dry sunny days although the nights are cold and long.

The tropical types like this can be pulled off here but I don't think I quite get the full potential of the genetics due to the sun being much less strong this time of year and short 10 hour days. Cold nights are another thing they aren't used to. With some luck, I can probably get these to something like 80 - 90% of the potential they can reach where they come from.

SvYJU1e.jpg

2o2scSQ.jpg

Verdant Whisperer

My green pheno Shilong is finally arriving at maturity although some branches more than others. These photos show what mature flowers look like with fully developed bracts and no new white stigmas emerging.
I'm lucky to get to this point. There's been two weeks of dry sunny days although the nights are cold and long.

The tropical types like this can be pulled off here but I don't think I quite get the full potential of the genetics due to the sun being much less strong this time of year and short 10 hour days. Cold nights are another thing they aren't used to. With some luck, I can probably get these to something like 80 - 90% of the potential they can reach where they come from.

SvYJU1e.jpg

2o2scSQ.jpg
Super interested in how the shillong smoked? if anyone has tried it? it is described to have a a high similiar to thai/laos varieties, from its terpene profile it shares the lemongrass aroma with that seems to associate more with cambodian and vietnam region as far as landraces. I imagine it has a nice thai effect with enough of the indian sativa background to make it somewhat trippy but not too intense.

"Potent Sativa-type domesticate with an intense high like classic Thai and Lao landraces." https://mtseedbank.in/product/shillong-landrace-seeds/

"Mint, perfume, spice, lemon grass and camphor."

musigny23

What I have found is that the India landraces as presented to me by the seed finders vary widely in pheno expression. I really did like the version I got from Landrace Mafia a few years ago. It had many good traits including strong disease resistance. These domesticates will vary so you must grow a number and evaluate the phenos yourself. It's also very hard to say how consistent different sources will be with each other. Collectors visiting various villages are likely to get a variety of examples.

Latest posts

Latest posts