What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Increasing Trichome Production before harvest?

People need to educate themselves on foliar feeding. When foliar feeding compost tea you can help to protect against any molds, etc.. These worries are from lack of education.

It is lack of knowledge of how plants actually function is why the ignorance of foliar feeding is being spread.

Most every organic farmer I know foliar feeds. They foliar feed through the entire cycle of the plant.

It is the most overlooked part of gardening by most cannabis growers.

If you are not foliar feeding then you are wasting part of the potential of your plants.

With proper foliar feeding you can increase yields, and resin production. It is a must if you are trying to raise your brix levels.

There is a ton of science out there supporting the use of foliar feeding.

Old cannabis wive's tales need to die already. :)

Foliar feeding is a myth. I had only heard that term used on cannabis forums, blogs, etc never in a scientific paper.

SaBeS

Religiously foliar feed your plants, and they will reward you with frosty ass buds.

Foliar feeding is the number one thing I see people overlooking.

Once a week minimum, but twice a week is better.

I know some people get there panties in a wad about spraying your plants in flower, but that is just plain retarded. We are dealing with plants. Plants are meant to be grown outside. When outside they get bugs, dust, rain, etc..

Foliar feed, and make happy plants. :)

+1
Also foliar feeding helps treat deficiencies

Daub Marley

Plucking leaves is something I will never do.theyre whole purpose is to photosynthesize(turn light energy into food) and removing them obviously hinders this process.Also, removing more than 20% of fan leaves can stunt growth. I do know a lot of people who do it though, just something I don't agree with
That's OK. Plucking the leaves on a companion plant will give the same result.

SaBeS

Foliar feeding is a myth. I had only heard that term used on cannabis forums, blogs, etc never in a scientific paper.

Read more...
Nitrogen is on only available in n2 for plants in nature, and it needs to be broken down into one nitrogen for plants to be able to use it. Normally this is done with microbes within the soil, though during a thunder storm when lightning strikes it breaks apart nitrogen and literally rains it down on the plants where it can be absorbed through the leaves.

This is why in places with a lot of thunderstorms tend to be some of the greenest places on earth.

As for it never being studied.... It has it is just not cost effective for most commercial applications as a lot of methods used to grow cannibis.

Talk to any certified organic farmer.

Read a book not about growing cannabis, and you can learn the "science" behind foliar feeding.

It is far from a myth. It is a major part of elevating your brix readings. If it is a myth then the brix readings would not change when you foliar feed.

You are very uneducated about foliar feeding.

Reptile UVB bulbs dont run hot at all, I have 4 38w cfls and one 2' T5 in a 4x4 tent and they dont even raise the temp 1 degree. I can say I have seen day and night differences with and without uvb. I dont start in flower, I begin the uvb from the moment the break the surface from the time the main lights come on till the go off. The ladies love it. Colder temps are also a great way to bring out a little more, and brings the colors. Dropping the humidity levels is another way to kick up the trich productions the lower the better.

gobyebye

People need to educate themselves on foliar feeding. When foliar feeding compost tea you can help to protect against any molds, etc.. These worries are from lack of education.

It is lack of knowledge of how plants actually function is why the ignorance of foliar feeding is being spread.

Most every organic farmer I know foliar feeds. They foliar feed through the entire cycle of the plant.

It is the most overlooked part of gardening by most cannabis growers.

If you are not foliar feeding then you are wasting part of the potential of your plants.

With proper foliar feeding you can increase yields, and resin production. It is a must if you are trying to raise your brix levels.

There is a ton of science out there supporting the use of foliar feeding.

Old cannabis wive's tales need to die already. :)
very true man, I foliar with compost tea all throughout harvest..botrytis is introduced in a environment that already is struggling .if you have healthy plants they should be able to fight all that off , unless your running extremely high humidities of course..if your scene is dialed in compost tea will do nothing but introduce nothing but beneficial microbes.i usually spray before my lights turn on that way one the humidity rises , its not long before my lights turn on and kick the ac on which acts as a dehumidifier
Do have one question though.brix levels? Never heard of it can you specify

ghostmade

Veteran
cold nighttime temps, A low humidity during light outs,2 weeks from harvest, then the last 3 4 days keep it low till harvest. also don't water your plants 24-36 hours before harvest.my boy said he get 15% more yield of bho. from this method.he is still trying to collect quantifiable data points on the 24-36 hours of darkness. he said he couldn't see any difference his first time trying the "blackout" method. I told him its like drying the plant, while its still living. make sense? but hey, what do I know.im just some guy who gorilla's for wax. haha.im all ears here to man

afghan

Daub Marley has an interesting point - plants do tend to bring on an automatic response when threatened, when even their neighbours are threatened. Increased resin/terpene production could be a form of defensive response.

Chitin - a natural component of insects - is said to do the same as the plant interprets it as a huge influx of potential predators!

y'all are crazy, not a single one has even bothered to present the concept of basic plant physiology...shouldn't that be the 1st question of increasing trich production?

Please start here at least, understand how a plant works....and you will be Hard pressed to find effective studies demonstrating the benefits of foliar feeding, why? because again, its related to Basic physiology.
http://cronodon.com/BioTech/Plant_Transport.html

Think of a plant as an engine...... Generally, the roots are the intake and the leaves [not counting photosynthesis and Co2 uptake] are the exhaust, water and oxygen specifically. It is estimated than a Red Maple 25 feet tall can transpire about 50gallons of water per hour, this is why it feels cool under the shade of a tree, it is misting itself.........Realistically the best time to foliar would be at night when oxygen uptake is also occuring [yes, plants uptake oxygen, they don't exclusively transpire it.] Even then that is dubious.

Feed the soil [or medium], not the plant. Sounds cliche', but it is Fact. K.I.S.S.'s

P.s.
Sabes, honestly I don't know what the fuck you are talking about either and you kinda sound like you don't either, but it is interesting, so look it up and back up your assertion and actually relay what concept you are talking about...oxidizing nitrates? do you know how the nitrogen cycles operates?

Mia

Please start here at least, understand how a plant works....and you will be Hard pressed to find effective studies demonstrating the benefits of foliar feeding, why? because again, its related to Basic physiology.

Effectiveness

"Dr. H.B. Tukey, renowned plant researcher and head of the Michigan State University (MSU) Department of Horticulture in the 1950s, working with research colleague S. H. Wittwer at MSU, first proved conclusively that foliar feeding of plant nutrients really works. Studies were conducted using radioactive phosphorus and potassium to verify its veracity. Plant foliage was sprayed and measured with a Geiger counter to observe absorption, movement, and the utilization of plant essential nutrients. Results from the experiments quantified plant nutrients moving at the rate of about one foot per hour to all parts of the plants."[2]
Foliar feeding is considered especially useful for introducing trace elements, or for "emergency" feeding of plants which are found to have a specific shortage. But in some cases, with tomatoes, for example, it is believed that foliar feeding during flower set causes a dramatic increase in fruit production.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foliar_feeding

A

acridlab

Reptile UVB bulbs dont run hot at all, I have 4 38w cfls and one 2' T5 in a 4x4 tent and they dont even raise the temp 1 degree. I can say I have seen day and night differences with and without uvb. I dont start in flower, I begin the uvb from the moment the break the surface from the time the main lights come on till the go off. The ladies love it. Colder temps are also a great way to bring out a little more, and brings the colors. Dropping the humidity levels is another way to kick up the trich productions the lower the better.

Yeah, cfls are cool in temp, but I've found that the real deal uvb/uva come from mercury vapor type bulbs,, pref over 150 watts,, those lil cfls aren't doing much compared to the vapor,, and those bastards are hot :)

SaBeS

y'all are crazy, not a single one has even bothered to present the concept of basic plant physiology...shouldn't that be the 1st question of increasing trich production?

http://cronodon.com/BioTech/Plant_Transport.html

Think of a plant as an engine...... Generally, the roots are the intake and the leaves [not counting photosynthesis and Co2 uptake] are the exhaust, water and oxygen specifically. It is estimated than a Red Maple 25 feet tall can transpire about 50gallons of water per hour, this is why it feels cool under the shade of a tree, it is misting itself.........Realistically the best time to foliar would be at night when oxygen uptake is also occuring [yes, plants uptake oxygen, they don't exclusively transpire it.] Even then that is dubious.

Feed the soil [or medium], not the plant. Sounds cliche', but it is Fact. K.I.S.S.'s

P.s.
Sabes, honestly I don't know what the fuck you are talking about either and you kinda sound like you don't either, but it is interesting, so look it up and back up your assertion and actually relay what concept you are talking about...oxidizing nitrates? do you know how the nitrogen cycles operates?

I am a horticulture science major, I study this for a living. And who said oxidizing nitrates... I'm talking about breaking apart n2 bonds in the air, which is about 20% nitrogen. I was giving an example of how foliar feeding happens in nature and there are many more examples. On the underside of plant leaves they have the ability to absorb nutrients and water through the cells as they do not have a waxy coating as the top side does. It is we'll know that many trees in the wild uptake as much as 50 percent of their water through their foliage.

To say foliar feeding is a myth is to not know how nature works

Mikenite69

Veteran
Ya I am not saying there isn't a benefit to foliar feeding. I have foliar fed to help with defiencys. Now one thing you will never catch me do is foliar feed a plant at lights out for risk of powdery mildew outbreak.

Also I am not trying to start a fight here but what the hell does a 1950 study about foliar feeding tomatoes have to do with weed? I mean you don't smoke tomatoes do you? So for me I don't think I want to smoke buds that were soaked in bat shit there whole flowering cycle but hey that's just me.

Now I am not saying there isn't a benefit because plants can take in nutrients both ways through the roots and leaves.

I guess I'll have to try to foliar feed a whole crop cycle and see how it turns out with a plant that I have ran more than once to see if there is a major difference. I am sorry if I don't take old ass study's from some plant dude from over 64 years ago that also had nothing to do with cannibis buds that you will be inhaling.

Also you can increase your bricks levels with molasses or some sweeteners on the market u don't have to foliar feed to increase brix levels.

Throw up some bud shots of your foliar fed crop I want to see the yields that you are achieving with this method so this way it might convince me more to do it.

Also I had to point this out just like you are getting on people about foliar feeding plants there are many people that swear by defoliating to increase bud production. But there will always be a debate of some people saying don't do and others that swear by it. So I guess the whole foliar feeding thing all the way through the flowering cycle I would guess would be a 50/50 split also with some saying they love it and others that say don't do it.

But like I said I don't feel you are wrong about foliar feeding different strokes for different folks. I would just have to expirement with it with a strain that I have grown and never foliar fed. I'll give it a try next time I flower my plants out to see if I really notice a increase of buds and if it doesn't effect the taste of the end product. I am always up to try new things so I'll put this method into my next grow and will report what I find when I am done.

SaBeS

Well for one I would definatly NOT spray my plant with bat shit ever. Mostly it's dissolved rock nutrients and some amino acids and maybe some bacteria. Also I stop foliar feeding at day 40 because, indeed for some climates and specifically for some strains it could lead to negative effects, though I have foliar fed to harvest without problem but I'm in a dry climate. Also I stop at 40 days to start my humidity drop up until harvest. I feel the plants increase trichome production to protect seeds (even though there aren't any) in lower humidity, though that is just a hypothesis.

Ya I am not saying there isn't a benefit to foliar feeding. I have foliar fed to help with defiencys. Now one thing you will never catch me do is foliar feed a plant at lights out for risk of powdery mildew outbreak.

Also I am not trying to start a fight here but what the hell does a 1950 study about foliar feeding tomatoes have to do with weed? I mean you don't smoke tomatoes do you? So for me I don't think I want to smoke buds that were soaked in bat shit there whole flowering cycle but hey that's just me.

Now I am not saying there isn't a benefit because plants can take in nutrients both ways through the roots and leaves.

I guess I'll have to try to foliar feed a whole crop cycle and see how it turns out with a plant that I have ran more than once to see if there is a major difference. I am sorry if I don't take old ass study's from some plant dude from over 64 years ago that also had nothing to do with cannibis buds that you will be inhaling.

Also you can increase your bricks levels with molasses or some sweeteners on the market u don't have to foliar feed to increase brix levels.

Throw up some bud shots of your foliar fed crop I want to see the yields that you are achieving with this method so this way it might convince me more to do it.

Also I had to point this out just like you are getting on people about foliar feeding plants there are many people that swear by defoliating to increase bud production. But there will always be a debate of some people saying don't do and others that swear by it. So I guess the whole foliar feeding thing all the way through the flowering cycle I would guess would be a 50/50 split also with some saying they love it and others that say don't do it.

But like I said I don't feel you are wrong about foliar feeding different strokes for different folks. I would just have to expirement with it with a strain that I have grown and never foliar fed. I'll give it a try next time I flower my plants out to see if I really notice a increase of buds and if it doesn't effect the taste of the end product. I am always up to try new things so I'll put this method into my next grow and will report what I find when I am done.

This is a very strange statement

"I am sorry if I don't take old ass study's from some plant dude from over 64 years ago that also had nothing to do with cannibis buds that you will be inhaling."

Why does it matter when science proved something? You need to read actual agronomy books. Not weed growing books. People act like growing cannabis is some special thing. Like It differs so much from other plants. It doesn't. It's just another plant. It is actually easier to grow than most vegetable crops.

I look at it like this

"You mean we have known about the benefits of foliar feeding for 64 years yet you still don't do it?"

Seems you are 64 years behind plant science. :)

As far as smoking something that has been sprayed goes, there is no logic in that. Plants are suppose to be grown outside. Outside there is wind, rain, dust, animals, insects,etc..

If you ever grow a crop outside it will be covered in all kinds of things. Insect poop, bird poop, dust, pollen, dirt, etc.. So that argument doesn't even make sense.

I suppose if you are on the "sterile" plant growing train then it does. However plants are far from sterile, and their environment is not suppose to be either.

I would suggest experimenting with foliar feeding compost tea weekly. You will be amazed at the difference in your plants.

As far as people posting pictures to prove yields, that shows what camp you are in. It reminds me of every single dispensary owner I have talked with. Quantity over quality.

I have always grown for quality. I have never cared what my yields were.

Last dispensary owner I talked with "I will only hire a guy that can get 2lbs. per light."

Needless to say they have a bad rep for low quality buds. :)

gobyebye

Daub Marley has an interesting point - plants do tend to bring on an automatic response when threatened, when even their neighbours are threatened. Increased resin/terpene production could be a form of defensive response.

Chitin - a natural component of insects - is said to do the same as the plant interprets it as a huge influx of potential predators!

I understand what you are saying, but I'm trying to find something that would increase Trichome/terpene production without lowering yield , which that would do, because the fact is, that taking off more than 20% of fan leaves shocks the plant and stunts growth, there's stress that increases yield and that decreases.so I don't know if it might be better to wait until just before harvest after the buds have put on all they're weight, to pluck leaves;because that's something i might be interested in, is doing it after the plant is no longer growing

gobyebye

Effectiveness

"Dr. H.B. Tukey, renowned plant researcher and head of the Michigan State University (MSU) Department of Horticulture in the 1950s, working with research colleague S. H. Wittwer at MSU, first proved conclusively that foliar feeding of plant nutrients really works. Studies were conducted using radioactive phosphorus and potassium to verify its veracity. Plant foliage was sprayed and measured with a Geiger counter to observe absorption, movement, and the utilization of plant essential nutrients. Results from the experiments quantified plant nutrients moving at the rate of about one foot per hour to all parts of the plants."[2]
Foliar feeding is considered especially useful for introducing trace elements, or for "emergency" feeding of plants which are found to have a specific shortage. But in some cases, with tomatoes, for example, it is believed that foliar feeding during flower set causes a dramatic increase in fruit production.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foliar_feeding

Great post man! I'm in it for the increase in tomato production;p not only is foliar feeding great but as said above it an help with trace minerals,which I hope nobody has a problem with, I certainly don't; but I still spray lc10+7(humid acid )twice every crop just incase and this should treat any deficiencies...great post

gobyebye

I don't really understand what your saying? so you don't believe in quantum physics or anything else for that matter because it's an old but PROVEN concept? Just because there's no modern science on the subject( which I'm sure there is) it means it's not true? Fact is fact and bullshit is bullshit. The fact is that cannabis had the closest dna to a tomato plant, so I definitely find that article true.
But also like you said nobody is here to start an argue net everyone had they're opinion and until you try it and find out for yourself don't bag on it. I started this thread on increasing Trichome/terpene production..I already foliar feed and know it works great, so if you wanna debate on foliar feeding start a new thread.

Latest posts

Latest posts